Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/)
-   -   What engine oil do you use for HM Fits? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning/81543-what-engine-oil-do-you-use-hm-fits.html)

ikutoisahobo 03-03-2014 11:04 PM

What engine oil do you use for HM Fits?

I just changed the oil today and stopped putting the regular Chevron 5W-20 and went for the Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic Blend 5W-20

What do you guys use on your high mileage Fits?

EightyFour 03-04-2014 02:46 AM

I use Redline 5w20 for winter and 5w30 for summer.

ikutoisahobo 03-07-2014 06:38 PM

Just an update on the Valvoline HM Synthetic Blend;

It sucks. The engine runs a lot 'tighter' (for the lack of a better word) and it just doesn't seem as revvy anymore. It's like the oil is really thick or something and it's not flowing like the Chevron 5W-20. I have doubts that the Valvoline is 5W-20.

I guess after the cleaners and stuff in the Valvoline do their job, I'll stop using it next oil change.

GinoLicious 03-08-2014 06:20 PM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20. My oil was really low on this oil change. I need to start monitoring my oil consumption. I hope it's just related to the fact that I went 3,000k over on my oil change. It was too cold to do it myself. I hope that's the reason and an under fill oppose to a fried piston ring.

ikutoisahobo 03-08-2014 06:23 PM

I drove an easy 6k miles on my oil. I'd think synthetic would last longer.

Stevens24 03-08-2014 11:57 PM

Eneos 5w-20

13fit 03-09-2014 12:05 AM

Mobil1 advanced economy 0w-20

Way better then the Castrol 5w-20

feels better then the Mobil1 synthetic 0w-20

That "advanced economy" comes at a slightly higher price, but the oil stays looking good after 8k miles. Even with my driving style.

MTLian 03-09-2014 12:47 AM

What makes you say that it's so much better than Castrol? Personally I think that people over exaggerate the difference between name brand oils but I have heard (not from reliable sources) that Castrol was particularly good for use with Hondas.

I'm currently running castrol synthetic 5w20. Isn't 0w20 a synthetic blend?

feifei 03-09-2014 01:12 AM

I use Castrol Titanium 5w20

ikutoisahobo 03-09-2014 04:40 AM

I'll probably try the 0W-20 oils next oil change. I wonder if it will run even lighter than the Chevron 5W-20, because that was smooth and the engine felt like it was 'gliding' with no effort.

GinoLicious 03-09-2014 10:17 AM

No one is using Mobil 1 synthetic. Any reason for that besides of its price? I feel like the only one with 154,000km using Mobil 1. I'm not saying I'm the only one with 154,000km on the boards. I know there are higher :). But it feels like many of you are not using Mobil 1. Next oil change I am adding Lucas oil stabilizer with my Mobil 1. Will never go more then 20km past oil change. This time I burnt a bit more due to 2-3 months over what I should have changed at.

13fit 03-09-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MTLian (Post 1226029)
What makes you say that it's so much better than Castrol? Personally I think that people over exaggerate the difference between name brand oils but I have heard (not from reliable sources) that Castrol was particularly good for use with Hondas.

I'm currently running castrol synthetic 5w20. Isn't 0w20 a synthetic blend?

The Castrol 5w-20 took forever to change color, and it lost it's consistancy.

base M1 synth 0w-20 still felt fresh even after 5k miles, and when changed at 9k miles, felt good even though it was darker.

the last change of M1 AE 0w-20 changed color after a thousand miles or so, and now with around 7k miles on it, still feels "fresh"

couple thousand more miles, and another change of M1 AE, and I will have a better idea, as you cannot really change 100% of the oil even after 3-4 changes.

After I have done 4 or so M1 AE changes, I will start sending in samples to be tested.:thumbups:

13fit 03-09-2014 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GinoLicious (Post 1226055)
No one is using Mobil 1 synthetic. Any reason for that besides of its price? I feel like the only one with 154,000km using Mobil 1. I'm not saying I'm the only one with 154,000km on the boards. I know there are higher :). But it feels like many of you are not using Mobil 1. Next oil change I am adding Lucas oil stabilizer with my Mobil 1. Will never go more then 20km past oil change. This time I burnt a bit more due to 2-3 months over what I should have changed at.

I used the regular Mobil1 with decent results as far as oil consistency. I use the advanced economy because it promotes lube additives that are not present in the base M1. phosphorous is a good additive to have!

Edison Carasio 03-11-2014 11:21 AM

Too embarrassed to say.

spreadhead 03-12-2014 06:04 PM

Whatever full synth 5W20 is cheapest, always Quaker State. '07 with 150K miles.

breadtrk 03-12-2014 11:34 PM

Cheapest crap Autozone sells as soon as the reminder light comes on.

Wanderer. 03-13-2014 12:42 AM

I guess mine qualifies as "high mileage" at almost 90k. I just use good ol' Walmart Mobil 1 full synthetic and have since the beginning. I usually end up topping off about 1/2 quart towards the end of the interval using whatever the cheapest xW20 weight synthetic is available at whatever store I happen to be at.

myfoxmystere 03-13-2014 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by GinoLicious (Post 1225970)
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20. My oil was really low on this oil change. I need to start monitoring my oil consumption. I hope it's just related to the fact that I went 3,000k over on my oil change. It was too cold to do it myself. I hope that's the reason and an under fill oppose to a fried piston ring.

That can do some serious damage to an aluminum block engine. You can fry a ring and do other damage to your block and cylinder head. Make sure your gaskets aren't damaged as a result as well. Dirty oil wears out your seals faster, causing a greasy mess in the engine compartment. I had Just Tires do my last oil change when I had my tires rotated; I fully understand the temptation during cold weather about not wanting to crawl under and do the oil change. I'll be doing my next oil change myself this week.

myfoxmystere 03-13-2014 11:26 PM

I use 5w20 oil from O'Reilly Auto Parts with STP or equivalent additive. Before I drain the oil, I run Gunk Motor Flush in the crankcase for 5 minutes to cleanse it from varnish and other messy carbon deposits. I'll also use one of 4 oil filters: WIX, NAPA, AC DELCO PF 2057 or the stock Honda filter. Fram makes the filter for Honda...Fram Tough Guard TG7317 seems to be the equivalent of the Honda Filter. Wix makes NAPA's filters. The key is to get the carbon deposits cleaned out; check your air filter as well when doing your oil.

myfoxmystere 03-13-2014 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo (Post 1225871)
Just an update on the Valvoline HM Synthetic Blend;

It sucks. The engine runs a lot 'tighter' (for the lack of a better word) and it just doesn't seem as revvy anymore. It's like the oil is really thick or something and it's not flowing like the Chevron 5W-20. I have doubts that the Valvoline is 5W-20.

I guess after the cleaners and stuff in the Valvoline do their job, I'll stop using it next oil change.

Before you change the oil, desludge the crankcase with GUNK Motorflush or its equivalent. Run it for 5 Minutes, then drain the oil & change the filter. Then add STP to your fresh motor oil, and it should lubricate the engine better. Lucas oil additives are also good, if you prefer Lucas. I've used O'Reilly's equivalent to STP as well along with their store brand oil, with no problem whatsoever. The same goes with AutoZone and Pep Boys oil. When AutoZone was Chief's Auto Parts years ago, Chief's oil was made by Valvoline.