Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

07 Irregular Jerking at a full stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:33 AM
07 Irregular Jerking at a full stop

Hey guys,

So recently my Fit has started this random jerking when I come to a stop. It definitely seems to go away when I start driving again.

Here are the things i've noticed.
- it's irregular. Seems to have no pattern. Sometimes it jerks once during a stop sometimes it jerks 10+ times one right after another. Sometimes it jerks once then a long pause followed by a few more.

- it's worst when the a.c. Is on. Rate of jerking increases.

- Doesn't seem to happen in Park.

- RPM Doesn't change.

- No CEL

- Finally took a look at the engine while it was happening. The entire engine jerks forward.

Is this just bad engine mounts or something else going on? Has anyone had this issue before?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Misfires/coil going bad?

Old 11-26-2017, 05:33 PM
I have an 09 Base with a similar issue. I've noticed, over the last couple of months, an increasingly loud sound coming from the front during driving. I'm not a mechanic so all I can do is poke at it with a stick. After a fair amount of reading/Youtubing/etc., I was about resigned to changing front wheel bearings. I'd already replaced both rotors and pads myself to eliminate brake pulsation. I was surprised to find the noise did not go away with the brake pulsation. So, while I'm scratching my head over this, my wife calls to tell me she's noticed the Fit has learned a new trick. While sitting at a stop light, there will occasionally be a slight jerking. I hadn't noticed that before so I paid more attention as I was driving later. Sure enough, the slight jerking has no pattern. I did notice that not only did it do it during stops, but at high speed driving, it would sometimes slightly shutter. I suspect it is the same root cause but then, I'm guessing.
I had not thought to watch the motor during a stop. Are you in or out of gear while you watch it happen?
I will switch AC on/off to see if this changes the frequency of the occurrence. I suspect the engine runs slightly harder to overcome the AC load. If this is a transaxle issue, that might cause the increased frequency.
Based upon how it behaves, I suspect something has worn to the point where it is occasionally catching, perhaps a worn bearing. I'm just guessing again though.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds to me like misfire, it may be due for a set of 4 ignition coils

Old 12-02-2017, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Inspect the transmission/motor mount at the left front. These are known to disintegrate.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Penquin
Hey guys,

So recently my Fit has started this random jerking when I come to a stop. It definitely seems to go away when I start driving again.

Here are the things i've noticed.
- it's irregular. Seems to have no pattern. Sometimes it jerks once during a stop sometimes it jerks 10+ times one right after another. Sometimes it jerks once then a long pause followed by a few more.

- it's worst when the a.c. Is on. Rate of jerking increases.

- Doesn't seem to happen in Park.

- RPM Doesn't change.

- No CEL

- Finally took a look at the engine while it was happening. The entire engine jerks forward.

Is this just bad engine mounts or something else going on? Has anyone had this issue before?
My car recently started doing this. It would jerk just a little bit when I had it in park or was stopped at a light. Then one day, the car was jerking nonstop and could not accelerate above 35mph. The CEL was flashing, so I got it to my mechanic right away and he had to replace an ignition coil. After that the car was great (until another ignition coil went bad) it was super easy to change myself!

Old 01-06-2018, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by Lyndsey Nicole Burke
My car recently started doing this. It would jerk just a little bit when I had it in park or was stopped at a light. Then one day, the car was jerking nonstop and could not accelerate above 35mph. The CEL was flashing, so I got it to my mechanic right away and he had to replace an ignition coil. After that the car was great (until another ignition coil went bad) it was super easy to change myself!
Im having the same problem. Low idle, jerking acceleration,feeling a bit heavy on acceleration. already changed sparkplugs. Havent tried ignition coil yet. Could it be my coil packs?