Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Defective Header? *Read my rant*

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Defective Header? *Read my rant*

I bought a Megan header from a vendor on this forum. I wont mention the name yet.
Ive tried everything to get the header to seal! Ive removed and installed the header about 6 times in 2 days.

The first time I installed it I noticed the leak right away of course. You cant hear the leak at idle. The motor must be under some sort of load. Slight revving and driving. Just like a rustling of a bag.

Drove it around like that. Sucked, I hated it.

Pulled the header the next day. Everything looked fine. The gaskets were perfect, no signs of leaking at all. The bottom donut looked like I didnt tighten the spring-bolts evenly but thats it.
I add some copper gasket maker/sealer; let it settle and reassemble.

Start it up..... Same leak.

I took it apart in like 10min. At this point its nature. Add a THICK layer of the sealer and try spacers on the bolts because I thought the bolts were bottoming out in the head and not tightening the flanges enough.

Assemble, start, leak.

So, today... I take my OEM gasket to work and buy a new donut from Autozone. The new donut actually looked better than the one supplied from Megan. It better! It was $10!!

I coat header gasket from Megan AGAIN with the copper sealer. I also add a coat on the donut. I figured might as well try replacing the donut since I didnt yet.
Put it all together AGAIN, start her up and what do you know? LEAKS! YAY!!!

Pull it all apart, add the OEM gasket against the header (w/ copper sealant) and the Megan gasket (w/ copper sealant) along with the donut (w/ copper sealant). Still leaks.

I actually had one of my coworkers cover my muffler as I revved. Leaked like a bitch! But I couldnt find where, the header was too hot to feel around. My guess, where they meet in the middle. Welds look sloppy and some dont even look finished.

All these leaking noises sound the same also. It never got better or worse.

All in all, my header is defective. It must be leaking at the welds or something.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
did you check to see if the header flange is warped?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I added 2 gaskets. The softer gasket was against the header. I set the header down on a metal table at work. Looked completely flat to me.
If the flange is warped I dont think its my problem either way. The header was brand new...although I did notice a few dings in the pipes.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
No warranty??

Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
No warranty??
ditto.... I would check warrenty

Old 01-29-2007, 11:05 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
have you called megan racing? I know their stuff has warranty. You can call and talk to Andrew hes the one who helped me out when they used my car.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Cap the primary tube flange with something flat (like duct tape) and fill the thing up with water at the collector. That will tell you really quick if you have any pinhole leaks in the welds. I've done this before on my Mustang headers...really amusing to see two or three tiny streams of water coming from the welds! If anywhere, it will probably be from the 4-1 or 4-2-1 joint.

Did you say you are using 2 header gaskets? I'm not sure if I read that right, but I think you'll only compound your issues if using two.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your header problem. I always say you get what you pay for. I would prefer the mugen or spoon header my self. A little pricey but excellent quality. Now Im not trashing megan racing at all but I would have gone with the honda experts. Good luck resolving your issue.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Hey all.

I really dont think I should be contacting Megan. I think the vendor I bought it from should. Why should I go through the time talking to MeganRacing when Im not the person that sold it to me?

What I really want is to send the header back (not using my money) have them send me a new one and they can consult with Megan.

I havent heard anything that bad about Megan. Little things here and there. Great prices and good quality. I did install Megan downpipes on my friends 350z had Megan. Blew a hole in the welds around the highflow cat after 5 days. Exhaust pipe just flew off.

When I installed them I knew I heard a leak. We just couldnt find it.

Last edited by Raaaaaaaaaay.; 01-30-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Megan header that has been problem free so far.

My suggestion would be to contact Megan directly and voice your displeasure with their product. A simple phone call or e-mail will go a long way. If customer service means anything to them, they will fix it. You never know - Megan Racing may "hook you up" for all your troubles.

Edited to add Megan Racing's contact number - (626)581-0988

The vendor you purchased it from is simply the middleman reseller that probably got a lemon from Megan and shouldn't reflect negatively on the vendor.

Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Hey all.

I really dont think I should be contacting Megan. I think the vendor I bought it from should. Why should I go through the time talking to MeganRacing when Im not the person that sold it to me?

What I really want is to send the header back (not using my money) have them send me a new one and they can consult with Megan.

I havent heard anything that bad about Megan. Little things here and there. Great prices and good quality. I did install Megan downpipes on my friends 350z had Megan. Blew a hole in the welds around the highflow cat after 5 days. Exhaust pipe just flew off.

When I installed them I knew I heard a leak. We just couldnt find it.

Last edited by Wave; 01-30-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
While megan products look great, ive seen nothing but problems with them, a friend bought a 92-00 Civic SOHC Header from them and it touched the radiator and we had to take hte 02 sensor out because it hit the fan shroud, they look extremely good but work like crap

Old 01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Basically not to diss on Megan or anything but I just think their stuff is crap. I've always stood by the slogan "You get what you pay for" and well while Megan does look good their price might say a thing or two about their overall quality and or fitment. I had a set of Megan headers on my 92 integra and the install was just horrible. It seems like they rushed the design and fitting it in was anything but pretty. I had a set of their rear strut bars for the integra as well but was not very impressed with quality of materials. Oh and one more thing, I had a lower rear tie bar for the integra which didn't even fit! So yeah... SMILES

Old 01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
he shouldn't have to contact megan himself. that IMO is the retailers job.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I saw this, I did a water test on my Megan header today, and wouldnt you know it... water was leaking out from the welds at the 4-1 and around the bung for the o2 sensor...

Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
what pattern are you using to tighten the headers?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07TaffetaFit
I'm glad I saw this, I did a water test on my Megan header today, and wouldnt you know it... water was leaking out from the welds at the 4-1 and around the bung for the o2 sensor...
i think we found the problem, lol damn

Old 01-31-2007, 08:23 PM
If I were you I would send the header back to the vendor and ask for a refund. I would also email Megan racing and tell them that their fit header sucks. Then go out and buy your self a mugen, spoon, or j's racing header. Yeah they cost more but their way better quality and have gone through research and development too!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, this is nothing new -- saw essentially the same post on the Scion boards when I had my xB. You do get what you pay for, and cheap usually ends up costing more than if you had just bought the good part initially. I'd get my money back and call it a day on Megan.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
I contacted Megan Racing and they are sending me a new header...I told them everything, so we'll see what happens. I wish I had money for a $500+ header...but for the gains I cant see paying that.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
damn its a good thing i read this thread b/c i was just about to order one. Ima wait for the j's racing header 2 see how much that one is and compared to the dc headers. idk the price for the megan racing is tempting me. plus, if i have a problem like everybody else, i live close 2 the headquarters of megan racing and i ain't afraid 2 drive down there. =]

Quick Reply: Defective Header? *Read my rant*