Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Thumping in time with wheel rotation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Thumping in time with wheel rotation.

My 08 gd (130,000 miles) is making a thumping sound in time with the rotation of the wheels. Its coming from the front and seems to happen more noticably at 20 to 50mph. Seems to only happen during very light acceleration or coasting. Extra passengers in the car make the sound more pronounced. I say thumping as it's no quite a knocking sound.

So far I have replaced both struts, pads and rotors and have inspected everything to the best of my ability. The axles look fine. No tears, excessive play or knocking during hard turns. The sway bar links and mounts are all tight and no play. Tires are new and sound was present before replacing. Wheels (alloy stock) are in OK shape, some curb rash from teaching my kid to drive but no damage since long before the noise started.

My only ideas left are upper strut mounts, axles or bearings.

What ideas do you guys have.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
do u feel this on ur pedals or steering wheel?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:58 PM
I'm inclined to say no as I've never noticed it in the wheel or pedals. Tomorrow, I'll be sure to pay attention to that.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Just took a quick drive and didn't feel it in the pedals or wheel. I actually didn't feel or hear the issue very much. A couple of times it did seem to be in time with any small bumbs on a reasonably flat road. Which has me leaning toward strut mounts.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Any update on this thread? I'm having a similar issue and can't seem to figure it out. Almost seems like mines coming from the transmission. Thanks guys.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Agreed

Yeah I think I'm having the same issue... Sounds familiar anyway. My guess was the the bearing or CV axle but I haven't tried anything yet

Old 02-22-2018, 09:04 AM
I think I might be having the same problem. I was driving about 45 when I started hearing a thumping sound, like a tire problem. I pulled into a parking lot and turned my tires one way and checked for bumps - . Turned the other - also no bumps on tires. I looked under the car and, then popped the hood. I didn't see anything wrong. When I left the parking lot there was no more sound. A few months ago, I had a grinding sound, a couple blocks from my house. I parked the car for a few minutes, then went back to try to figure out what it was, but the noise was gone when I took it back out. I have tried driving in tight circles to check the bearings, but no noise there either. 2013 Honda Fit Base. 94,000 miles. anybody got any ideas?

Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Thumping?

I have a 2016 LX base. 27k miles. I've been looking for a solution to this myself. Here's my scenario -

Paved, but sanded road (from winter). 35mph downhill. Coasting after braking. Thumping in time (or nearly so) with tire rotation from right passenger wheel. Light acceleration and/or coasting and the sound continues until stop at stop sign approx. 1/4 mile away. Accelerating from there, sound disappears every time...except one or two times. In any case, after the car is turned off (approx another 1/4 mile) and allowed to sit, the sound stops. State inspection and new tires approx. 4 weeks prior to first incident. Has happened several times. Seemed to stop after the road was swept a bit (but still significant quantities of sand on road). Weirdly, the sound would not appear going back up the road/hill, only down. That had been the only place that I heard the sound until this past week.

This past week, I was braking from 70mph on clean, dry highway to a smaller road. Once I got down to about 30mph, the sound appeared. It continued until I parked (approx. 1/4 mile from exit). I meant to check it out before I started the car again, but forgot and didn't hear the sound again since.

At this point, I'm not sure whether it's something more than an object getting stuck in the wheel or what? I can't reproduce it whenever a mechanically inclined friend is available for a ride. I can't get it to happen consistently. It was something that happened on one stretch of road semi-consistently for a brief period spanning approximately 2 weeks. Now, it seems to be more frequent. Anyone have any thoughts?