Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

even lighter batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by devmail
Just purchased a Ballistic evo2 8 cell battery and lightweight SAE terminals on eBay for around $200 Canadian. We'll see how it works.
Was looking at the link you provided for the battery but they are out of stock. Appears they have it at Amazon so I'm considering ordering there.
Amazon Amazon

Now the SAE terminals. I'm not familiar with this but want to purchase the correct kind (Is there only one kind?). Could you happen to provide a link to SAE terminals I can purchase (that would be the correct ones for this battery)? Thanks for any help.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
This is the much lighter but slightly more expensive kind: https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.voltphreaks.com/ssl/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=143

I first bought something similar on eBay but it turned out to be the regular brass type so I recommend VoltPhreaks.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
And lets not forget about lighter SAE terminals for these batteries: https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@...roducts_id=143
Huge thanks for the quick reply to both my PM and here. It is much appreciated. I've ordered the battery and terminals. Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2014, 12:28 AM
If you guys want the best benefit of getting a small lightweight battery, make sure you guys are considering installing it on the opposite side of the driver.

There is some generous space behind the motor on the firewall if you get a good quality heat mat of some sort to protect the battery from exhaust heat. Or if you are decatted like me, you now have over 10 pounds of weight removal, and a TON more room since the OEM primary cat is so big (with its heatshield of course)

Old 07-02-2014, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Huge thanks for the quick reply to both my PM and here. It is much appreciated. I've ordered the battery and terminals. Thanks again!
Np! My battery arrived slightly discharged and didn't start the car at first, a few mins on the charger and its been good ever since.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Just installed the 8cell evo in my geo. Holy crap is that battery ever light. Starts the 1.3 litre just as well as the optima yellow top I was running. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
One more thing on this battery. I noticed that the stock battery (44B19L-S) is 340CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). If I had to do this again, I'd pick one of two of these Ballistic batteries -->

12 Cell EVO2 (12 Cell EVO2 L) $229.95
Weight = 2.44lbs.
360 amps

Or the 16 Cell EVO2
Weight = 3.5lbs
480 amps

At least these two would give you a piece of mind if you live in the colder climates. They should be able to match the stock CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) at minimum with little to no penalty to weight. Just a thought!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
You are right, I would also recommend the above batteries for colder climates. My car is typically stored in an unheated but attached garage and it gives me no problems with the 8 cell. Only hesitations are when it's outside all day or night during a cold snap.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Still having great luck with this battery. Just balanced charged it for the first time since May and it was only slightly out of balance.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Still having great luck with this battery. Just balanced charged it for the first time since May and it was only slightly out of balance.
Dev,
The Evo battery has been performing flawlessly, starting the car with no issues. It's been sitting in the car overnight in this 'Polar Vortex' temperatures, dropping down into the single digits (Ex: 8F). I'm amazed! My Odossey battery failed to start my RAV4 and it had 11.8volts of charge.

I will be getting a couple more of these batteries. A stronger colder crank for both my RAV4 and the Fit. Hell...maybe the Subarus later. They are awesome!

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Guys I have been testing a lightweight solution that is budget friendly and reliable.

look on ebay for an ultracapacitor assembly. Seller is landlec or similar. The device looks like 6 blue D cell batteries on a circuit board.

I combined this with a small sealed battery purchased from Batteries Plus. The small 2-3 pound battery serves only to maintain voltage, as the capacitor has started my car even at 7 volts.

You MUST turn off your dome light and remove any scanner devices if you leave the car for over 24 hours.

It is cold here in Wisconsin and this setup has started my car great. However, I have two powerful 12inch subs wired up with nearly 2000watts of Kenwood amp glory, and I have determined you must quit the music 10 minutes before turning the car off.

The ultracapcitor is $90-95 shipped, the small battery was $20 or 25, and the project box and black rtv to seal the box was about $10. This is assuming you have 3-4 feet of 8 gauge laying around and some connectors.

If someone would like pictures of my setup, I will TRY to load them into my photobucket and post them. I am extremely busy at my buddy's shop, as I have no job and work to pay my bills when his workload is over his head. Always busy at a shop that does literally everything minus machine work lol

Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking of getting the 12 cell but it seems everyone has good luck with the 8 cell. Good thing I really do not have to worry about the cold weather since San Diego, CA is warm most the year.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
I was thinking of getting the 12 cell but it seems everyone has good luck with the 8 cell. Good thing I really do not have to worry about the cold weather since San Diego, CA is warm most the year.
You should have no problems whatsoever if the temps stay above freezing. Just brought my car in from outside, 8 degrees Celsius, started no problem.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
You should have no problems whatsoever if the temps stay above freezing. Just brought my car in from outside, 8 degrees Celsius, started no problem.
By switching to this battery I would shave 20lbs of the vehicle. Thats big. My goal is to hopefully shave at least 100lbs off for next race season. The new seats will help as well.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Update

Just wanted to say again that despite the record breaking low temperatures here (Couple of days, it's been the lowest it has been in about 20yrs), the battery has been starting up without any issues. Felt like -28F on a couple of nights.

Incredible little battery.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Good to hear! My battery has not quit on me either, despite the below freezing temperatures. It WILL not start the engine on the first few cranks however when it's below freezing. What you need to do is crank the engine 3 or 4 times, wait....the battery will warm up. Crank 3-4 times...wait. Battery gets warmer and eventually it will start as long as you do not keep cranking the engine until the battery dies. This is when it's -5 degress celcius and under tho.

These batteries perform better and crank faster you'll notice as they begin to warm up. Just gotta be patient.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
So I've found the limit for this battery! I was on vacation for 5 weeks and forgot to unplug the battery in the car. Came back, completely dead, beyond saving. My stupid fault...

Old 06-13-2015, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone hooked up a solar power changer for there dashboard to keep the battery charged and healthy? My worries about this batter is it dying between racing since the car is only used on weekends (sometimes there is a 2-3 weeks break) and i'm not around to jump in the car and start it during the week.

I've hear once this battery goes below 10-11 volts it's pretty much throw away time...

Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
As long as you disconnect it, it should last no problem. When not hooked up these batteries discharge less than 10% per year or so. Its just that they have very little reserve power with parasitic draws.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Has anyone hooked up a solar power changer for there dashboard to keep the battery charged and healthy? My worries about this batter is it dying between racing since the car is only used on weekends (sometimes there is a 2-3 weeks break) and i'm not around to jump in the car and start it during the week.

I've hear once this battery goes below 10-11 volts it's pretty much throw away time...
WOW! This is so friggin' cool. I never even heard of such a thing.
Solar Power Battery Charger!

I'm gonna read a few reviews now but it looks to be favorable. At $30 a piece, it's a steal and probably a lifesaver for me. Thanks!
Oh yeah, had Fit down for the count for 2.5 weeks and starts with no problem. I will definitely be getting more of these Evolution batteries for my other vehicles. It's the shizzle!

Quick Reply: even lighter batteries