Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Driver Side Key/ Add a Fuse issue (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/94867-driver-side-key-add-fuse-issue.html)

UrAll2ez 12-29-2016 01:51 AM

Driver Side Key/ Add a Fuse issue

Sorry i'm new here, not sure if i'm posting in the right spot. Never been too good with forums.

Hello all and thanks for taking a look.

I have a Honda Fit 2007 Base Model which I am having some issues with.
Basically the drivers side door key mechanism is becoming more stiff. You have to shimmy the key in there and once it's fully in you can rotate the key to unlock.

It's clearly on it's way and becoming harder to get the key in there. I have a backup key and it happens for both so I know it's the door.

I haven't yet tried WD-40 or graphite to help free up the mechanism. But assuming I try that and it doesn't free it up, would you all recommend I take apart the door and add a remote key fob to the car?

Are there any links or guides to parts / tutorials anyone is familiar with? I tried searching on the forum and didn't have any luck.

My second issue is I just bought a Spy Tec A119 Dash cam with the hard wire kit. I got it all the way over to the fuse box and used an "Add a fuse", tapping into number 12 which was the rear wiper. I had the 2x 10A fuses on the add a fuse, and the dash cam would power up, but not having enough current it will power back down and then restart itself. Attempting to restart ECT. and is stuck in more of a loop.

New dash cam, and if you plug into the 12V cig lighter instead of using a hardwire kit it works fine. So i've troubleshot that far.

I don't know much about electricity like I should, but I do have a volt meter and can poke around if needed.

Anyone else got something hardwired into the fuse box with an "add a fuse"?
Youtube and other sites online weren't offering a simple solution.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

n9cv 12-30-2016 02:30 AM

Check the ground connection.

Put WD-40 in the lock.

ezone 01-04-2017 01:33 PM

Lock cylinder(s) that jam up probably just have worn out tumblers. Retumbling a lock is pretty easy IF you can find someone who has the tumbler kit for Hondas sidewinder locks. A good Honda/Acura dealer SHOULD have the kit BUT not all personnel in the dealers know it even exists or know it is possible to do this sort of work.
Local lock shops may have the sidewinder tumbler kit too, call around and ask before driving all over the place.
Labor to do the work may not be cheap. It's always cheaper if you can remove and install the lock cylinder yourself and carry it in to the shop to be retumbled.

Keyless entry is normally installed all under the dash, no work in the doors is necessary. (the car already has power locks)
You can purchase an extremely cheap keyless entry kit for about $12 on Amazon. IDK if it has car-specific installation instructions though, you may need some wiring diagrams for your particular car to get it installed.
One of my coworkers installed this on his older Accord a couple years ago-- and it still works.

My dashcam is connected---or rather its 12v adapter is spliced--into the wiring on the back of my power outlet, leaving the outlet open for other stuff (phone charger, etc.)