Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   short shifters question and answers (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/3535-short-shifters-question-answers.html)

quangalang 08-11-2007 02:47 AM

well what i meant was you could only raise it up so much and still have it interfering with the hump. if you can make it work then, that would be pretty cool. if not then, oh well. besides having such a short throw isn't all that great for daily driving, more force to change gears, greater chance to mishift, and i heard is a little hard on your synchros

nttdemented 08-11-2007 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by quangalang (Post 165118)
well what i meant was you could only raise it up so much and still have it interfering with the hump. if you can make it work then, that would be pretty cool. if not then, oh well. besides having such a short throw isn't all that great for daily driving, more force to change gears, greater chance to mishift, and i heard is a little hard on your synchros

Yeah it will be a little harder on the syncros buts thats to be expected as it will be as if you were shifting faster and harder, but all the time, you just got to take it even easier on the street with the shifter. I've driven cars with a short shifter and its nothing but NIRVANA! You can take it so easily with the shifting its like you're hand is relaxing instead of rushing to get that gear in, especially when shifting form 1st to 2nd during a traffic jam. :)

alf74 08-26-2007 10:46 AM

http://www.omgoracle.com/overamerica...em_webonly.jpg

http://imgup-lb.automotive.com:8080/...79680.w315.jpg

Installed this morning in about 1 hour on my Jazz 1.3
It works great!
Don't loose your money with other kit....

kptrulee 08-28-2007 11:17 PM

hmm..i might have to pick this up

aznguyen316 08-29-2007 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by kptrulee (Post 169862)
hmm..i might have to pick this up

it's a good, quality kit. Just install it correctly! (loctite)

carlosalicea 08-30-2007 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nttdemented (Post 161391)
Awww gad damit you bastards. Forcing me to want to experiment. I think I might just do that pretty soon, and if it doesnt turn out I'll sell the skunk2 adapters to someone. :P

Try me!!!!:D :D

nttdemented 08-31-2007 03:34 PM

Costo: Una octava de Cristina pa darnos pal de phillies jajajaja

ralpho the normal 12-28-2007 11:27 AM

I see that some of you have Skunk-2's and some Mugen's. Any breakage on anyone's Skunks? Has anyone combind the two? Has anyone installed the German unit? Are there any other manufactures?

kancerr 01-20-2008 07:14 PM

id also like to know if somebody has installed both of these. im looking into getting the mugen ss but would be nice to get the skunk2 ss kit with it too if it works...

nttdemented 01-20-2008 11:55 PM

I'm still tickering with that very idea but I'm gonna do it later in the year, got other economical priorities for the first half of the year with taxes, moving out of my parent's house and other things. But I'm definitely gonna try it later on, so if no one has tried it by then I will for sure.

chaseerry 01-21-2008 12:39 AM

I have had the Skunk2 adapter installed for two months now. No problems, and enjoy it much more than stock.

fitastic82 03-30-2008 07:56 PM

has anyone with the skunk2 ss tried to install it without using the stock rubber bushings, and just the risers or will this not work??? i just thought i'd throw that out there and see if anyone knew anything bout if it'd work out.

claymore 03-31-2008 01:30 AM

Just replace the rubber bushings with a proper size washer stack. But it's going to vibrate... your choice firm mounting with vibration or great shifting without vibration.

With the SS kit the Fit shifter works just fine. The minuscule amount of improvement gained by leaving out the rubber bushings is not worth the extra vibration on a DD unless you are making the most ultimate racing Fit in the world...:)

jdjohnson9 03-31-2008 01:41 AM

Has anyone confirmed that the mugen ss and skunk2 kit can be installed together? Also if its possible is it worth it to install both or just a waste of money?

kancerr 04-02-2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jdjohnson9 (Post 270406)
Has anyone confirmed that the mugen ss and skunk2 kit can be installed together? Also if its possible is it worth it to install both or just a waste of money?

i have also been wondering this...any info would be great.

Illusive 04-02-2008 05:18 PM

I was going to attempt this, but decided against it lol...I'll still do it if someone provides me with a Skunk2 SS kit :p

jdjohnson9 04-02-2008 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Illusive (Post 272781)
I was going to attempt this, but decided against it lol...I'll still do it if someone provides me with a Skunk2 SS kit :p

Hey Illusive how does the mugen ss feel? Do you think it even needs to be tighter with the s2 kit or is it tight enough. What do you think? Maybe the S2 kit and the SS from Ben would feel just as nice:confused:. Maybe thats a better option. Idk though

Illusive 04-02-2008 06:15 PM

I really like the throw on the Mugen SS already. To be honest, I was just kidding around if anyone was seriously going to offer up a Skunk2 unit for me to try. I don't like my shifters too short, I still like having a bit of throw in my shifts. Some people however enjoy the shorter shifts. The only thing I would be weary about by combining the T1R one and the S2 one is that the S2 one will raise the position of the knob and the T1R one will push it forward, so if your arms aren't that long, it'll be uncomfortable. One or the other however would be fine.

jdjohnson9 04-02-2008 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Illusive (Post 272860)
I really like the throw on the Mugen SS already. To be honest, I was just kidding around if anyone was seriously going to offer up a Skunk2 unit for me to try. I don't like my shifters too short, I still like having a bit of throw in my shifts. Some people however enjoy the shorter shifts. The only thing I would be weary about by combining the T1R one and the S2 one is that the S2 one will raise the position of the knob and the T1R one will push it forward, so if your arms aren't that long, it'll be uncomfortable. One or the other however would be fine.

I was just checking cause i know very little about SS kits for the fit and im looking for the best bang for my buck. I dont want to buy the S2 kit if im not gonna like it and the Mugen one is a bit more then i want to spend but is the whole thing. Not sure what to go with yet. Just throwing out ideas. Thanks for the input though. Got any suggestions otherwise for SS on some what of a budget or just say screw it and go Mugen? You can PM if you would like. Thanks again Illusive for your help:D

Illusive 04-02-2008 06:25 PM

I would suggest either T1R or Mugen. The Mugen one is pricey, probably only 50 to 100 more than the T1R when all is said and done, but it'll be well worth it since the whole unit is there. It's an easy install as well, I'm not too sure how labor intensive the T1R one will be, but I imagine it will only be a touch more difficult than the Mugen one. I'm sure the S2 one is a good product, but the only thing I dislike are those set screws for the ball mount on the bottom of the shifter. Reminds me of those universal shift knobs. If you jiggle it too much, they will eventually come loose. But loctite would fix that problem for a good stretch.

Basically, if you got the coin, Mugen IMO. If not, T1R. I highly suggest the T1R if you are unsure mainly because it'll probably be priced between the two kits and provide a nice short throw with only a little extra time on the install. If you can't do that either, S2. That's my personal order.