Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

K&N Filter kit for a Jazz

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Talking K&N Filter kit for a Jazz

Hello,

I just want to share my feedback the filter upgrade I did on my 1.3 i-DSI Jazz.

Pros:
1) Increased throttle response. This is expected since the air intake is less restrictive.

2) Increased power on Low, Mid and High RPM range.

3) Lower gas consumption. If I don't go over 3,000 RPM.

Cons:
1) Since the response is great, I get tempted to go faster than usual so sometimes I consume too much gasoline . Not to mention that I also go over the speedlimit . Other than that, I don't see a downside to it yet.

Actual picture of my filter:

More info on the filter:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-0602

Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Something to keep in mind, without the airbox I would be worried about that open intake sucking in hot engine compartment air. Does K&N provide any dyno graphs of this filter with your particular model of the Honda Jazz?

Also sometimes we may think an intake mod gives us more power but its just a placebo effect since the intake now is louder than the stock airbox.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FaceYogurt
Something to keep in mind, without the airbox I would be worried about that open intake sucking in hot engine compartment air. Does K&N provide any dyno graphs of this filter with your particular model of the Honda Jazz?

Also sometimes we may think an intake mod gives us more power but its just a placebo effect since the intake now is louder than the stock airbox.

Hi,

Regarding the open intake sucking in hot engine compartment air, that was my first concern when I researched about this kit. I found that the kit had a cold air feed that you place underneth the undertray. This provides the cold air for the filter. Pics below:

Another thing, the existing stock cold air intake from the bumper (where the old air box feed pipe was) will provide additional cold air.

Now about the placebo effect of the new filter, I don't have the time nor money yet to have it dynoed and K&N does not have data posted on their website so I don't have written proof of the power gain. However, having driving the car for some time with the stock filter, I could feel the increase of response especially on cold weather. I was actually doubtful at first about the power gain since my original purpose was to have a low maintenace air filter(meaning I don't have to clean it all the time or change them) but I eventually realized that there was an significant increase on power. Sound is also not an issue because I can't hear the filter too much. I have an JASMA HKS Power muffler installed prior to installing the filter.

I'll post some results when I have them.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:43 PM
milkylog
Thumbs up

Hi Ken,

Nice writeup. K&N usually makes very good products and I've seen their products provide proven power gains in other applications. That snorkel to provide another source of cold air is a good idea.

Good choice also on the HKS exhaust! Ive heard the HKS on other cars and the sound is usually very smooth and yet aggressive at the same time.

In Manila are there a lot of aftermarket options for the Jazz?

ML

Old 06-28-2005, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by milkylog
Hi Ken,

Nice writeup. K&N usually makes very good products and I've seen their products provide proven power gains in other applications. That snorkel to provide another source of cold air is a good idea.

Good choice also on the HKS exhaust! Ive heard the HKS on other cars and the sound is usually very smooth and yet aggressive at the same time.

In Manila are there a lot of aftermarket options for the Jazz?

ML

Hi ML,

Thanks.

Yeah, the sound of the HKS exhaust is smooth yet aggressive. I love it. Also, I think there is a slight power gain in the high RPM. Was afraid that I'd lose some in the low and Mid but I didn't.

About the aftermarket options here in Manila, the Jazz is relatively new here so it's hard to get what you want. The car is slowly getting popular here though so some suppliers are getting more aftermarket parts if not making their own.

Any pics of your Fit/Jazz?

Last edited by ken1279; 06-29-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
MYx
Hey Ken! Isn't this a cool site! It's in English!

ML,
Here in Manila, the aftermarket is slowly but surely bringing in dress up and performance parts for the Jazz and City. Right now there are shops selling Spoon antennas, JDM 05 spec LED tail lights and 05 spec headlights, Spoon and Mugen strutbars and HKS, H&R, Tanabe and Sheepdog lowering springs, carbonfiber hoods and rear wings and there are fiberglass bodykits available too.

Our group, GeeDee United, is trying to establish a Jazz and City owners club of sorts and Ken happens to be one of our members. Obviously, he's been bitten really hard by the Jazz bug

Old 06-28-2005, 09:34 PM
small world! once again this website's resources is at your guys desposal.

If your local vendors need web presence to help introduce their products for the FIT/Jazz, let them know about FitFreak.Net!

We can setup areas just for our Philippine members to interact with their local vendors for product introduction, reviews, and classified sales!

Old 06-29-2005, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FaceYogurt
small world! once again this website's resources is at your guys desposal.

If your local vendors need web presence to help introduce their products for the FIT/Jazz, let them know about FitFreak.Net!

We can setup areas just for our Philippine members to interact with their local vendors for product introduction, reviews, and classified sales!

Wow! Thanks for the offer. We'll let them know about it. It would also be nice if the members here can trade/sell some parts for the Jazz/Fit. So far the forum for that is empty.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Ken,

Just wanted to say I like the set up in your Jazz. I wanted to know if you had any problems with the air intake snorkle so low on the body when it rains heavily in Manila. My mom is from Las Pinas by the way, and I've gotten pretty wet visiting during the rainy season.

Have you seen this air box replacement sold in Japan for the 1.5L fit. Its called the Power box and its sold by Last Station.
Its supposed to increase trorque and power over the rev range by optimizing the flow of air into the engine.

I don't know if it works very well but it looks nice!

The pics are from a cool Fit website http://tycoons-den.com/Mobiles-den/ Its in Japanese but there are some cool mods you might like.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dojo
Ken,

Just wanted to say I like the set up in your Jazz. I wanted to know if you had any problems with the air intake snorkle so low on the body when it rains heavily in Manila. My mom is from Las Pinas by the way, and I've gotten pretty wet visiting during the rainy season.

Have you seen this air box replacement sold in Japan for the 1.5L fit. Its called the Power box and its sold by Last Station.
Its supposed to increase trorque and power over the rev range by optimizing the flow of air into the engine.

I don't know if it works very well but it looks nice!

The pics are from a cool Fit website http://tycoons-den.com/Mobiles-den/ Its in Japanese but there are some cool mods you might like.

Hi Dojo,

This is nice! I heard that the Apex dry filter is the best you can get in terms of filtration and HP gain.

Regarding your question, no, I have not encountered any problems with the air intake snorkle. Water does go up the tube (small amounts) but I checked with K&N and they said that it will not pose any danger to the filter nor the engine. My actual concern with the placement of the air intake was hitting it on obstacles on the road since I am using H&R sport springs (lowered 30cm). I asked the shop that installed the kit to place it parallel to the front wheels (as near to parallel is more accurate) so that it will lessen the chance of hitting anything.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 PM
MYx
When I was in HK last May, one of the shops showed me an aluminum airfilter box for the GD1 by ARC (HK$3300) It looks identical to those used in tricked up Civics and Integras where the top part of the box is open, exposing the filter element.

There was also a real deal carbon fiber filter airbox being sold there (HK$4300) I just wasn't able to get pictures.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 AM
sir...original k&n assembly b ito for the jazz?...what about the blue wires?...how much was the filter?...tnx...
Originally Posted by ken1279
Hello,

I just want to share my feedback the filter upgrade I did on my 1.3 i-DSI Jazz.

Pros:
1) Increased throttle response. This is expected since the air intake is less restrictive.

2) Increased power on Low, Mid and High RPM range.

3) Lower gas consumption. If I don't go over 3,000 RPM.

Cons:
1) Since the response is great, I get tempted to go faster than usual so sometimes I consume too much gasoline . Not to mention that I also go over the speedlimit . Other than that, I don't see a downside to it yet.

Actual picture of my filter:

More info on the filter:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=57-0602

Old 07-15-2005, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, this filter kit is specifically for the Jazz. Price is Php10,600 in FusionR(distributor of K&N in the Philippines). The blue wires? This is the grounding kit I had installed.

Old 07-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Adding an aftermarket intake system is probably the most common upgrade today. However - in most cases it will increase the fuel consumption. The reason is simple. The Jazz ECU uses the output of the primary O2 sensor to calculate injector Duty Cycle. This is done in whats called a Closed Loop operation - a part of the OBD1 and OBD2 systems.

In Closed Loop Mode - the ECU will use the output of the O2 sensor to correct the fuel injectors output to match an Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) of 14.7 units of air, to 1 unit of fuel. An AFR @ 14.7:1 is called Stoich. This is the point where the blend of fuel and oxygen is optimalized to perform its best without causing too much exhaust - and without sacrificing performance. The lower the AFR value, the more fuel is consumed.

When you add a new performace Intake System the engine gets more air. ECU will get a feedback from the primary O2 sensor saying that "Hey, I got more Air today, toss in some fuel there!" and ECU increases the Duty Cycle of the injector - thus adding fuel.

Closed Loop operations are usually located between 1500 and 4000 RPMs. On the higher revs the ECU uses static maps programmed into the ECU to calculate injector Duty Cycle. This is called Open Loop. Regardless of amount of air entering the engine, the ECU will tell the injectors to spray the same amount of fuel. This causes another problem with the aftermarket intake.

The stock ECU has its fuel and ignition maps made based on the stock intake, and the supplied air the stock intake can take - of course with a certain degree of variation based on climate, temerature, etc. When you add a new intake to the car, which gives the engine more air - you can end up running lean on the higher RPMs. Ultimately - this can cause the engine to overheat and in rare cases die on you due to overheating (high AFR causes more heat). A more common problem is engine knock and reduced performance from the engine.

An aftermarket intake system can yield great results performance wise - but like all other engine parts - it needs to be tuned to perform its best

Old 07-27-2005, 10:30 AM
I believe running slightly lean will yeld more power but run too lean, and you will damage the motor.

It is very strange that Honda choose to run fixed maps in Open Loop mode. Seems like the ECU in high RPM ranges can still take inputs from the O2 and MAF sensors to adjust fuel delivery and maintain proper Air Fuel Ratio?

Old 07-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I believe running slightly lean will yeld more power
Not really. A rich blend will give a more powerfull explotion in the combustionchamber - but a stoich blend will give the most efficient one. There are many factors to consider. Timing, Compression and Fuel being amonst the most important ones. If you look at boosted engines, you'll see that Target AFR is much lower (richer) then say a stock engine. No simple way to go about this - but in general terms, a stock Honda Jazz engine does it best at stoich in Closed Loop.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:14 PM
dang, to think about it....

the pipe on jazz's intake is so damn short............LOL...

that should give u guys a good gain, right?

Old 07-31-2005, 10:30 PM
K&N

Greetings, I want to start with a K&N filter, the pipe could be in stainless steel? What is the right diameter of air entrance? ,sorry but i am a rookie in tuning.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 AM
that should give u guys a good gain, right?
In short terms, Wrong.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:53 AM
^^^
oh well...

don't tell me (again) that honda tunes their engine so nicely (again) that....any bolt-on won't give you any good gain anymore....like it was with older generation....

same thing happened to current gen civic (D17) eh....

is that what happened to the fit also?

Quick Reply: K&N Filter kit for a Jazz