Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Supercharged Honda City Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM
Supercharged Honda City Thailand

Hi all, Hopefully someone out there can help me with this little problem. i have a supercharged Honda city running ATS 1.5 lsd, .5 bar of boost, ATS brakes, TEIN suspension etc etc. Over the past two weeks i have stripped the ends of two drive shafts (spline end entering the lsd)

Last break happened this afternoon so before i get it fixed i want to try and source the root of the problem instead of just fixing drive shafts all the time. Any thoughts from u guys and girls out there would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Christopher

Old 03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
The stock drive shafts can only take so much.. do you boost a lot in your daily driving? And how slammed are you? The pitch of the driveshaft could wear out the splines and boosting can only make matters worse.. sounds like you need to get a custom driveshaft maybe billet would be helpful... how many miles is this happening at? All factors in this

Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi Angryfit :-)

Thanks for the reply. Well i have fitted TEIN super street suspension and i am running 1.5 degrees of camber on the front. The car is my daily driver and the first break happened about two weeks ago and then today again so only a 1500 kms or so between breaks. Custom driveshafts sounds the go but where the crap do i get those made!?

Its funny that the first set lasted 10 000kms and yet the second one broke so quickly. any thoughts? and thanks once again.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Are you using remanufactured driveshafts because that could be it.. And theres a shop called the driveshaft shop in new jersey that makes custom drive shafts... But im sure there are close places to you... 1.5 degrees camber sounds mean I wanna see

Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
just using stock driveshafts but obviously that isnt good enough! i will post some pics for u when i get the thing out of the garage. thanks so far. do u have their web address?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
The only way I can think of where you'd be stripping the ends of the splines is if the shafts were not being fully seated to where they pop into place inside the transaxle or in your case The LSD..... The LSD may require more force in order to lock into place than does a stock transaxle.. Only the very end of the shafts are being damaged leading me to believe the the ends are the only part of the spline that are engaging.... My car is also supercharged and I haven't had any drive train problems...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM
0.5 bar boost? on what size compressor?

You could get less sticky tires.. or stop launching the car?

You could also have your next set of axles done up by the DSS guys in new jersey the angry recommended.

I have a guy near by here in Illinois, one in Bahrain and another GE owner in Indonesia that are making well over 200lb-ft of torque on their stock CV shafts, but only one of them has an LSD.

They are all running between than 0.8-1.5bar on a 27-28lb/min compressor, so unless you have a big supercharger I don't think you are going to be making nearly as much torque as them.

If the Drive Shaft Shop guys are too expensive or can't help you you can send your axles in for REM/ISF or cryo-treating.

Texas Coyote is raising a good point in suggesting the splines may not be fully engaged.

Some hard motor mounts and control arm bushings could help too.

Heres the website for the DSS guys:
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-17-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys. It makes sense that the splines may not be fully engaged as it is only stripping the ends of the splines and only on one side of the car as well. How do u tell that the splines are fully engaged into the lsd?

Its Honda mechanics that have repaired it last time but then again its Thailand and anything is possible :-) Harder engine mounts etc are already in place so not fully engaged splines sounds like the problem.

So the big question is how do u tell that the splines are fully engaged inside the LSD?

Thanks guys so far. big help.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM
it should be flush and slide in pretty easily, for lack of a better word just "click" together

Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I had to pull one of my axles loose to install my supercharger and used 2 motorcycle tire removal tools (tire irons) to work it loose and it popped rt out... I replaced it by lining the splines up, holding the CV joint in place with one hand, extending the axle away from the joint until it was fully extended and then forcibly slammed it into the CV joint and it snapped into place.. I may have had to repeat the procedure more than once but that is the way I did it. on my stock transmission. I looked at my manual and found that there is a set ring that fits in the groove cut into the splines toward the end of the axle that is supposed to be replaced... Mine was in place on the axle but yours may not be.

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 03-17-2011 at 11:20 PM.