Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Ge8 hella supertones

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:15 AM
Ge8 hella supertones

Hello guys i need help wiring the hella supertones.
Ive searched the forum and the write ups are outdated along with the links w/ pictures.
I know how to solder/splice/crimp

I have
20ft 12g wire (red and black)
Male connectors .250
Female connectors 12g
Crimp tubes
Relay
Crimp tool
In line fuse w/ 30amp fuse

I know where im going to mount these as well as where my grounds will go.

What i dont know is how to wire it all up so i can use my supertones w/ actual horn AND lock/alarm horn.

I know where the horn is as well as the horn for the alarm.
I know how to remove the bumper as well and have plenty of space and equipment to get this all hooked up.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 2013 ge8 sport.
Help me and ill send you a small gift of my choice.
Thanks in advance.
I know some of you are running this setup but like i said the old links and stuff are outdated.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
The only potential problem I can see is that the supertones might draw too much current compared to the standard horns and so you might overload the circuits that the standard horns run off.

If their current draw is the same (or lower) then you can simply wire the supertones to the existing wires extending them as necessary to reach wherever you have decided to place them. It should be fine to just bring both the normal horn wire and the alarm horn wire to the supertones and connect them there.

But, what's the current rating of the supertones? And how does that compare with the stock horns? If it is significantly higher you may need to upgrade fuses, relays and even the wiring.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member
OK, looking at this a bit further and reading the comments on Amazon it seems that if you want the full volume you will have to provide a new fuse, relay and wiring. You no doubt got a relay with the horns.

I don't have access to a GE8 sport wiring diagram - you will need one.

The GD1 diagram on this site shows the horn wired like this

That means you will want to wire your new relay according to diagram 2a here.

On the GD1 you would need to cut the orange wire from the stock horn relay and then wire it to the new relay. Your car may be different but the horn relay is where you will need to take your connection.

As far as the alarm goes I have no idea as the diagram on site here doesn't include one. There will be I assume another horn relay if there's another horn and you will have to cut the switch wire to it and connect that to the new relay. It will connect to the same place as the normal horn. Hopefully you can connect the two together and then run a single new wire to the new relay.

Not sure if this helps at all - No gift is necessary anyway. I actually like this kind of puzzle. If you can find a circuit diagram for your car it would be extremely useful.

Edit to add. I now see that there is a GE8 manual on this site. looking now.

Last edited by Wage Slave; 05-13-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
OK so, the GE8 horn wiring is very similiar. Here - You'll have to scroll down I can't link directly.

You will need to find the relay and disconnect the orange wire (at terminal 3) and connect it to your new relay terminal 86. And also reconnect the white/purple wire (at terminal 4) to new relay terminal 85.

Is your car left hand drive with security? If so, you should find the relay somewhere under or behind the under dash fusebox attached to the MICU. Have a look here - again scroll down to horns to find the diagram.

As for the alarm horn, it's relay is in the MCU unit built into the under dash fusebox as far as I can see. I can't understand the diagram - there are some symbols I don't recognise and there may be some detail missing so I'm not at all sure what's going on.

But - Isn't there an easier way to do all this? Why not wire the new relay as if the horn push was connect to positive and then you could simply run a connection from the wires that are currently powering both horns to the new relay terminal 86 as in diagram 2b. You would then just be using the existing relays to switch the new relay which is a round about way of doing it but it would work fine (I think) and you wouldn't have to go delving into the fusebox or modifying your original wiring.

All at your risk obviously - and I am not a pro so be be warned. It will be interesting to hear what others think of that solution.

Last edited by Wage Slave; 05-13-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:19 AM
Awesome work! I was able to use some of the diagrams but that route was a little more complex because I didn't want to go and look at where all the wires were running from xD
I am currently drawing a diagram of how I wired it using JUST the materials I bought and the stock horn wire which you said was purple. I didn't notice any white on it but it did have silver spots :b anyways I was able to get it all wired up and I took some pictures of the post install. I am more than likely going to go back and shorten the lengths of the wires as well as loom them up and tuck them in better. For now, I will enjoy my new horns!

P.S I didn't wire my horns to the lock system but I think I'll leave it as it is because I don't want to lock my car at night and my hella horns blaring

WILL post pictures soon!

Old 05-14-2016, 03:53 AM
5 Year Member
Yep. Use the purple wire running to the stock horn and wire the new relay according to diagram 2b as above. Then, you will be using the old relay to switch the new relay and there really is nothing wrong with that - it's just a bit long winded is all. Don't know why it took me so long to realise it.

Anyway, you obviously have it working and that's the acid test.