Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   ***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)*** (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/24533-official-ssr-intake-diy-thread-sid-short-ram-intake.html)

Fitanista 06-12-2008 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Built from my old AEM CAI that used to be on my 2001 civic ex. Used a dryflow filter and painted it black. Its a little loud for me, but the hp and mpg is worth it. Thanks SID for the idea!

Attachment 80906
Attachment 80907

swaknets 06-12-2008 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fitanista (Post 338138)
Built from my old AEM CAI that used to be on my 2001 civic ex. Used a dryflow filter and painted it black. Its a little loud for me, but the hp and mpg is worth it. Thanks SID for the idea!

lookin good :cool:

swaknets 06-13-2008 12:08 AM

Not trying to crap on your thread Sid, I just want to share an idea for an intake.

I was browsin through ebay, I stumble upon a short ram for a cavalier 2.4 and looks like it would fit with slight modification on our Fits. Check it out, its about $22 shipped>eBay Motors: BL 95-02 Chevy Cavalier/Grand Am/Sunfire 2.4 Air Intake (item 120271306284 end time Jun-14-08 18:29:10 PDT)

what you guys think?:D

ezduzit 06-13-2008 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by doubler2k (Post 335325)
Ok quick question now that we have these intakes in, how do we clean the engine? Before I used to just take it down to the car wash put some degreaser and rinse, but I know we shouldn't get this filter wet, should I wrap a towel or put plastic over it? Any suggestions?

If the engine isn't too hot, you can cover the filter with a plastic baggie secured with a rubber band or something like that. You really shouldn't hose down a hot engine, but if you have to for some reason, covering the filter with a towel will work OK if you don't saturate it with water. The filter getting a little wet really isn't going to cause any problem anyway. Some folks remove carbon from their top end by purposely feeding some water down the intake.

If you really want to keep it dry, just remove it (only takes about 10 seconds). You could cover the intake tube if you want, but they usually point down to some degree so water isn't going to defeat gravity unless you stick the hose end into the tube:).

ez

doubler2k 06-17-2008 03:25 PM

Ok I am not sure what happened, but from yesterday to today I have noticed a big difference on the sound of the engine. The response seems to be the same but its a hell of alot quieter, Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Fitcapo 06-17-2008 06:49 PM

Is everything nice and tight and bolted down. Maybe the filter came loose or something else came loose. I am not sure. Maybe your filter got really dirty really fast.

gloryhound 06-17-2008 09:08 PM

im wondering if anyone has contemplated or tried to put a 90 bend pipe right onto the stock manifold with a k&n on the end of that 90 degree piece?

it would be a pseudo chambered intake with the wide open k&n

doubler2k 06-18-2008 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fitcapo (Post 341481)
Is everything nice and tight and bolted down. Maybe the filter came loose or something else came loose. I am not sure. Maybe your filter got really dirty really fast.

Well when I got home, I tightened everything down as a few bolts were loose but the result was still the same, like I said the engine seems to be running fine, but I did notice the suction is way less when I rev than before. Maybe I should just take it off and inspect everything for cracks (since the pipes are plastic)

Fitcapo 06-18-2008 11:08 AM

That is not a bad idea you could have cracked one of those plastic pipes somehow. It could have came with a defect or something.

Another thing is you could possibly just be getting used to the noise. When I first put the intake in my car I thought it was too loud and now I honestly don't hear it unless I turn the car on and don't let it warm up then just stomp on it I hear that pop from it sucking in air really fast.

doubler2k 06-18-2008 02:33 PM

Yea everything seems good, I noticed though after I tightened everything down the engine doesnt shake as much on idle, that was an annoying little problem I was having after removing the stock air box, it also seems the throttle is a bit tighter, so maybe it's for the best. I can still hear the engine WOT so thats all that really matters right?

spearsoft 06-29-2008 09:10 PM

I can't get the IAT sensor in at a perfect 90 degree angle with the elbow, will that cause me problems?

Fitcapo 06-29-2008 09:19 PM

Well give it a week and see if your car throws a CEL if not then you should be good. As long as the IAT is snug in there you should be good.

spearsoft 06-29-2008 09:35 PM

Ok, thanks for the reply. It's a little tight in there the way it is, I think I'll be doing the 90 + 45 degree setup, because that battery is in the way, even though I pushed it all the way back. My only concern with the IAT now is how little slack there is for the cable, but I guess the OEM setup wasn't much better.

If all else fails, I'll back to OEM until I can figure out how to do it right.

Fitcapo 06-29-2008 09:39 PM

I think to fix worse case scenario you would be able to get another pipe and drill the hole closer to the one side that would get you closer to where the cable is coming from and have more slack.

doubler2k 06-29-2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by spearsoft (Post 352239)
I can't get the IAT sensor in at a perfect 90 degree angle with the elbow, will that cause me problems?

I had the same problem that the IAT was going in at an angle as well, and the one thing i did notice is that the engine seemed less responsive, perhaps cause it wasnt sitting straight it was leaking air so there wasnt much suction. Once I moved some things around and got it as close as possible this solved the problem, so keep an eye out for that.

spearsoft 06-29-2008 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by doubler2k (Post 352350)
I had the same problem that the IAT was going in at an angle as well, and the one thing i did notice is that the engine seemed less responsive, perhaps cause it wasnt sitting straight it was leaking air so there wasnt much suction. Once I moved some things around and got it as close as possible this solved the problem, so keep an eye out for that.

Thanks for the heads up

spearsoft 06-30-2008 09:15 PM

I don't know why I am having so many problems, but the battery is being a huge problem for me. I presses on the filter in a way that caused it to fall off twice already. : ( poor fit. I just bought a 45 degree bend to move it in front of th battery. Anyone else had this problem?

doubler2k 06-30-2008 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by spearsoft (Post 353362)
I don't know why I am having so many problems, but the battery is being a huge problem for me. I presses on the filter in a way that caused it to fall off twice already. : ( poor fit. I just bought a 45 degree bend to move it in front of th battery. Anyone else had this problem?

Most people have either used a 90 and 45 bend or a 90 and 90 bend (which is what i used) to clear the battery. You will also get a better sound and slightly cooler temps. Now as far as the battery goes; loosen the nut that is holding it down enough to where you can slide the battery all the way to the right, then retighten it should give you enough clearence.

Koi 07-02-2008 01:27 AM

So has anyone found a good way to mount these intakes so they don't vibrate and lower the possibility of it falling off while driving? I can hear the filter rattling a bit when it's under load sometimes. I want to keep it from vibrating against the radiator hose and battery bracket rod (I put a little plastic shield between the hose and the filter to remedy this for now). Tried buying the official intake mounting brackets from Spectre but they didn't work.

Fitcapo 07-02-2008 03:08 AM

If you do the two bends it should be snug enough to not rattle at least mine is.