Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Help baby on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Help baby on the way!

My fiance and I have a baby on the way and the middle seat belt in the back of my 2010 fit is almost chewed through from the previous owners dog every place I call has 07 but nobody has a 2009 to 2014. Does anybody know if an 07 Center seat belt in the rear will fit a 2010?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
You sure you need that center belt?

If you only have one child, they are supposed to be in the passenger side rear seat and facing towards the rear.

I'm all for cutting costs on 90% of car related things, but maybe not seat belts for an infant. If you do need a new belt for their baby seat, I'd buy a new one from Honda. They are all still available. Check out Hondapartsnow.com or another online retailer.

If you for some reason need that center belt, it's $237 new from Honda. That's probably money well spent compared to the $1,000,000,000,000,000, 000 that new baby is going to cost.

I have a 7 year old, so I kind of understand the stress. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2018, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
You sure you need that center belt?

If you only have one child, they are supposed to be in the passenger side rear seat and facing towards the rear.!
The center seat is always the safest place for a child. If you only have one it is advised and recommend to place them in the center. If you have 2 the youngest gets the center. Rear facing until 4 is the new recommendation most states say a year by law.

Also just because the tether system (I can’t think of the name now) can reach the anchor points does not mean the car was designed to have a seat anchored in the center. I believe in the Fit the center is not so a seatbelt should
be used. The owners manual will tell you.

Congratulations also!!! Welcome to the scariest and most joyful part of life

I second the OEM belt too. Can’t be too sure on safety.

Last edited by GolNat; 08-19-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I stand corrected. Maybe I got my mis-information from working with our Fit.

I'm not sure which is better for a Fit...center rear using the seat belt or passenger side rear and getting to use both the LATCH system and rear anchor. The LATCH method lets you get the seat really good and secure.

For what it's worth, we were those nervous parents that went with the advice of professionals for most things. We had our fire department help with the seat install. They are VERY happy to help with this stuff and like when parents take the initiative. They had us install the seat on the passenger side for the Fit.

Good luck with whatever you choose and congrats on the new family addition.

Last edited by GAFIT; 08-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Center is indeed safest, and rear facing is also safest basically until they can no longer fit facing the rear.

In my research (I have a 3 year old), most vehicles smaller than about crossover size don't officially allow it as LATCH spacing isn't correct.

All cars have LATCH these days and it is always better than using a belt. Above a certain age, the child needs to use the belt as well, but that's a few years down the road so I won't cover that here.

Both car manufacturers and child seat manufacturers are obviously very explicit about the details as they need to have any possible lawsuit covered, of course.

Official stance for putting the car seat in the center is BOTH the car seat manufacturer AND the auto manufacturer need to state that center placement is allowed. Either through a dedicated center LATCH or by 'borrowing' the innermost anchor from each side.

My personal experience:

We have a 2016 Forester and a 2017 Fit. The Forester has two sets of LATCH anchors for the outer seating positions. Center positioning is officially not allowed. The Fit does not allow it, neither is the spacing conducive to center placement. My in-laws have a new CRV, which is about the same size, and it has an extra anchor for center positioning and is allowed.

Our Evenflo seat states that 'borrowing' is acceptable if the spacing is within a certain width range. Not all seats state this.

We have put the seat in the center of the Forester as it's within spacing allowed by Evenflo and it actually fits very well, even though Subaru doesn't officially allow it. We've also had it in the passenger side location.

The Fit, it only fits on the sides regardless of what's allowed or not officially. LATCH spacing would make 'borrowing' anchors from either side for center placement far too narrow.

Even so, rear-facing seats tend to require more room so center placement may not work at all in the Fit anyway. Depends on the seat.

Anyway, all that said, take away the following for your infant and your Fit:
Use LATCH when possible. Not the belt.
Face to the rear until they can physically no longer fit.
Place the seat on the passenger side rear.
If you want to place the seat in the center, get a larger vehicle.
I hereby absolve myself legally from any of the above advice. Take it at your own risk and your own judgement, lol.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by sneefy; 08-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
Anyway, all that said, take away the following for our infant and your Fit:
Use LATCH. Not the belt.
Face to the rear.
Place the seat on the passenger side rear.
I hereby absolve myself legally from any of the above advice. Take it at your own risk and your own judgement, lol.

Hope that helps!
That would be what our fire department had us do and they do accept legal responsibility to some degree. They are trained and authorized to make these determinations.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
That would be what our fire department had us do and they do accept legal responsibility to some degree. They are trained and authorized to make these determinations.
Yes. When in doubt, head to your local police station or fire department. Both can and will gladly help.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
They have you use latch because it's harder to get a non latch setup to fit securely. Sure center is safest but not if that seat is going to move about.. My two cents. Rule of thumb is, if you can move seat by hand, it's not tight enough. Rear facing until they look squashed. And then as they get bigger, more movement is permissible.

I'd not screw around with belts. Buy a new one. Can you even find used belts for sale? If not that tells me something.