Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   stock air box mod!!! (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/13457-stock-air-box-mod.html)

George02 05-04-2007 11:50 PM

nylon panty hose will help everything out, will stop big particles and not steal any of my air... and rubber lining doesnt sound too bad, the box needs work i kno but it was a quick thing. I plan to make it look better. might jus take it off? I have a fujita short ram, but might jus wait till I get NOS to run it

805FitSport 05-05-2007 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by George02 (Post 138198)
nylon panty hose will help everything out, will stop big particles and not steal any of my air... and rubber lining doesnt sound too bad, the box needs work i kno but it was a quick thing. I plan to make it look better. might jus take it off? I have a fujita short ram, but might jus wait till I get NOS to run it

your car reminds me of mine, i miss it sooo much... im getting all emo.. haha http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8.../frontFit2.jpg

George02 05-05-2007 02:42 PM

uh yea alot!

spider2k 05-05-2007 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by George02 (Post 138033)
this site doesn't need ppl like him, we all enjoy new knowledge about our cars, but not in correct facts. it was more of an argument than some advice. and who said some1 was excepting a whole lot of hp? I was excepting more like 2-3 hp max, that's nothing big.

incorrect facts? you are the one who cut a hole in your airbox, and now that it makes more noise u think its faster. wander over to s2ki and youll realize that man knows more about cars than you ever will. too bad you ran him off acting like an idiot. now i know why i miss the s2ki boards and dont come here as often.

he stated simple facts and you prefer what YOU think instead. enjoy the performance gain oh engine guru.

George02 05-05-2007 07:43 PM

s2ki sucks ass, thats why I never went on there.. he didnt offer shit, dont get mad cuz your buddy is not on here anymore, and if you dont like this fourm then you can leave too :D

Chikubi 05-05-2007 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by spider2k (Post 138325)
incorrect facts? you are the one who cut a hole in your airbox, and now that it makes more noise u think its faster. wander over to s2ki and youll realize that man knows more about cars than you ever will. too bad you ran him off acting like an idiot. now i know why i miss the s2ki boards and dont come here as often.

he stated simple facts and you prefer what YOU think instead. enjoy the performance gain oh engine guru.

I don't care how much he knows, or whether he was right or wrong, 2 posts into his stint here and he's copping an attitude, talking down to people, and generally trying to throw his weight around. It would've been great for him to share his experience with the members here, and we all could've benefitted I'm sure, but if that comes with the price of having to deal with egos, a superiority complex, and a general lack of patience for dealing with people who may not be as savvy or just starting to tune, then fck him we don't want him here. There's too many nice people who know just as much if not more about cars and are more than willing to share that info without the attitude to worry about Dave the S2k Guy.

Besides, all he mentioned was some regurgitated crap from the Hondata site for their intake gasket. Not saying the info was wrong, but it wasn't like it was tuning genius either. It's been posted here numerous times in various intake threads.

dank24 05-05-2007 11:17 PM

This is a very common mod for EP's also, I did it to my ep3 (search under jdm airbox mod). So yea whoever is saying its dumb is wrong (imo). It works better then a SRI because it works as a heat shield along with more air flow, so it is good.

xorbe 05-05-2007 11:31 PM

I don't know whether the mod is good or just for fun, but I thought it was cool. Either way that dude was throwing down major attitude...

If I want to cut my hood in half and call it a mod, as long as I'm happy with my ride, right? :D Can't argue with weight reduction. :p Okay nevermind

pimpvw 05-06-2007 02:13 AM

all i can say is what an a$$.we dont need people like that on here

George02 05-06-2007 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by xorbe (Post 138373)
I don't know whether the mod is good or just for fun, but I thought it was cool. Either way that dude was throwing down major attitude...

If I want to cut my hood in half and call it a mod, as long as I'm happy with my ride, right? :D Can't argue with weight reduction. :p Okay nevermind

bahaha thats wat im talking about, that was a good one... But its true we dont need ppl like that here in the fourm

utnorris 05-06-2007 02:48 PM

Quick qeustion, has anyone else tried this and does anyone know what the gain is for real? 1% to 5% HP gain? Also, was this done without the K&N air filter so that we know this isn't a result of the new filter?

This reminds me of some mods that I do on computers when I want some improvments while waiting to be able to get a more expensive solution that obviously would work better, i.e. pulling the side of the case off for cooler temps in order to overclock the cpu until I get a better heatsink. my point is that this seems like a great way to get better airflow while I save up for a CAI or even a SRI (haven't decided which is really better).

On a side note, if the air flow on the stock air box is coming from the side already, couldn't you modify it to allow more air flow and thereby solve the debate over the hot air from the radiator? Just a thought.

Thanks,

Utnorris

George02 05-06-2007 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by utnorris (Post 138480)
Quick qeustion, has anyone else tried this and does anyone know what the gain is for real? 1% to 5% HP gain? Also, was this done without the K&N air filter so that we know this isn't a result of the new filter?

On a side note, if the air flow on the stock air box is coming from the side already, couldn't you modify it to allow more air flow and thereby solve the debate over the hot air from the radiator? Just a thought.

Thanks,

Utnorris

there is gain with stock filter, went to the track and was running 17.6(sad I kno) and jus went last night and ran 16.9. jus installed a k&n filter and adds some more breath.. and modifying the hose would b hard and not sure if it would even work?

kentris 05-06-2007 03:46 PM

There is a way to mod the stock airbox without having to mash it up like george did (sorry couldn't find the right word lol).

I think some people over at the jffc fit/jazz club and singapore owners club have found a way to snap some parts of the stock airbox thus allowing better airflow, but without having to do what george did.

George02 05-06-2007 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by kentris (Post 138490)
There is a way to mod the stock airbox without having to mash it up like george did (sorry couldn't find the right word lol).

I think some people over at the jffc fit/jazz club and singapore owners club have found a way to snap some parts of the stock airbox thus allowing better airflow, but without having to do what george did.

no offense taken brother, got frustrated with it after awhile, Im sure after learning the box I couldve came up with a better Idea

kentris 05-06-2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by George02 (Post 138494)
no offense taken brother, got frustrated with it after awhile, Im sure after learning the box I couldve came up with a better Idea

Hahah yeah know what you mean.

Although if it works, then meh why not?.

I think I'm gonna head to a scrap yard and find myself a airbox for a jazz when I have time. I could mod that and then replace it with my airbox.

George02 05-06-2007 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by kentris (Post 138504)
Hahah yeah know what you mean.

Although if it works, then meh why not?.

I think I'm gonna head to a scrap yard and find myself a airbox for a jazz when I have time. I could mod that and then replace it with my airbox.

that would b a good idea? im taking mine off today and replacing it with my short ram, gonna see wat else can b done to help it out?

Arisenfury 05-06-2007 07:24 PM

If you pop off that bubble resonator and either leave it off/cap it off, then open the air box and take out the filter, in the bottom right is a small hole that leads to the bigger resonator on the left side of the box. Take some duct tape and tape off the hole and you now have no resonators reducing the airflow and muffling the sound, while still feeding in cooler air from behind the headlight.

George02 05-06-2007 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Arisenfury (Post 138544)
If you pop off that bubble resonator and either leave it off/cap it off, then open the air box and take out the filter, in the bottom right is a small hole that leads to the bigger resonator on the left side of the box. Take some duct tape and tape off the hole and you now have no resonators reducing the airflow and muffling the sound, while still feeding in cooler air from behind the headlight.

good info mang!

kentris 05-06-2007 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Arisenfury (Post 138544)

by bubble resonator, you mean that big ass thing that sticks up in the air that's attached the airflow tube going into the airbox?

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/...935-3-7002.jpg

And which left side resonator? I can only see the corner of the airbox that's not even part of the bit where the filter is held.

Arisenfury 05-06-2007 11:53 PM

By bubble, yes I mean that thing lol.

The second resonator is that plastic thing attached to the airbox directly to the left with the 3 lines on it. If you take the air filter out and feel around down in the bottom right of the airbox you'll be able to feel a hole that runs to the left into that resonator which robs airflow and therefore also quiets the sound. I took a few pieces of duct tape and taped it off and noticed not much more performance gain but the sound is nice and I don't have a huge hole in my airbox.