Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Help with oil pan (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/90670-help-oil-pan.html)

Kingslayer 08-07-2015 01:21 AM

Help with oil pan

2 Attachment(s)
So...Long story short I hit something under my car and cracked the oil pan on my 2015 honda fit LX. Went to the dealership and was told I would be charged 1k for it. Said fuck that so I bought the part and switched them out with my partner. Now after getting everything hooked back up, I go to screw on the oil filter and I see this.
Attachment 86374
Attachment 86375
First image is the newly installed one. Second image is the old one. The new one is missing something, and I cant seem to find a way to get the old one out without stripping the threads. I don't see anything on the parts website that shows a part for that. There was nothing else in the package I got with the new oil pan. Anyone have any ideas?

doctordoom 08-07-2015 04:01 AM

http://estore.honda.com/honda/images.../T5A4E1300.png

90015-PH1-013 perhaps.

Black3sr 08-07-2015 04:32 AM

What if you had two nuts that fit and lock them on? May be able to remove that piece without damaging threads then?

kylerwho 08-07-2015 04:40 AM

I would use an internal pipe wrench to spin that adapter piece off.
Shop Superior Tool 1/2-in Pipe Adjustable Wrench at Lowes.com

if the old oil pan is off the car, take a propane torch and heat up the aluminum pan to help that insert be removed easily.

Carbuff2 08-07-2015 08:33 AM

I also recommend the double nut method.

Tho' if you saved enough money by avoiding the dealership, you would still come out ahead buying a new adapter (#8).

You MIGHT even be able to find an adapter at an autoparts store. (Bring an oil filter and old pan to assure everything fits, both thread size and thread DEPTH)

How long did it take you to swap the pan?

Rob22315 08-07-2015 06:37 PM

From bernardiparts.com, it's a $3.59 part (before shipping) - 90015-PH1-013

Just buy a new one and screw it in. It shows up on the diagram for 'Oil Pump - Oil Strainer' in the 'Engine' category.

DrewE 08-07-2015 11:19 PM

Another approach to removing the old one that might work would be to turn it with a cold chisel and a hammer from the inside of the old oil pan by striking it at a diagonal angle along the side. Two nuts jammed together would be preferable.

Heating it up with a torch before attempting removal might help, too. Obviously you don't want to go too far overboard and melt stuff or start a fire.

For a $3.59 part, it's probably not worth spending too much effort diddling around with the old one unless time is of the essence!

JerrySFL 09-10-2018 09:00 AM

No ,new oil pans do not come with the filter nipple. I would buy a new one from Honda along with the gasket o-rings for the dip stick tube , crank sensor and internal oil passage o-ring and use Honda Bond HT, works alot baetter than RTV. If you used RTV change your next filter2 early as any excess RTV will from silicone boggers that will clog your filter. The 2 nut method will work but Honda Bond or lock tite it in place so it does not come of when you pull the filter.

gnuelniloc 01-09-2019 06:19 PM

I had the same issue when I replaced my oil pan. I bought two nuts from Fastenal, and did the double nut as others suggested. I brought the damaged pan to them, and do not have the thread size on hand..

thats_it 08-02-2020 11:10 AM

I'm having a hard time screwing it in. Should I be able screw it in by hand? Threads look good on both the male and female side.

JerrySFL 08-02-2020 02:11 PM

Yes; you should be able to screw it in a couple of threads by hand, The thread on the oil pan in and the thread for the filter are different. Also don’t listen to anyone that tells you to heat up aluminum, with a touch, aluminum alloys will go from solid to liquid without warning and applying to much heAt will Change the alum and Turn it brittle. if you don’t have two nuts you can cut the bottom off of one filter and use another filter to turn it same thing. Or go to Home Depot in the plumbing section you’ll find an inside pipe wrench, when you turn it it’ll expand grab the inside of the nipple and you can tighten it.

thats_it 08-02-2020 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JerrySFL (Post 1449370)
Yes; you should be able to screw it in a couple of threads by hand, The thread on the oil pan in and the thread for the filter are different. Also don’t listen to anyone that tells you to heat up aluminum, with a touch, aluminum alloys will go from solid to liquid without warning and applying to much heAt will Change the alum and Turn it brittle. if you don’t have two nuts you can cut the bottom off of one filter and use another filter to turn it same thing. Or go to Home Depot in the plumbing section you’ll find an inside pipe wrench, when you turn it it’ll expand grab the inside of the nipple and you can tighten it.

Thanks! It can't go in by hand. I'm going to try the double nut method.