Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   ***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)*** (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/24533-official-ssr-intake-diy-thread-sid-short-ram-intake.html)

macbuddy 09-26-2008 03:17 AM

Check the breather vent...

Originally Posted by honda_s2k (Post 438158)
Hullo everyone.

My brother just did this install, the 2 90° pipes so the filter is in front of his battery.

He is experiencing a "raspy" noise and is afraid that something is wrong.

I'm assuming its not anything wrong. I had a AEM V2 on my S2000 for months and it gave it a roar from under the hood :D

Try checking the crankcase breather vent, make sure that it isn't plugged up.
-macbuddy-

honda_s2k 09-26-2008 11:22 AM

Ok, i'll get him to take a look at that.

Thanks. He's a few hours drive away from me. He's in Cleveland, OH.

Texas Coyote 10-03-2008 05:35 PM

I had a AEM cold air intake on my Fit until I damaged the filter end when I ran over an alligator and did $2000 dollars worth of damage to the front end and other plastic parts on the underside of the car. I had to remove the lower tube of the CAI and I bought a filter with a conical shaped rubber mounting base at O'REILLY Auto Parts and mounted it on the throttle body mounted pipe. It is now a short ram intake and has never ran better. Texas is very hot in the summer, but the heat has not made a noticeable negative difference even though the 1/2 of the filter is behind the radiator and in the hot air flow. It also floods here at times in a very short period of time and I don't have to sweat that as much now either. I like seeing people that are creative enough to use their brains instead of a credit card, just to get a decal. The end result is so close and looks so good as well.

pb and h 10-04-2008 05:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally made my intake and it only cost $45 using the parts from O'riely and Advanced Auto, I only made one in hopes of better mpg :) :

Attachment 75309

Attachment 75310

Kyle is raaddd 10-04-2008 05:49 PM

oh my god clean your engine bay!!

all that dust is going to make ME sneeze

Texas Coyote 10-04-2008 06:28 PM

That will work. That is the same type of filter that mine has, the throttle body side is funnel shaped and and works like a velocity stack. Don't believe anyone that says that it will use more fuel, because the engine management system will compensate for the additional air flow and the air to fuel ratio will remain the same. Also the drive by wire throttle body will not open as much at low RPMs which in turn increases intake velocity and increases torque. As for the dust, mine is much dustier than that. If I washed it off every time it got that way I would be a busy man. Country living, I would guess. Dust is a small price to pay when you get to drive on roads that twist and turn and go up and down hills.

Nerv2g 10-11-2008 08:21 PM

Did mine today! Awesome right up +1 rep

Sam Misled 10-24-2008 06:41 PM

Sweet!

Just put mine on. This write up helped a lot. +1 Rep for you!

silverbulletfit 10-25-2008 01:51 PM

what about when it rains? is a bypass valve necessary?

Sam Misled 10-25-2008 07:10 PM

I washed my car right after I put it on and no water was even near the intake.

silverbulletfit 10-27-2008 05:33 PM

im doing this tonight. ill post pictures later on when im finished! :]

silverbulletfit 10-28-2008 01:08 PM

so i finished up my intake. couldnt take pictures last night because i did it in the dark and all i have is a crappy camera phone. these are the best i could get:

im gonna change the 60 to a 90 when autozone gets more in. the filters rubbing up against some shit but for now it works!
thanks sid for a great diy!

http://i36.tinypic.com/33wpi7l.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/24ev03s.jpg

Sam Misled 10-28-2008 02:34 PM

Anyone know if it would be possible to turn this into a CAI? I might try it and see what I come up with.

Also, did anyone have any problems with their filter rubbing what looks like the radiator hose? How did you guys fix it?

Texas Coyote 10-28-2008 07:34 PM

I had a AEM CAI and had to remove the lower pipe and get a new filter after an accidental collision with an alligator. Now it a SRI and it runs much stronger After some hard running while cruising in San Antonio, I had the hood up and noticed that the intake tube didn't even feel warm,even after numerous tire spinning starts and stop and go driving. I am sold on SRIs over CAIs. My young hotrodder brother in laws were both amazed at the difference.

Texas Coyote 10-29-2008 10:09 PM

I loosened the radiator hose clamp and gave it a little twist , doesn't touch it now.

Sid 6.7 10-30-2008 12:13 AM

I am so happy that so many FitFreakers are having such good experiences with this intake.

I sill haven't had the need to clean my filter. It is in very good shape and not covered in dirt at all. So depending on mileage and the are you drive in, the filter should last you a long time before you have to service it.

Luichenwai 10-31-2008 07:17 PM

Will a Fujita Filter work instead of the Sceptre?

Luichenwai 10-31-2008 07:37 PM

I'm looking at the pics of this one and the fujita SHORTY..... How come this one has a little breather... and the fujita doesn't?

polaski 10-31-2008 09:52 PM

Because technically that breather is "off road use only"

Did anyone remove that pesky support bracket off the tranny that the OEM box bolted to? I'm having problems with fitment because of that and that alone.

polaski 11-03-2008 10:19 PM

Well I don't think I have to remove that bracket. By sliding the coupler all the way up the TB I got just enough room to sit the filter on that bracket-- on the aluminum ridge in it-- and it still clears the metal framework above the headlight.

That's the price I pay for reusing the old AEM filter element from the civic. The size adapter kinda extended the pipe!

Still I want to leave it on. Man oh man it has a nice sound to it. Thank you Sid!

pic tomorrow