Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Wiring harness from etrailer for Honda Fit (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/41667-wiring-harness-etrailer-honda-fit.html)

NCFit 04-22-2009 01:24 PM

Wiring harness from etrailer for Honda Fit

Good Afternoon-

I just finished installing the plug and play wiring harness for my 2007 Honda FIt. After installation, I checked the 4 pin harness with a LED tester and it indicated that power was being sent to the 4 pin connector. However, when I plugged it into the trailer, the lights do not work. The lights and wiring for the trailer are brand new, I just replaced them last week. I have checked the trailer many times and all the colored wiring match up and made sure it was grounded.

Is there something that I am forgetting to do or is there something else that needs to be added in order for them to work? I am at my wits end with this and any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Please advise.

Thanks in advance. :popc:

Tork 04-23-2009 06:08 AM

my etrailer harness worked fine on my 07.
so you likely have a problem in your trailer rewire, a defective etrailer harness etc.
You got somewhere else to plug your trailer into to start the process of elimination?

NCFit 04-23-2009 04:20 PM

Finally figured it out. :D

The 4x6 utility trailer has a dump bed. There is a separation between the tongue and the trailer. I grounded to the tongue section instead of the actual trailer where the lights are. Wabam.. lights! :cool:

NCFit 04-23-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tork (Post 637433)
my etrailer harness worked fine on my 07.
so you likely have a problem in your trailer rewire, a defective etrailer harness etc.
You got somewhere else to plug your trailer into to start the process of elimination?

Do you pull snowmobiles with your?

Saw the avatar and was just curious.

5thstreet 07-27-2009 12:13 PM

I don't want to be accused of "thread necromancy" but I don't think this deserved a new thread. Anyway...

I just installed one of these and have run into a little problem. The driver's side rear blinker doesn't work and the driver's side front blinker blinks faster than normal. The passanger side blinkers work just fine, and the brake lights work fine too. Any ideas?

5thstreet 07-28-2009 07:21 AM

Nevermind. I went back and re-checked all the connections. The drivers side rear blinker was loose. Fixed.

prhkgh 08-02-2014 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 5thstreet (Post 708531)
Nevermind. I went back and re-checked all the connections. The drivers side rear blinker was loose. Fixed.

For future reference, the blinkers on many cars are wired so if 1 bulb burns out, the overall reduced resistance causes the working bulb to blink twice as fast. There are other ways to wire a blinker unit so the speed won't change...but then you won't get the telltale that something is not right.

When I first wired trailers to cars in the late 60s, the added resistance of the additional trailer lights would cause super slow blinking. The fix at the time was to buy and install a heavy duty blinker unit. Those used an internal resister with the open close relay, rather than the lights themselves. So it didn't matter how many were working or burnt out, they blinked the same regardless.