Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Painting the intercooler? Any cons? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/31957-painting-intercooler-any-cons.html)

YeeFit 09-27-2008 10:38 AM

Painting the intercooler? Any cons?

I know there's a couple of you on here that have painted your intercoolers... I am thinking of doing the same this weekend but I want to make sure that there are no ill effects in doing so.

I'm just gonna paint mine flat black, but I want to make sure that coating the intercooler with additional paint won't actually take away from the cooling properties of the intercooler...

Can someone chime in?

Raaaaaaaaaay. 09-27-2008 11:11 AM

Itll be fine. Unless youre using the thickest paint possible, Im talkin as thick as truck bed coating..... itll cool the same.
I know if I ever go turbo mine will be black.

kelsodeez 09-27-2008 11:17 AM

yea, i researched ambient heat temps and the correlation between color and heat dispersion. the verdict was, it does make a difference in how much and how long a black engine part holds heat but not enough to worry about it. the raised temp is minimal and i am talking fractions of a degree.

YeeFit 09-27-2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by kelsodeez (Post 440233)
yea, i researched ambient heat temps and the correlation between color and heat dispersion. the verdict was, it does make a difference in how much and how long a black engine part holds heat but not enough to worry about it. the raised temp is minimal and i am talking fractions of a degree.

Great! Thanks for the input guys! I'm gonna go ahead and paint it black for the "sleeper" look :cool:

diedwater 09-27-2008 01:22 PM

I would just anodize it.

kelsodeez 09-27-2008 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by diedwater (Post 440306)
I would just anodize it.

that would cost so much tho. and with the intercooler, expect it to get dinged up with rock chips. painting them is easy and you can repaint them whenever they get too ratty looking. although, an anodized intercooler would be badass.

Raaaaaaaaaay. 09-27-2008 07:13 PM

I use a brush on my Mazda's intercooler, like teeef.

:D

dank24 09-27-2008 08:50 PM

Use radiator paint. It will not take away any of the cooling properties.

kancerr 09-27-2008 09:42 PM

i use paintbrushes and lead based ceiling paint.

Injundon 09-27-2008 09:50 PM

use black BBQ paint.. that ceramic content sure does insulate the intercooler :)..jokes.

I used SEM trim black on mine you don't need to paint a thick layer on, just a light coat and it's done.

kelsodeez 09-27-2008 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Injundon (Post 440759)
use black BBQ paint.. that ceramic content sure does insulate the intercooler :)..jokes.

I used SEM trim black on mine you don't need to paint a thick layer on, just a light coat and it's done.

+1

i used sem trim black for my fins.

FELIXY69 09-28-2008 07:11 AM

as u know already..i painted mine...still works...haha !

08fithappy 09-28-2008 03:07 PM

It will not affect anything i think black would be good kind of gives it a sleeper look to

TurboManGT 09-28-2008 03:31 PM

I like seeing different colored intercoolers over the traditional silver. If I had one it would be black.

diedwater 09-28-2008 11:13 PM

ya know....black is not really a color...

I'm drunk, so take that as a not funny joke...lol

kelsodeez 09-28-2008 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by diedwater (Post 441965)
ya know....black is not really a color...

I'm drunk, so take that as a not funny joke...lol

actually black is a color. its all the colors of the spectrum combined. white is the absence of pigment.
i wanna see a white intercooler :hyper:

doctordoom 09-29-2008 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by kelsodeez (Post 442006)
actually black is a color. its all the colors of the spectrum combined. white is the absence of pigment.

white contains the entire spectrum of colors. black is void of light/color. unless you're talking about color pigments like paint, but you said spectrum. rainbows come from white light being diffracted into its individual colors, for example. actually you said pigment too. so i guess you're half right lol. or i'm just wrong?

Fitcapo 09-29-2008 12:26 AM

You are safe to paint your intercooler just go easy on the paint you obviously don't want to put on so many layers it seals it off.

SFactor2 01-24-2009 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by kelsodeez (Post 442006)

u shouldn't use fancy science words if u don't understand them 100% (or even 50%)
white light is all the colors combined...have u never seen white light get separated to all the colors from prism in a grade 6 science text book?
have u never heard of or ever seen a rainbow?
pigment????
how much "pigment" do u think there is in pure substances like 100% gold (gold is not white) or 100% carbon as in coal (black) or diamond (clear)
both not white and none of them have any "pigment" in them
please please please don't try to answer anything vaguely scientific
it makes dumb people even dumber

looking things up in a dictionary or even googling them = virtually zero effort

sorry to be a little rude but it's 1000x ruder to spread "dumbassness" around - it's way too contagious

SFactor2 01-24-2009 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by doctordoom (Post 442024)
white contains the entire spectrum of colors. black is void of light/color. unless you're talking about color pigments like paint, but you said spectrum. rainbows come from white light being diffracted into its individual colors, for example. actually you said pigment too. so i guess you're half right lol. or i'm just wrong?

he's full dumbass