Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   Next Steps (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/79458-next-steps.html)

apexanimal 08-29-2013 04:49 PM

Next Steps

So I'm getting my suspension sorted (I'd still love to find some poly for the control arms that doesn't cost a million)... And I'm looking a forward to when my clutch wears out... Whenever that might be...

The general consensus is the exedy stage 1 is the way to go... I have no need of getting anything higher capacity... Any other considerations? Suggestions?

Also while I was in there, I was thinking about getting a lightweight flywheel... From what I've seen fidanza is the only real game here... Weighs 7 compared to the stock 17... Does everyone still like this options? Not worth it? Get a light pulley instead?

Just trying to see if opinions are still the same...

Thanks!

apexanimal 09-11-2013 09:43 PM

:( anyone?

Wanderer. 09-11-2013 10:40 PM

What kind of driving is this for?

Lighter flywheel will do way more for you than any pulley. You have a GD right? There are a few threads on here about the Fidanza flywheel, no complaints for GD iirc.

I would think the Exedy would be a slight upgrade and I don't think you'd need much more than those two together as far as drivetrain.

LSD? Might as well since you'll have everything apart anyway haha

kylerwho 09-12-2013 01:23 AM

lightened pulley's are not worth it and are harmful (solid aluminum vs oem has rubber dampner)

lightened flywheels are always a fun upgrade, turns a car motor into a motorcycle engine in no time flat. ha ha

loudbang 09-12-2013 04:27 AM

For the umpteenth time the Fit pulley is NOT a damper it is just a pulley. So solid or none is OK.

apexanimal 09-12-2013 04:47 PM

Yup - gd here

Some autox... Lots of amusement otherwise...

Thought about the lsd but the money will be neded elsewhere...

Thanks!

loudbang 09-13-2013 01:03 AM

For the money invested crank pulley replacement is good value for the money. Look way back when this place first opened there are a bunch of threads on the pulleys and the results.

If you don't have one yet and have $600.00 to play with a flashpro has been giving good results for the people that installed them.

apexanimal 09-13-2013 10:38 AM

Yeah I'd love to get one of those too... ;)

De36 09-14-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by apexanimal (Post 1199684)

The general consensus is the exedy stage 1 is the way to go... I have no need of getting anything higher capacity... Any other considerations? Suggestions?

Also while I was in there, I was thinking about getting a lightweight flywheel... From what I've seen fidanza is the only real game here... Weighs 7 compared to the stock 17... Does everyone still like this options? Not worth it? Get a light pulley instead?

Unless you have a turbo, a stage 1 clutch will surfice. The stage 1 clutch will be ok on the street, it's not a huge difference in clamping force where you will have a left leg work out. Exedy is the better quality brand, hands down. You obviously will pay more.

I have had both Fidanza and Exedy on my other cars and never had issues with either. Great companies.

I suggest the LW flywheel, as long as you are in there you might as well swap to the Exedy flywheel. You won't lose drivability on a "off the self" performance part like this.

If you choose to reuse the OEM fly wheel; you WILL have to send the OEM flywheel to the machine shop and have it resurfaced, and losing a day or two. Or chatter will occur.

The LW pulley and LW flywheel make a killer combo on any car. These are things people do on their street tuned cars for a little extra "um-ph". I have a LW pulley and it was worth it. There is a noticeable difference is responds.

apexanimal 09-14-2013 11:26 AM

Thanks for your sharing your experiences!

I know Aj made a pulley... And I saw that unorthodox does as well but it's $$$... Any other brands or preferences here?

Also, just to confirm what I read, the exedy will bolt up to the fidanza lwfw?

hehn 09-14-2013 11:44 AM

I have an MFactory flywheel on my fit it only weighs 9lbs. That mixed with the stage 2 exedy clutch made a huge difference. I also have a quaife LSD. The car feels great. I think the car would be a little tough to drive with a 7lbs flywheel if you drive the fit a lot.

apexanimal 09-14-2013 06:17 PM

Does mfactory still make them? Do they have a replaceable friction material?

Texas Coyote 09-14-2013 08:46 PM

You guys are talking about stuff I know I am going to need to do pretty soon.. I can't believe that this little econobox was going to be the car that I had put more money into than any other car I have owned.

hehn 09-15-2013 10:44 AM

Racing Flywheel
they are still listed on their site. I didn't read anything about replaceable friction material, so i'm just gonna say no.

Texas Coyote 09-15-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by hehn (Post 1202123)
Racing Flywheel
they are still listed on their site. I didn't read anything about replaceable friction material, so i'm just gonna say no.

You should be alright with this flywheel.. The only ones I have seen with replaceable flywheel surface have been made of aluminum.. A chrome moly flywheel can be resurfaced.. I'm thinking that using a throttle controller in one of the Eco settings would make stop and go driving easier and prolong the life of the clutch and flywheel.. Thank you for posting this with a link.. I'm bookmarking it.:thumbups:

13fit 09-15-2013 04:02 PM

You can use all the GD3 stuff for clutch and flywheel options. They havent really filled the books with GE8 listed parts.

My future plans is the NST pulley (stock size, no over/under drive), half weight flywheel, and any clutch tha thas same clamping or more, and weighs same or less as factory. AKA anything better lol.

Solid pulleys are perfectly acceptable! You guys do realize fluid/rubber just means its dampened at a SPECIFIC rpm, not all the way? besides stock is undampened.

My goals should bring me around 5-7 more horses to the ground and a hell of a lot better response

apexanimal 09-15-2013 09:44 PM

Thoughts on that nst pullies? I saw then and the price is good... Splitting hairs they're not quite as light and I don't know too much about them...

I'm liking the mfactory flywheel for price and slightly heavier weight... But then thinking if I did just get the fidanza I wouldn't "need" the lighter pulley...

Just talking out loud...

13fit 09-15-2013 09:49 PM

Keep in mind, hub center weight removal is nowhere near as effective as outer rim weight removal.

If you were to remove 4-5 pounds from a pulley, it could be just as effective as removing a pound from the flywheel near the outer edge.

If you are undecided if the pulley is worth it, I would skip it entirely and simply go for the flywheel!

apexanimal 09-16-2013 05:47 PM

Noted

10char

loudbang 09-17-2013 04:11 AM

For results with lightweight standard belt size (not underdriven) pulleys there are a BUNCH of threads on them way back when this place first opened.