Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Ebay headers? Are the cheap ones worth it? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/56929-ebay-headers-cheap-ones-worth.html)

tweezy312 07-01-2010 11:07 AM

Ebay headers? Are the cheap ones worth it?

I'm lookin for some inexpensive headers. I found a few different sets on ebay for 80-90 dollars total for the the headers and shipping and handling. All stainless steel. Hardware and gaskets included. I'm not planning on keeping the car forever. Just want a set that will last a few years. Already have a catback and short ram intake on it. If i get a small improvement out of it, i'm good with that. Don't wanna spend 200+ on em if i'm not gonna keep the car. Any comments?

honda2112 07-01-2010 10:17 PM

If you're not planning on keeping the car then I wouldn't do something radical like this, doesn't make much sense to me, especially for resale, then again I am in my 30's and a father of two. I'm using my better judgement here to help you out, if I were ever to plan a project such as headers then I certainly wouldn't buy anything from Ebay, especially that cheap. I'm guessing that if you buy something from JHPUSA or from an authorized seller for instance, then your purchase is at least backed by the manufacturer. In video production we have a saying; "shit in-shit out'. I guess that's what I'm saying.

alvarospatchez 07-02-2010 07:51 AM

I wouldn't do it either. You get what you pay for.

redrumm 07-02-2010 10:10 AM

If you want a decent header get a Megan one used . Less figment issues and proven gains

GD3_Wagoon 07-02-2010 01:04 PM

i bought an ebay header form junior40er a few years back, $40 was all i spent. it was so cheap it didn't matter what the gains were [if any]. IIRC, it was a megan replica header.. a replica of a low-rate header lol.

fitment was PERFECT, to my surprise. my exhaust note changed to a more throaty/mellow tone (apexi wsII + megan mid-pipe) and there was a slight increase in throttle response 3.5k rpm all the way up to 5.5k but fell on it's face anywhere above that.

to this day there are no signs of rust or exhaust leak. i was even able to jerry-rig the heat shield onto the header to keep the coil packs cool. if you can find one for the same price as i did, i'd say go for it.

Texas Coyote 07-02-2010 02:45 PM

I have Meagan header, down pipe and mid pipe. I will be using an Aero Turbine muffler so from mid pipe back will be a custom fabrication..... As it is now there is strong pull all the way to the limiter.... I almost went with an ebay cat back system but since I was going custom on the axle back and found a good price and free shipping at Hop Up Racing on the Meagan B pipe I didn't... I did get my muffler on ebay, paid no shipping and at the lowest price anywhere.

mxl180 07-02-2010 04:50 PM

I remember buying an ebay header and compared it to the stock header pipes, the ebay ones were smaller.

GD3_Wagoon 07-02-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by mxl180 (Post 878569)
I remember buying an ebay header and compared it to the stock header pipes, the ebay ones were smaller.

pics?.. my ebay header was almost double the diameter of the oem exhaust manifold.

redrumm 07-03-2010 12:22 AM

It's really a hit or miss for rep headers or most rep parts

Texas Coyote 07-03-2010 02:42 AM

I don't know that serious race designed headers will work all of that well on a Fit with a stock ECU and no kind of tuning device that changes timing and air to fuel ratios..... Even with the ability to tune any decent street header would be better suited for street use unless you are a trust fund baby with a good lawyer in the family.

mgrant 07-03-2010 07:48 AM

save up and buy the WR street header

cr4zy3lgato 07-03-2010 05:29 PM

If you buy a good header, there's a lot of chances that you"ll be able to still have a good price for it if you part out before selling your fit...

MNfit 07-03-2010 08:00 PM

when you go cheap you get what you pay for.

jagass 07-03-2010 08:52 PM

It depends on the stuff that you will get. Some are good some are not. You wouldn't know unless you try.

redrumm 07-03-2010 10:33 PM

Yeah but you would be out money

dewthedew 07-03-2010 10:40 PM

The DME header on ebay doesnt look too bad and its only $165 shipped.

DOHCtor 07-07-2010 07:54 PM

I have a DC Sports Header right now! The car is torquier for sure as it only need to downshift in 4th gear now going on a certain incline at 100km\h when it was downshifting in 3rd (or maybe 4th and unlocked T\C?) before!

I paid + or - 300$ cdn for it brand new!

Btw, the car is equipped with a Fujita Short Ram, Denso IK22 plugs, The DC Header, no muffler and Red Line 5w30 Motor oil as well as Racing Type-F ATF also from Red Line! 5000km Later the shifts are crisper but not harsh at all!! I love it!

Marko!!

Texas Coyote 07-07-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DOHCtor (Post 880733)
I have a DC Sports Header right now! The car is torquier for sure as it only need to downshift in 4th gear now going on a certain incline at 100km\h when it was downshifting in 3rd (or maybe 4th and unlocked T\C?) before!

I paid + or - 300$ cdn for it brand new!

Btw, the car is equipped with a Fujita Short Ram, Denso IK22 plugs, The DC Header, no muffler and Red Line 5w30 Motor oil as well as Racing Type-F ATF also from Red Line! 5000km Later the shifts are crisper but not harsh at all!! I love it!

Marko!!

I like the DC street header but my budget had me buying a 2nd hand Megan and it's OK.... I'm glad you have a combination that is working for you.:wavey:

DOHCtor 07-07-2010 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote (Post 880744)
I like the DC street header but my budget had me buying a 2nd hand Megan and it's OK.... I'm glad you have a combination that is working for you.:wavey:

I'm happy too... But the sucker now needs a better upper plenum!!

MArko!!

Texas Coyote 07-07-2010 08:27 PM

If you are thinking of doing what Pumpkin did we are on the same page.