Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Installing a Hydrogen Generator (HHO) (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/65331-installing-hydrogen-generator-hho.html)

Goodmunkey 06-02-2011 07:47 PM

Installing a Hydrogen Generator (HHO)

I'm Thinking of installing a Hydrogen generator into my 07 Fit. Any suggestions? should I do it or not? If I do, do I need to bypass any sensors?

suketoborudo00 03-01-2012 05:26 AM

not sure if you ever did this, and if you did I'd like to know how it worked out for you..

im skeptic about this hho stuff.. it sounds good, some sites do a good job of trying to convince it works.. i'm glad i can't afford to drop money on this to test myself haha. but from what i've read so far, if you were to install it on the fit (or any modern car with ECUs), you need to get an add-on device to bypass the ECU..

FIT2008 09-12-2012 09:05 PM

I am working on that, too.

Check that page:

hhoconnection.com

They sale the system, but you can do it your self too.

Good luck

fujisawa 09-13-2012 11:07 AM

please just stop. aside from googling just "hydrogen conversion" or whatever, add "scam" or "problem" to the end of your search term and try it that way too. then see what you think. this is a good practice whether you're buying a medicine or electronics device or really anything where there could exist a downside that the promoters would have an incentive to not tell you.

FIT2008 09-13-2012 04:23 PM

Hi. fujosawa.

I am Sorry. What are you taking about?

That is like a Nitro System. Only that you produce the HHO and control de O2 Sensor to not over used the gas to have the economy.

That is Science

That is not new.

Any way a go to do it my self and send the result.

suketoborudo00 12-15-2012 05:08 AM

So I've been doing hours and hours of researching for any truth in the use of HHO and Hydrogen gas supplementing for greater MPG. After seeing scam after scam sites that look like they were created by a newbie, I stumbled on quite a few articles/research papers and some convincing youtube videos, turns out this stuff theoretically does work for certain cars (old cars to be exact).. also depending on if the correct setup is used and the type of system used..

The older ones which do not have ECU/computers onboard work best. This is because there are no O2 sensors to worry about (since HHO hydroxy gas increases O2 levels in the car exhaust/intake system). For those that don't know, the car needs a certain air/fuel ratio, higher O2 levels in the car's system will make the car inject more fuel to maintain the AFR. THis is why modern cars will ultimately 'adjust' to the HHO system and will result in greater fuel consumption. This is true unless a modification chip is installed to 'correct' the sensor readings or whatever it needs to make the HHO system run optimally with the car. From what I've read so far, I can't say i'm convinced with how well the modification chips work. Seems like a hit or miss to me from 'testimonials/reviews'. And even then, I wouldn't trust those. I think this is a controversial solution that could potentially be a big thing in helping fuel economy. HHO is a highly combustible gas. And it seems this is something people around the world are experimenting with still. Furthermore since it is a highly combustible gas, it is dangerous if the HHO system isn't correctly setup or an old style setup is used. More recent designs have a lot of safety mechanisms that prevent flashbacks from causing the system to explode. These newer systems also do not create HHO gas until the car is started (the term being Hydrogen On Demand system). One question that comes to mind is, how much gas is being produced and how much is really needed. I myself am still trying to find the answer. But is seems 1L/min is adequate for a 1.5L engine to improve MPG greater than 10%. This still brings us back to the argument that modern cars WILL NOT work with HHO systems due to the smarter on board computer system.

THis lead me to a recently developed system that claims it separates the hydrogen and oxygen gasses to directly inject H2 gas into the system. The company that makes this system is HH2 Hydrolectric Power. THe crazy part is their system is CARB legal! Not CARB pending anymore as of November 2012.. LAST MONTH! ALSO they were at the LA autoshow in 2009 and 2010 according to the website and also some actual youtube videos of them there.. ANybody see them?
Anyways what makes this Hydrogen setup unique is the separation of Hydrogen gas from the oxygen in water. Since the car's sensors are monitoring Oxygen only, the hydrogen gas freely enters into the cars system without setting anything off with the car's ECU. Therefore no special modification chip to fool the car computer is necessary according to their website. And if you didn't know already hydrogen gas is very flammable and the whole point of it being used in the car's system is to create a more efficient burn of the fuel. And if this can be done, less fuel will be used netting more MPG.

Now their system isn't cheap.. it is according to their website $1999 for the system + $400 installation by a professional! That's close to cost of BOOST lol but I guess I'm comparing two different routes of interest.. It seems that they will be going into mass production early of 2013, so most of anybody who reads this should just hold onto your money until then to see what results from theses systems.

If you've read this far, it must mean this topic interests you and let it be known this is not a 'run on hydrogen/HHO gas only' system, it's more of a add-on supplement fuel system that claims to improve MPG by 10%+ (they say its more like 20+). THe sites that do claim any higher are definitely scam sites... but if you were to look into this stuff, the only thing I can recommend looking into is this hydrogen only type system.
https://www.hydrolectricpower.com/Home_Page.php
Their websites are so poorly designed, then again they're not webmasters and probably not computer savvy.
There are a lot of supporting articles/research papers on the effects of hydrogen gas on internal combustion engines. If anything I'd do some reading on that. It's pretty interesting stuff.

suketoborudo00 12-15-2012 05:23 AM

Why Water Won't Improve Your MPG: A PM and Dateline NBC Investigation - Popular Mechanics

This article seems to also put things into perspective too..
how much truth are in the research articles, and how much gas is being generated to even make a difference..
dam i'll just wait for independent reviews next year.

50sentra 02-10-2013 11:21 PM

bummp any more info on this?

DrewE 02-11-2013 12:26 AM

Don't bother. If it worked, you can bet that car companies would be all over it, with today's emphasis on milage and CAFE standards and such. (Electrolytic splitting of water is not some new, exotic, highly patented technology; any automaker could very easily develop and use such a system if it had any actual benefit.)

If you want to improve your milage, first make sure your engine is in good shape—the valves are adjusted properly, the plugs are not worn, the filters are clean, etc. Keep your tires well inflated and drive gently at moderate speeds. Sure it's a rather boring and low-tech approach, but it is inexpensive and it works.

Mr. Stock 04-29-2013 04:39 PM

It is a basic principle of chemistry that the electrolysis of a compound like water requires putting in at least as much energy as can be gained from combustion. That's total combustion energy, and hydroxygen burns hot.
It reduces to a study in perpetual motion. The energy to electrolyze the water comes from the alternator and ultimately from combusted fuel. HHO systems convert fuel energy to electrical back to a trickle of fuel energy, with all the usual inefficiencies at every step of the chain. A small one will cost a negligible fraction of the car's power. A larger one would plainly demonstrate that it's a lossy system and not one that produces any gain.

Of course, we evolved plains apes are total suckers for a good placebo.

DaveFL 04-29-2013 06:14 PM

Add a solar collector to generate the electric to do the conversion without fuel, but costs for storing hydrogen generated will not make economic sense, plus you will be a bomb on wheels.

13fit 04-29-2013 08:19 PM

You would be better off spending your cash on LRR tires and better ground wiring underhood.

At least you would see a difference in fuel economy without relying on scams

poorracerkid 05-05-2013 10:46 PM

I have some lovely oceanfront property in New Mexico that I would love to sell to the OP. Only $100k per acre! It's quite a bargain considering the frontage to the water.

0bLiViOuS 05-08-2013 12:04 AM

I remember talking to friends about this years ago when I heard about doing it in old MB diesels. Never got around to trying it, but I could say I have a form of this same concept in one of my other cars.. it's just a meth/water injection kit really. Water will help eliminate detonation (which is why I have it and many other racers) without injecting additional fuel. So as long as you have something like a FlashPro, I can see you leaning out the AF and using water to reduce knock/detonation. Obviously there's a limit on how much you can really inject and who knows the benefits you'd see.

DrewE 05-08-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 0bLiViOuS (Post 1179767)
I remember talking to friends about this years ago when I heard about doing it in old MB diesels. Never got around to trying it, but I could say I have a form of this same concept in one of my other cars.. it's just a meth/water injection kit really. Water will help eliminate detonation (which is why I have it and many other racers) without injecting additional fuel. So as long as you have something like a FlashPro, I can see you leaning out the AF and using water to reduce knock/detonation. Obviously there's a limit on how much you can really inject and who knows the benefits you'd see.

The OP wasn't talking about water injection, which is a valid concept for turbocharged or supercharged engines (and quite practical for turbo diesel engines), largely because it cools down the air. I don't think it would be of particular benefit with normally aspirated engines, though I may be mistaken.

However, the discussion was instead about a silly hydrogen generator idea, which uses electrolysis to break water into hydrogen and oxygen and injects both, in trivial quantities, into the intake air. While hydrogen can be burned in an engine to produce power (and water for exhaust), the concept of generating hydrogen by electrolysis of water and then burning it in the engine to produce any net power or efficiency gain is pure fantasy (or perhaps pure fraud).

As an aside, water injection was also sometimes used with jet engines to increase thrust, for much the same reasons as with turbos; the original engines for the B-52 and variants are one well-known example. It works (in terms of increased thrust), but also produces great clouds of nasty smoke and requires some significant extra logistical support.