Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

stock air box mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
stock air box mod!!!

I jus cut open the bottom half of my air box, and WOW!!! wat a difference! def something that should b done, picking up my k&n drop in later today. will post some pics

Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
any pics??

Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm actually off my phone so I can't right now, but give me about an hour and ill hook some pics up.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George02
I'm actually off my phone so I can't right now, but give me about an hour and ill hook some pics up.
pics????????????

Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Times up. Wheres the Pic?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
pics are here! haha my handy work is not the best, but plan on making it look better.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 PM
stock air box mod

so this is now a modified short box intake?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
what did you use a butcher knife? lol

Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Interesting... I suppose its a cheap way to make your Fit sound louder.. but as for performance gains.. I don't see this really working. The hole that is cut is directly over the transmission and that rad hose.. would that not just allow hot air to rise up into the intake?

I know other short rams kind of do the same thing, but the filter is more of an open element system...

I'd be curious to see that on a dyno!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
haha I used a dremel tool, but the box has a wicked maze so it was hard to cut and make look pretty, and I feel the hp diff, not so restricted. I want to put it on a dyno soon to see any difference? Its jus something for now, until j's racing comes out with their usdm fitted intake

Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by YeeFit
Interesting... I suppose its a cheap way to make your Fit sound louder.. but as for performance gains.. I don't see this really working. The hole that is cut is directly over the transmission and that rad hose.. would that not just allow hot air to rise up into the intake?

I know other short rams kind of do the same thing, but the filter is more of an open element system...

I'd be curious to see that on a dyno!
a lot of people do this to other hondas also, it's just as good as a short ram and it looks completely stock so cops cant hassle them.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just the new guy here and this is my first post, but that can't be good. The air exiting your radiator is pretty hot and that's where it goes. You've just turned a relatively good CAI into a hot air intake.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xviper
I'm just the new guy here and this is my first post, but that can't be good. The air exiting your radiator is pretty hot and that's where it goes. You've just turned a relatively good CAI into a hot air intake.
this is how about 90% of short rams are placed at, and good cai? you should take a good look at how good this box was made, the main purpose was to cut noise which they did, which unfortunatley makes it very restrictive

Old 05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
this is how about 90% of short rams are placed at, and good cai? you should take a good look at how good this box was made, the main purpose was to cut noise which they did, which unfortunatley makes it very restrictive
Short ram intakes are generally hot air intakes, but they do work quite well as "performance" intakes. Now, the big quesion is ................. Is it better to make your intake more of a performance intake by the hole you made or does it do more harm by sucking in hot air. For every 3 degrees increase in intake air temp, you lose about 1 hp to the wheels. Air from where the stock Fit draws from should be about at road temp (a few degrees higher than ambient) but air coming out the back of a radiator once up to operating temps on a hot day can be as hot as 60 to 70 degrees. From an ambient of say, 25 degrees C, that's an increase of about 40 degrees. This would put your engine at a disadvantage of about 13 whp. Does your hole contribute that 13 hp back? No doubt you may achieve better throttle response with that hole, but that doesn't mean much if you're losing hp.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 PM
For every 3 degrees increase in intake air temp, you lose about 1 hp to the wheels.
You sure about that?

Regarding the hack job, I've thought about hacking mine apart, but have so far refrained for resale purposes. I did break off that silencer bubble and capped it, which didn't do much...in general I don't think the stock intake is really that restrictive, but anywhere they gave up flow to reduce noise, I'd rather gain flow and live with the sound.

If you really wanted to, you could fashion some form of ducting to cold air from that big opening you just made. Then you may get the best of both worlds.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
What is the source of the noise that it is muffling -- just the hiss of the intakes?

Resale value... if the cops can't see it, I guess the buyers can't either.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sonorliteman
You sure about that?
Am I sure that hotter air will adversely affect engine performance? This is pretty common knowledge. Why do you think superchargers and turbo work so much better with intercoolers and aftercoolers. Hot air is less dense. Less dense air has less usable oxygen. As the intake air temp rises, the IAT sensor on your engine will send a signal to your ECU. The ECU will then back off the timing. Guess what happens when the timing is backed off?
Look, I think it was a mistake for me to open my big mouth here. I'm not going to give you a physics lesson on how hot air affects engine performance. I've only got 6 years as the "How To" guy on S2Ki.com and now I've got my own mechanical advice forum on S2KCA.com. I guess I know nothing. I thought I'd come here to learn a few things about the Fit and when I saw this blatantly weird mod, I just had to say something. I apologize for telling you something you don't want to hear. I'll go back to just lurking. I don't need to prove myself all over again for you people. You have fun chopping up your cars because it "feels" good. Who am I to tell you otherwise. Carry on.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
bahahahaha short rams give more hp. so I think your theory is wrong. sorry bud.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
bahahahaha short rams give more hp. so I think your theory is wrong. sorry bud.
It's not a theory. You believe what you want to believe. I'm done here.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Am I sure that hotter air will adversely affect engine performance? This is pretty common knowledge. Why do you think superchargers and turbo work so much better with intercoolers and aftercoolers. Hot air is less dense. Less dense air has less usable oxygen. As the intake air temp rises, the IAT sensor on your engine will send a signal to your ECU. The ECU will then back off the timing. Guess what happens when the timing is backed off?
Look, I think it was a mistake for me to open my big mouth here. I'm not going to give you a physics lesson on how hot air affects engine performance. I've only got 6 years as the "How To" guy on S2Ki.com and now I've got my own mechanical advice forum on S2KCA.com. I guess I know nothing. I thought I'd come here to learn a few things about the Fit and when I saw this blatantly weird mod, I just had to say something. I apologize for telling you something you don't want to hear. I'll go back to just lurking. I don't need to prove myself all over again for you people. You have fun chopping up your cars because it "feels" good. Who am I to tell you otherwise. Carry on.
wow, you really jumped to conclusions there, didn't ya? one person says "you sure about that?" and you dropped the ball. take it easier, we don't all have powerful cars, we're a little more laid back.

Quick Reply: stock air box mod!!!