Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   T1R install help.. Ideas? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/32320-t1r-install-help-ideas.html)

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 12:51 AM

T1R install help.. Ideas?

So my buddy and I just finished the install on my T1R kit, took about 27 hours (nonstop, BTW), and we had an interesting piece of pipe left over. (left over parts are proof you made it better.... right?)

Well, anyway, all the pipes mentioned in the instructions are in, no leaks, and the system is mechanically perfect (seemingly).

Here's where it gets interesting. The wires on the Emanage Ultimate harness had a couple of very incorrect flags, which caused it to not run. After some troubleshooting, it now runs, but so rich it barely chugs along and dies at any throttle. I'm talking black smoke out the exhaust, smells like a gas station at idle, the works. It actually fouled out some brand new iridium plugs in about 4-5 minutes of idling.

Also interesting, is that the computer seems stuck in limp mode, as it won't go into closed loop and it has a rev-limiter at 3k. My scangauge reports a constant MAP reading of 24.... not sure what that means, but apparently it thinks it's at ~1bar of boost constantly (which is interesting, because the stock computer isn't supposed to see ANY boost, ESPECIALLY AT IDLE.... which is probably causing the limp mode situation).

I've double, triple, and quadruple-checked the wiring, the only wire I'm not positive of is the MAP in and out wires for the emanage harness, as the little taped flags said the opposite of the book/instructions (harness side vs. ECU side, the wires are grn/white). I've seriously had each one of those wires off and resoldered at least 3 times each.

Anyone have any ideas? I need to have this car running ASAP, I've already had to borrow my buddy's neon (ew) to drive to work tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the washer bottle that comes with the kit is mostly identical to the stock one, and does NOT fit with the intercooler pipes. We made up a pretty ghetto-fabulous rig using some garden hose and duct tape... it's pretty awesome actually. And, the instructions were pretty terrible. I really like the completeness of this kit (injectors, ecu, etc.) but all of the little details of the install caused it to take 2 experienced mechanics over 27 hours nonstop to finish.

YeeFit 10-06-2008 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 447115)
EDIT: Oh, yeah, the washer bottle that comes with the kit is mostly identical to the stock one, and does NOT fit with the intercooler pipes. We made up a pretty ghetto-fabulous rig using some garden hose and duct tape... it's pretty awesome actually. And, the instructions were pretty terrible. I really like the completeness of this kit (injectors, ecu, etc.) but all of the little details of the install caused it to take 2 experienced mechanics over 27 hours nonstop to finish.

I'm sure you will get it sorted out. Just give Ben a call today and he'll help you out the best he can. It can be hard to trouble shoot since he's not able to actually see what is going on.

My guess is that there is something mixed up with the Emange install... always double check the wires even tho they are labelled before installing. I didn't even look at those labels that they had on the harness, I just cut them off right away and wired it up as per the greddy manual and the install manual that came with the kit.

The instructions are perfect by any means, but I followed them step by step. I'm not a mechanic and neither is my one friend who helped me, but we both have a little experience with installing bolt ons like intakes, exhaust, and springs... It only took us roughly 15 hours to install my kit from start to finish. I'm MECP certified and have 10 yrs of automotive electrical experience so the emanage install part only took me about 15 mins. (and 5hrs of the time was spent making a custom (bracket) mount for the oil cooler upgrade and washer bottle).

27hrs non stop = over tired and over worked = less productive, I did mine over 2 days... had 9 hrs of sleep in between and it all went great! (even tho those 9hrs of sleep was spent dreaming about the install lol)No limp mode, no black smoke.... perhaps you should get another set of experienced eyes to look over the install just to make sure it's all properly hooked up.

Not trying to be a jerk or be mean, but its hard to help when we can't see phyically that everything is hooked up properly.. I do think tho that its best to get it looked over by a local speedshop or mechanic... if I worked 27hrs straight my eyes would be crossed, hands sore, and I wouldn't be able to concentrate at all.. :confused:

goodyonsen 10-06-2008 10:37 AM

I say take a nap, call ben, have a beer, take another nap, then get back to work :)

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 10:47 AM

I realize that it's hard to diagnose, and I know it HAS to be to do with the Emanage. I'll be calling Ben on my lunch break for sure.

I'm just wondering if you've got any tips on this, I found that the included crimp-on connectors were innefective (don't have a 'real' crimping tool, and needle-nose pliers only work so well on those things). My wires were falling out, so I resorted to just hard-soldering all the connections. The solder is stronger, and for sure a stronger connection, but every time I have to change a wire it gets shorter, which is annoying.

I've had some sleep now and I'll be going back to his house tonight to work on it some more after work today.

You know, I think I'd have paid a good 150 or 200$ for a plug-n-play harness. This wiring is a HUGE pain in the a$$.

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by goodyonsen (Post 447303)
I say take a nap, call ben, have a beer, take another nap, then get back to work :)

I really like that idea. Too bad I'm only 20 so I can't go buy the beer :(

YeeFit 10-06-2008 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 447309)
I realize that it's hard to diagnose, and I know it HAS to be to do with the Emanage. I'll be calling Ben on my lunch break for sure.

I'm just wondering if you've got any tips on this, I found that the included crimp-on connectors were innefective (don't have a 'real' crimping tool, and needle-nose pliers only work so well on those things). My wires were falling out, so I resorted to just hard-soldering all the connections. The solder is stronger, and for sure a stronger connection, but every time I have to change a wire it gets shorter, which is annoying.

I've had some sleep now and I'll be going back to his house tonight to work on it some more after work today.

You know, I think I'd have paid a good 150 or 200$ for a plug-n-play harness. This wiring is a HUGE pain in the a$$.

I actually asked Ben about the FROG Engineering harness that is supposed to connect the emanage to the ECU, but I guess even they had troubles with it as it wasn't actually designed properly... after seeing that it was only about 11 wires to install out of that giant GReddy harness I knew it would be easy to do..

I threw out that bag of connectors, I didn't even think twice about it. I soldered all my connections. If you solder onto the wires you should be able to just heat them up again to detach them instead of cutting them each time.. It depends on how to put the wires together before you solder them that determines how easy they will be to de-solder. I'm pretty sure the emanage was only about 11 wires or so.. that's less than doing a head unit install! But I can see how electrical wiring can be an pain in the butt for mechanics as they rarely have the skills to do the electrical side of things... not to say that you don't, but I've had installed remote starters, alarms, etc for a long time.. so automotive wiring is a breeze for me.

Best thing to do is see if you can't take a good pic of the wiring that you did and we can take a look at it to see if something is in the wrong spot.

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 12:50 PM

It's definitely more than 11. Theres two connections for each spark plug, and two for each injector, so thats 16, plus 2 for the MAP, then one for power, 2 grounds, an RPM and TPS, so 23 total.

Update: I tried calling Ben twice already with no answer. I really hope I'll hear from him this afternoon.

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 12:54 PM

If you solder onto the wires you should be able to just heat them up again to detach them instead of cutting them each time..

THIS is why you never do a computer install after 25 hours straight working on your car. :rolleyes:

how do you say....
D'OH.

YeeFit 10-06-2008 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 447391)
It's definitely more than 11. Theres two connections for each spark plug, and two for each injector, so thats 16, plus 2 for the MAP, then one for power, 2 grounds, an RPM and TPS, so 23 total.

Update: I tried calling Ben twice already with no answer. I really hope I'll hear from him this afternoon.

LOL.. ya i can't remember.. i just got in there and hooked it all up while my buddy told me the wire colors.. it was a quick job..

AJ-R usually doesn't open til 10am PST. It's now 10:02 PST.

I'd give them about another 30 mins.. they'll be there for sure by then.

YeeFit 10-06-2008 01:04 PM

You did actually cut some wires and tap on to others right?

It's been a while since I did mine, but I do remember that some had to be completely removed from the ECU and some were just spliced on.

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 01:36 PM

Oh yeah, there were some that were just tapped, like power, ground, RPM and TPS signals, but the emanage went in series with the ignition, injection and MAP circuits.

explosivpotato 10-06-2008 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by YeeFit (Post 447405)
LOL.. ya i can't remember.. i just got in there and hooked it all up while my buddy told me the wire colors.. it was a quick job..

AJ-R usually doesn't open til 10am PST. It's now 10:02 PST.

I'd give them about another 30 mins.. they'll be there for sure by then.

I didn't know they didn't open until 10, that explains alot.

If I don't hear from them by the end of work I'll give them a call again.

goodyonsen 10-06-2008 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 447311)
I really like that idea. Too bad I'm only 20 so I can't go buy the beer :(

Haha I'm only 17. Ben should be able to help you. Just don't be in a hurry. I don't really have anything else to say since I've never installed a turbo :p

explosivpotato 10-08-2008 12:35 AM

Alright, I'm taking some advice from you guys (and my girlfriend) and taking a day or 2 off from looking at this god forsaken thing. I spent 6 hours yesterday and another 2 today, and I still can't see the problem with the wiring.

So, just for the sake of gathering information, here's what it's doing now:
All cylinders seem to be firing, but it starts, revs up to about 1500 RPM just like a normal cold start, and then quickly chokes out and dies. All told it runs for about 2.5 seconds start to finish.

It fires up quickly, and sounds great until it chokes and dies.

Any ideas as to what to check? I'm starting to feel like a retard what with my consistent failure at installing this damn Emanage. I've tried about 4 different tunes from Ben, and they all do the same thing except for the original tune that came with the kit. THAT tune idles, but it's got a wicked pulse going from 900 to 1100 RPM. However, that tune DOES get into closed loop, so the computer is no longer in limp mode.

Any ideas? I'll probably be spending a lot of time with it this weekend, so I'd like to have a list of stuff to check.

goodyonsen 10-08-2008 01:37 AM

ya just keep trying different tunes. maybe try to work something out with the original tune since that is the once that sounds like its had the most success

explosivpotato 10-08-2008 09:26 AM

I'd love to think it's just a tune issue, but the fact that NONE of the tunes from AJR work leads me to believe it's still a problem somewhere with my setup. The last tune I tried was actually the tune from Ben's own fit, and that one ran as bad as any.

My next step is to pull the plugs and ignitors and crank the motor (with the fuel pump fuse out, of course. Don't want a flammable shower when you're testing for a spark.) and make sure they're all firing. Anyone think it could be a clogged injector? Maybe I got something in one of them when I installed them?

gimme 10-08-2008 11:08 AM

i would take pictures of what you have/had to do to the e-manage and get them ready to send to Ben.

I work in Tech support and the pictures help...........alot!

gd3kamiwanaB 10-08-2008 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 447115)

Anyone have any ideas?

lol get an HKS kit.....

j/k

explosivpotato 10-09-2008 12:12 AM

I tried to get a picture of the wiring, but I couldn't get anything useful (only had a camera phone), I'll see what I can do later on when I have a real camera.

I do have an update -- I went through the harness again tonight, and I am 99% sure that all of the wires are correct. When it fires, it fires on all 4 cylinders, and sounds great. It just won't do it for very long. After about 3 seconds, it chokes and dies, regardless of if I give it gas or don't touch the gas pedal. It also throws the barometric pressure sensor range / performance code (P2227) just before it dies out.

This thing is driving me insane. Ben suggested that the Emanage itself might be bad, and that we could try exchanging it. I'm reluctant to accept this as the solution, as it seems a little far-fetched, but if I can't think of any other ideas I'll have to try it.

Can anybody think of what would cause the car to fall on its face right after it comes off the startup maps?

YeeFit 10-09-2008 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato (Post 450066)
This thing is driving me insane. Ben suggested that the Emanage itself might be bad, and that we could try exchanging it. I'm reluctant to accept this as the solution, as it seems a little far-fetched, but if I can't think of any other ideas I'll have to try it.

Can anybody think of what would cause the car to fall on its face right after it comes off the startup maps?

It could almost be that the Emanage that you have is just not working properly... Have you tried to monitor what is going on in real time with a laptop and the emanage to see what is going on?