Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   ***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)*** (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/24533-official-ssr-intake-diy-thread-sid-short-ram-intake.html)

Sid 6.7 09-07-2008 04:30 PM

When tightened down, there isn't anything flopping around at all. It is pretty stiff and sturdy.

There isn't anything that is needed to support the filter. The tubing is thin plastic with a chrome plating. This system doesn't need any kind of support system at all.

Fitcapo 09-07-2008 05:43 PM

Mine vibrates a little bit and at start up it rattles against the bolt holding the battery down but after the car warms up everything is fine don't hear any rattling and have yet to have any thing fall apart or any rubbing issues everything is still in good condition. I check it every other week tho just to make sure everything is still tight because of the rattling at start up.

Padraic 09-07-2008 06:02 PM

Question about the dealership and intakes...

I know that in order to deny a warranty claim, the dealership has to be able to prove causation between a modification and a problem.

That being said, if I went to my dealership (for my free oil changes) with an intake under the hood, would they make note of it, or would the mechanic not even care?:confused:

That is really the only thing that is keeping me from installing my own SSR intake. Thanks for any advice!

Fitcapo 09-07-2008 06:04 PM

It is very easy to take on and off it you are worried about it just pop the stock air box back on before you go it only takes a couple minutes if that.

jvm051 09-07-2008 08:44 PM

Just got mine completed. I spent a bit more time, and trimmed some of the material around the sensor so it fit without stressing the wire. Also used some JB weld and made a mount that connects to the battery hold down. Hope it yields me better MPG's.

DrKelso 09-09-2008 09:40 AM

Got it installed and I must say that the gains on the butt-dyno are impressive. My guess would be +55 whp j/k. Has anyone actually Dyno'd this thing to see what the gains are? The throttle response is definitely better and the tone of the engine is amazing. A little louder than I'd like for my intake but for the price I'll take it!

Now I'm just waiting for Sid to come up with a DIY cat-back using rain gutters, a Heineken mini Draught keg, and a coke can for the tip. :D

Koi 09-09-2008 01:11 PM

If it's louder than you'd like, try using a Fujita filter instead of the autozone one. It tones the noise down a bit and is dry flow instead of being oiled.

Padraic 09-11-2008 09:45 PM

I installed mine today and it definitely made a difference. From a standing start, I went WOT through first into second. The throttle response was better and I loved the noise.

jvm051 09-14-2008 01:11 AM

Mine sounds like a angry bee once you hit over 2500 rpm. Kinda funny. Going to have to wait until the next tank of gas to see if it improved mpg's. Been playin around with the throttle too much. Damm I want a turbo. Or maybe I just miss my Mustang's power.

red08fit 09-16-2008 08:49 PM

I'm actually feeling loss of mpg with this intake by about 2-3 MPG. I drive the same way as I did before the intake, about 50% highway cruise set at 75mph, and 50% city with light foot. The most I ever got was 37MPG the second week after I bought it with no mods, but now I'm only getting around 34-35MPG. I went a whole tank never going over 3K RPM and it didn't even help vs. shifting at 4-5K RPM so I'm kinda baffled over this one! I might put the stock airbox back on and see what kinda numbers I get.

Sid 6.7 09-16-2008 10:45 PM

That's a first right there. I would check all other electrical items like plugs, wires, connectors and such. Maybe a vacuum line came loose or a wire is loose.

jvm051 09-17-2008 11:12 PM

Im thinking this weekend after driving school, I might try and fab up some type of heat shield, and a better mount using the existing factory airbox mount locations. I will post pictures once I figure out what the hell I'm doing.

drewdog 09-18-2008 10:46 AM

Lookin' good to me!

I like the exclusion box, but when I get my Fit, the shortram will be enough for me. Nice DIY! :wavey:

Sam Misled 09-21-2008 02:19 AM

Dyno?

Anyone know what kind of mpg/hp gains this intake has? I dont really wanna spend $200 on an intake so this one looks sweet.

Is this one purely for the sound or does it increase the hp?

jvm051 09-21-2008 08:15 AM

After driving for 2 tanks worth of gas, I did not notice any difference in MPG's. I usually drive to work at about 60mph with cruise control on, and it did not make a difference.

Sid 6.7 09-24-2008 07:32 PM

Does anyone think it would be a good idea if I were to put together, drilled the hole and sold the kit all in one box?

Fitcapo 09-24-2008 08:43 PM

I honestly couldn't find a reason to buy it from you when I can read the diy and go to a local shop and do it by myself.

Just what I would think.

B1str0 09-24-2008 08:51 PM

not everyone is technically or mechanically inclined.. have u seen some of these threads lately ? "should i change my brakes or make the dealer do it" "a good place to wax?" .. i say u should do it sid make a little profit from your creation.

Sam Misled 09-25-2008 01:03 PM

Should i make this or just throw in a k&n air filter if I want to see gain in hp/mpg? any suggestions? I know its not much but if i can get the same effect(minus sound) out of hte filter, I might as well just do that!

Anyone know?

honda_s2k 09-25-2008 01:13 PM

Hullo everyone.

My brother just did this install, the 2 90° pipes so the filter is in front of his battery.

He is experiencing a "raspy" noise and is afraid that something is wrong.

I'm assuming its not anything wrong. I had a AEM V2 on my S2000 for months and it gave it a roar from under the hood :D