Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***

Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MEATBABY
Those are the exact reasons I ditched my diy "SSR" intake and went with a K&N Typhoon. Those Spectre couplers are total SHITE, hate their plastic piping with plastic couplers, and their lack of a decent support/mount system. It doesn't help that their filters are huge and heavy too.
I'm not into using plastic parts either but Honda seems to have chosen to use an awful lot of it on their cars.. Most everyone around here likes the Spectre filters and some of the guys have very fast cars.. I have found that the bell shaped base of the Spectre filters have the same effect as a velocity stack and smooths out the flow of air.. I bought an AEM cold air intake for my car in 2006. Not long after it was installed the filter was trashed by a road hazard that did $2000 in damage to my car.. At the time I had no choice other than to buy a large, heavy Spectre filter if I was to drive my car. after 7 years is still on my car replacing the oval shaped K&N filter that was supplied with the Kraftwerks supercharger kit I installed in 2009 and upgraded to the 10 PSI high boost kit in 2010.. The same type of Spectre filter is popular with owners of Kawasaki V-twin owners that are willing to to spend another $200 to $400 for aftermarket tuning devices to adjust their air/fuel ratios to gain an increase in power.. The filter has a drawback though, they are very loud .

Old 09-14-2013, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
I don't find anything wrong with the Spectre filter itself, it seems perfectly decent. It's their crappy plastic piping with those ridiculous plastic couplers that are shitty. Oh and their thin rubbery couplers.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
I understand what makes the car louder... but I didn't buy the k&n to make my car louder... I bought it so my fit can go up a hill w/o struggling. I am wondering what materials is used for the tin box cover.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
"Tin box cover"...???

Old 09-14-2013, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StakerFit07
I understand what makes the car louder... but I didn't buy the k&n to make my car louder... I bought it so my fit can go up a hill w/o struggling. I am wondering what materials is used for the tin box cover.
I was referring to the Spectre filter as being louder than the K&N filters because of the size and bell shaped base...

Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Old 09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Not quite... if you were to put a latch or a holder on that spectre... it would dim the sound down. Cause it doesn't have freedom to rattle.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
Go to the first post... there is a picture where the filter is covered... with a box... I am wondering what materials is used so I can make one too lol

Old 09-14-2013, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
That is a plastic piece that diverts hot air away from the filter... There isn't any rattles.. The only noise under the hood at idle is slight clicking from the fuel injectors, a little bit of whirring sound from the supercharger and air flowing into the air intake pipe the air cleaner is attached to and through the intake runners of Weapon R intake manifold.. At wide open throttle the sound is best described an angry growl that transforms into a scream... Before I got the supercharger kit I had just a L shaped pipe with the large Spectre air cleaner attached to the throttle body.. It worked much better than the AEM cold air intake it replaced.. I suggest getting a filter with a bell shaped base. The increase in flow velocity will give you an increase in torque that is lost to air turbulence when using a filter with a flat base. The Spectre Performance 9132 is what I have. Just under $20.00.. Here is a link. Amazon.com: Spectre air cleaners: Automotive

Old 05-15-2014, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone happen to know from reading (Haven't found any info yet) on whether the 2015 Honda Fit has a Maf or Map sensor? This question is indirectly related to whether this intake will work for it or not.
Looking at images after typing 'Honda Fit 2015', I'm not seeing a Maf sensor.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 05-15-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
^ I see it plugged in right where the intake tube comes out of the air box. So yes, it has one.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member

Old 01-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I actually bought a full aluminum intake from ebay that is exactally like this just one piece in total i paid 20 with shipping. And another 20 for a spectrem air filter

Old 03-24-2015, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Finally ive read the whole thread...took me like a week.

So far, ill go to local shops for tubes looking

3" 90° tube
3" 45-60° tube
3" to 2.5" adapter, clamps and stuff
3" filter pretty much of my choice, hopefully one dry with velocity stack design

THNX SID

I know you deserve some extra help from ppl you inspired when your life goes down and that S#$% comes to you. I dont know how did all end but id really like to think it went all for good.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by h8rsama
Finally ive read the whole thread...took me like a week.

So far, ill go to local shops for tubes looking

3" 90° tube
3" 45-60° tube
3" to 2.5" adapter, clamps and stuff
3" filter pretty much of my choice, hopefully one dry with velocity stack design

THNX SID

I know you deserve some extra help from ppl you inspired when your life goes down and that S#$% comes to you. I dont know how did all end but id really like to think it went all for good.
Good luck with your setup! On the 2015, my car ran slightly slower going from 2" straight 3". Currently I have a 2" to 2.5" to 3" setup which seems almost ideal. Planning on extending the 2.5" section out a little longer and test.

Looking forward to seeing how your 3" section turns out for you.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
After reading all these pages i found o ebay this thing

Anyone tried it?
Its like you put it inside your tube/hose right after the TB clamp and its supposed to get better air flow.

Anyone on this?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
^ That is bullshit. Probably actually decrease airflow. Also Spectre is kinda bullshit. Don't use stuff from the auto parts store to build an intake. The filters are OK I suppose, but their "silicone" couplers and plastic tubing are ridiculously cheap and shitty. You're just going to end up with headaches trying to get it all to stay clamped and not throw your CEL. Not to mention ZERO performance gains. If you want an intake get something prefabricated or custom made from actual METAL tubing.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
^ That is bullshit. Probably actually decrease airflow. Also Spectre is kinda bullshit. Don't use stuff from the auto parts store to build an intake. The filters are OK I suppose, but their "silicone" couplers and plastic tubing are ridiculously cheap and shitty. You're just going to end up with headaches trying to get it all to stay clamped and not throw your CEL. Not to mention ZERO performance gains. If you want an intake get something prefabricated or custom made from actual METAL tubing.
Thats also an option tbh

So far i like the injen setup with both short and cai. But its somewhat expensive.
I was considering the DC one but no serious opinions about it. Also fujita but its kind of hard to find these days.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by h8rsama
Thats also an option tbh

So far i like the injen setup with both short and cai. But its somewhat expensive.
I was considering the DC one but no serious opinions about it. Also fujita but its kind of hard to find these days.
I have the DC CAI, along with several other mods and a flashpro. So far I do like the intake, but I want to try either the Apexi Power intake or a chambered intake and see if it will make a difference with my setup. Along with the CAI, I also have the Weapon R intake manifold, DC headers, Megan cat delete, DC B-pipe, and Tanabe concept G axel back. I also have lightweight Ralco pulleys, Fidenza lightweight flywheel, and an Exedy stage 1 clutch all tuned with a flashpro. I get some quick acceleration with the flywheel/clutch setup, but most of my power comes in the higher RPM ranges. I do 90 miles a day in highway travel going to work, and I usually keep my speed around 78.. but if I floor it, I'm at 100 in no time at all and it wants to keep climbing. So i guess I'm wondering what the Apexi or a chamber will do to my current setup.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cnordt24
I have the DC CAI, along with several other mods and a flashpro. So far I do like the intake, but I want to try either the Apexi Power intake or a chambered intake and see if it will make a difference with my setup. Along with the CAI, I also have the Weapon R intake manifold, DC headers, Megan cat delete, DC B-pipe, and Tanabe concept G axel back. I also have lightweight Ralco pulleys, Fidenza lightweight flywheel, and an Exedy stage 1 clutch all tuned with a flashpro. I get some quick acceleration with the flywheel/clutch setup, but most of my power comes in the higher RPM ranges. I do 90 miles a day in highway travel going to work, and I usually keep my speed around 78.. but if I floor it, I'm at 100 in no time at all and it wants to keep climbing. So i guess I'm wondering what the Apexi or a chamber will do to my current setup.
Such a show off, snow man :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***