Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/)
-   -   Help with Heater control bulb replacement (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/99123-help-heater-control-bulb-replacement.html)

der Mond 10-01-2018 06:26 PM

Help with Heater control bulb replacement

The manual is not clear on how many bulbs are needed of what kind in order to replace the bulbs for the three rotary knobs for temperature, fan and heat/defrost. Has anyone done this? I don't want to remove the whole unit again just to see what bulbs to purchase. Thank you.

ezone 10-01-2018 11:34 PM

https://estore.honda.com/honda/parts...n=&b=B++17&dl=

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...bc3f58a033.png
Bulb #7, (T5), parts catalog says qty 4 in this image

der Mond 10-03-2018 03:56 PM

Thanks, and if you can show me where quantity 4 is listed in the parts catalog, I would appreciate it. I can't find that.

ezone 10-03-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by der Mond (Post 1414496)
if you can show me where quantity 4 is listed in the parts catalog,

I only found that in the real dealership parts catalog.

der Mond 10-04-2018 03:00 AM

Thanks again...

There is no substitute for dealership input...bulbs on order.
A/C clutch kit should be here for the w/e.

der Mond 10-11-2018 06:53 PM

The light bulbs come with a blue condom - I assume this is to dim them down. I took the condoms off and I have to say I like the nice bright heater control lights for the first time...:rotfl:

GAFIT 10-12-2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by der Mond (Post 1415015)
The light bulbs come with a blue condom - I assume this is to dim them down. I took the condoms off and I have to say I like the nice bright heater control lights for the first time...:rotfl:

But, what if they make babies and you end up with more bulbs? :rotfl:

Wonder if the blue was meant to change the color? Either way, glad you are happy with the results!

Where did you order the bulbs from and how hard were they to change?

der Mond 10-12-2018 03:49 PM

I get all my Honda parts from Majestic Honda - aka hondaautomotiveparts.com. Changing the bulbs is a PIA. You need to remove the lower trim piece below the heater knobs (one screw) then get up in there from the bottom with a 5/16 socket and extension and remove two screws that hold the center console in place. A mirror can help depending on how dexterous you are. Then you pull the center panel with stereo out and one by one remove the electrical connectors to the panel, and after removing the glovebox you d/c the three HVAC cables from their destinations so you can pull the center panel out enough to get at the lights, that are twist-locked into the white unit at the bottom. It is really worth it to use the Honda '07-'08 service manual, or alldatadiy.com. for diagrams and step-by-step. Don't try to pry that center panel out, it is held in by the screws and comes out easily once they are out. Good luck.

hortonma 02-07-2019 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by der Mond (Post 1415091)
I get all my Honda parts from Majestic Honda - aka hondaautomotiveparts.com. Changing the bulbs is a PIA. You need to remove the lower trim piece below the heater knobs (one screw) then get up in there from the bottom with a 5/16 socket and extension and remove two screws that hold the center console in place. A mirror can help depending on how dexterous you are. Then you pull the center panel with stereo out and one by one remove the electrical connectors to the panel, and after removing the glovebox you d/c the three HVAC cables from their destinations so you can pull the center panel out enough to get at the lights, that are twist-locked into the white unit at the bottom. It is really worth it to use the Honda '07-'08 service manual, or alldatadiy.com. for diagrams and step-by-step. Don't try to pry that center panel out, it is held in by the screws and comes out easily once they are out. Good luck.

Which bulbs did you order and how many? Looking at the parts diagram, was it item #4 or item #7 or a different bulb?
Thanks!

der Mond 02-07-2019 06:33 PM

Bulb

Bulb (T5) (14V 100MA)

79555-SLN-003

This is #7. The diagram on the Honda parts sites, as well as alldatadiy and the Shop Manual, are really weak in showing this. It appears on the top left of the Honda diagrams and shows just one instead of the 4 needed. And the diagram that comes up when you select it is really moronic. The other bulbs are used for the A/C and rear defroster switches. The bulb comes with a blue cover that will provide a mild light for the dial, or you can just peel off the blue as I did; of course it provides a brighter light, then. Good Luck!

hortonma 02-07-2019 07:59 PM

Thank you very much. I used the link you provided to order the 4 bulbs. Very reasonable price AND shipping.
Thanks again,
Mark H

der Mond 02-08-2019 12:26 AM

Glad to hear it. I've used Majestic Honda for years, great folks, good prices and good service.