Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   K20 Fit How To Discussion (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/13626-k20-fit-how-discussion.html)

quangalang 06-24-2007 08:23 PM

so what you're saying is that you'll be using 2 ecu the fit ecu to run the everything and the rsx ecu to run the engine? ooohh that's going to be so messy. you'd better know your wiring schematics for both cars. but this way you can create a jumper harness for us.

gettinafit 06-25-2007 09:26 AM

Yes using two computers! And yes both Helms electrical troubleshooting OEM books are necessary!

gettinafit 06-27-2007 10:41 PM

THE Clutch Finally Arrived!!!

So the clutch is Finally HERE!! SO today after work I decided to put in my clutch and lightweight fywheel! I also got the two slim-line pusher type fans, but didn't get the cahnce to install them yet, probably wait until the end.

Here's today's update!

CLUTCH!!! Finally!!

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6792/p6270112wk5.jpg

New Slim fans! I have two because plan on running A/C!

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5778/p6270113bl9.jpg

Out with the old heavy flywheel, in with the new lightweight flywheel!!

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/339/p6270114gh9.jpg

Engine block flywheel-less

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1182/p6270115sc8.jpg

On goes the flywheel:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6590/p6270116jm0.jpg

On goes the clutch!
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6338/p6270117hn8.jpg

On goes the Transmission back onto the engine!!
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2871/p6270118zc5.jpg

THat's all for today, STAY TUNED for more!

SPON FIT 06-28-2007 01:42 AM

sweetness.keep up the good work

gettinafit 06-28-2007 09:33 AM

Yeah this past weekend was a WASH when it comes to working on the FIT, The damn clutch was being hand made by the guys at Unorthodox Racing.... They ran out of rivets and had to order them and it was finally done monday!

Anywayz, this weekend I will put it back in and check the A/C lines and get them made, possibly put on custom length belt, and Fans. Maybe manifolds, we'll see if it is going to get in my way later.

rei 06-30-2007 02:13 PM

So much work.. geez.. in the end I suppose it will all be worth it..

jman245 06-30-2007 07:03 PM

how much $ are you in so far?

gettinafit 07-05-2007 09:40 AM

**update**

Wiring is comming along. Sorry no pictures if you saw the mind working and the mess, you would not to take any second of brain power off of the harness and divert your attention to taking a picture! That plus it is hard to describe in a picture anyway.

Just know that the wiring is comming along, two harnesses are being mated together using Both helms troubleshooting books, one fo the Fit's and one of the RSX. lots of extra wiring and soldering and heat shrinking going on! Maybe this weekend I might touch the engine again and mount it. We'll see!

quangalang 07-06-2007 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by gettinafit (Post 154574)
**update**

Wiring is comming along. Sorry no pictures if you saw the mind working and the mess, you would not to take any second of brain power off of the harness and divert your attention to taking a picture! That plus it is hard to describe in a picture anyway.

Just know that the wiring is comming along, two harnesses are being mated together using Both helms troubleshooting books, one fo the Fit's and one of the RSX. lots of extra wiring and soldering and heat shrinking going on! Maybe this weekend I might touch the engine again and mount it. We'll see!

NOOOOO!! no documentation!?! I'm about to drive to Canada and kick your car!! anyways are you going to have some sensors sending signals to 2 ecus? if you do, are you worried about split signals?... ie. temp sensor, one ecu gets half of the voltage and the other getting the other half, so neither ecu's will have the correct voltage. am i making a valid point here or am i just bringing something up that is nonexistent? anyways good job!

jtallen123 07-06-2007 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by quangalang (Post 154852)
NOOOOO!! no documentation!?! I'm about to drive to Canada and kick your car!! anyways are you going to have some sensors sending signals to 2 ecus? if you do, are you worried about split signals?... ie. temp sensor, one ecu gets half of the voltage and the other getting the other half, so neither ecu's will have the correct voltage. am i making a valid point here or am i just bringing something up that is nonexistent? anyways good job!

Unless you got a resistor somewhere in the circuit a straight wire splice is not a problem. You only have to worry about current draw and the current output of the sensor, but usually you don't have to worry about that. You more have to worry about the type of output the sensor has a (varying voltage, digital, analog etc). But short answer is no, voltage doesn't just "split".

While I'm not an expert mechanic I am an electrical engineer who designs electrical systems for offroad machinary for a living, skid steers at the moment. (think those small bobcats)

Wave 07-06-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by claymore (Post 154875)
Be a wasted trip to canada .......he lives in NYC

which would result in a wasted trip to NYC......he lives on Long Island!;)

gettinafit 07-06-2007 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wave (Post 154878)

I like all of the speculation on my location but as FitFreak says on my location people should have at least guessed "New York!!" Certainly not Canada!

Originally Posted by quangalang (Post 154852)

A computer hacker geek tunner friend of mine is ripping apart the ECU and soldering new connections and de-soldering connections, basically turning stuff on and turning stuff off that is not necessary for the Fit computer. RSX computer will be untouched.

As for more fine documentation on the wiring, the connectors are similar in "pin outs" justa couple need to be switched for the RSX Ecu, and you will need to run two sets of clips. There is a Connector labled "c101" in the chasis that sends stuff to the dash and the multiplex circuits, that has to be patched in from the RSX computer to the Fit computer then let the Fit computer talk on the "Can" bus. If I took pictures it will not help you, just get th two manuals, pictures look like wires and more wires and more wires.....hehehe

SPON FIT 07-06-2007 08:44 PM

sounds really complicated.you'll just have to do mine

quangalang 07-06-2007 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by gettinafit (Post 154885)
I like all of the speculation on my location but as FitFreak says on my location people should have at least guessed "New York!!" Certainly not Canada!

Originally Posted by claymore (Post 154875)
Be a wasted trip to canada .......he lives in NYC

Originally Posted by Wave (Post 154878)

oh snap! i wish i had 3 hands so i can give myself 3 thumbs down. why did i even say Canada?...

quangalang 07-06-2007 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by jtallen123 (Post 154870)
Unless you got a resistor somewhere in the circuit a straight wire splice is not a problem. You only have to worry about current draw and the current output of the sensor, but usually you don't have to worry about that. You more have to worry about the type of output the sensor has a (varying voltage, digital, analog etc). But short answer is no, voltage doesn't just "split".

While I'm not an expert mechanic I am an electrical engineer who designs electrical systems for offroad machinary for a living, skid steers at the moment. (think those small bobcats)

alrighty then i was just wondering because people have had problems like this running piggyback ecu's.

03DSM-RSX 07-07-2007 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jtallen123 (Post 154870)

actually, it in fact DOES split. i have found that the MAP, ECT, and IAT sensors are affected by splicing the wire and splitting it to 2 ecus. I am currently finding ways to get a clean, fresh signal straight from the sensor instead of splicing it. I will certainly let you know when i find out.

I am running a dual ecu setup and currently working on a new R&D project for Hondata. I assume you already have Hondata Kpro on the RSX ecu? Once you have the electrical things able to turn on, you can check the KManager software and see what sensors are needed.

so at this point, your FIt ecu is controlling: multiplex, a/c...and what else?
RSX Kpro ecu should be controlling everything else, including OBD2. Although you can leave the "K-Line" from the Fit ecu tapped with the RSX's K-line to be able to diagnose both ecus. but when u go in for inspection sometime in the future, cut the K-Line from the Fit ecu. (K-line is the OBD2 comm line)

jtallen123 07-07-2007 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX (Post 155195)
actually, it in fact DOES split. i have found that the MAP, ECT, and IAT sensors are affected by splicing the wire and splitting it to 2 ecus. I am currently finding ways to get a clean, fresh signal straight from the sensor instead of splicing it. I will certainly let you know when i find out.

I am running a dual ecu setup and currently working on a new R&D project for Hondata. I assume you already have Hondata Kpro on the RSX ecu? Once you have the electrical things able to turn on, you can check the KManager software and see what sensors are needed.

so at this point, your FIt ecu is controlling: multiplex, a/c...and what else?
RSX Kpro ecu should be controlling everything else, including OBD2. Although you can leave the "K-Line" from the Fit ecu tapped with the RSX's K-line to be able to diagnose both ecus. but when u go in for inspection sometime in the future, cut the K-Line from the Fit ecu. (K-line is the OBD2 comm line)

I don't doubt there will be issues getting to work, I only meant a voltage "split" is a bad way to describe the problem. Sometimes things are only designed to communicate to one device and yeah it can make things interesting. I've got no direct car experience so I'm not gona hazzard a guess as to why without seeing any sensor specs and signal details. I definately wish you the best of luck though and let us know when you figure it out. :)

03DSM-RSX 07-07-2007 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jtallen123 (Post 155246)
I don't doubt there will be issues getting to work, I only meant a voltage "split" is a bad way to describe the problem. Sometimes things are only designed to communicate to one device and yeah it can make things interesting. I've got no direct car experience so I'm not gona hazzard a guess as to why without seeing any sensor specs and signal details. I definately wish you the best of luck though and let us know when you figure it out. :)

i can provide pics of me testing it and showing you the before/after "splitting" the signal and its signal values. I can get them up monday when i start testing various methods. (if it doesnt rain) And yes, there ARE resistors that stem directly to the IAT/ECT sensors.

For safest measure, you dont need to give the Fit ecu the ECT reading. If the signals are not accurate, your ECT will be reading a lot lower than it is actually, and the engine will constantly be working itself to get to warmed up temp of ~180. Resulting an overheating condition that you wont know about. (this is wat i DONT want to see happen) You can simulate ECT/IAT values with the use of different resistor values for the Fit ecu to make it think its "ready".

Again, this information was stated in my reports from the last project i worked on and is confirmed by Hondata. Although Hondata is experimenting by removing those certain resistors and/or changing resistor values on the ECU itself to amplify the signal enough to provide accurate readings between 2 ecus.

03DSM-RSX 07-07-2007 11:07 PM

ECT and IAT sensor voltage values: 0.5-0.8V
MAP: 0.7-1.3V

-Acura service manual, pgs. 11-13 to 11-14.

quangalang 07-08-2007 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 03DSM-RSX (Post 155262)
i can provide pics of me testing it and showing you the before/after "splitting" the signal and its signal values. I can get them up monday when i start testing various methods. (if it doesnt rain) And yes, there ARE resistors that stem directly to the IAT/ECT sensors.

For safest measure, you dont need to give the Fit ecu the ECT reading. If the signals are not accurate, your ECT will be reading a lot lower than it is actually, and the engine will constantly be working itself to get to warmed up temp of ~180. Resulting an overheating condition that you wont know about. (this is wat i DONT want to see happen) You can simulate ECT/IAT values with the use of different resistor values for the Fit ecu to make it think its "ready".

Again, this information was stated in my reports from the last project i worked on and is confirmed by Hondata. Although Hondata is experimenting by removing those certain resistors and/or changing resistor values on the ECU itself to amplify the signal enough to provide accurate readings between 2 ecus.

yeah i guess im not such an idiot after all :p