General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
How do you decide which car to drive?
it's just a matter of mood. if i feel tired and want to go on a relaxing cruise id take the Golf-R. if i feel refreshed and want to drive spiritedly id take the STI.

unless my wife took the GK i usually just drive the GK to run errands. GTI is solely for my commute.. i just cant get passed the boring nature of AT cars so i would never take the GTI out for fun.. i feel like im just wasting fuel when i take the GTI out on weekends. at least the car looks cool though..

one thing i REALLY hate about DSG is that it auto shifts-up at redline. perhaps i should get the DSG reflash and prevent shiftups except the 1-2 shift. people recommend i do it anyway.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
I also hate the GTI's downshift button on the gas pedal. When you mash the gas, if in the lower gear RPM range, it auto downshifts even if you want to pull the gear you are in. makes me mad. haha another reason to get the DSG reflash to disable the downshift feature..

For the R, im going to do the clearbra install on my own instead of having my tint guy do it this week. i was trying to figure out why i was asking my tint guy to do it cause i usually install clearbra.

i realized i got mixed up cause i got a package deal from the guy in the past doing the tint AND clearbra at a discount... i dont need tint on the R cause the car is garaged during the week and i wont be parking her anywhere.. which means i dont need my tint guy's help.

plus having to drop off a car with less than 50 miles at a shop with a tiny parking lot is kinda

Old 05-29-2017, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Just give me the GTI & take my Fit :P

I really liked DSG when I test drove an S3.

Glad you're enjoying the R/STI!

Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Haha! I think with the DSG reflash, most of the hate would go away.. but the boring aspect will stay. It's a great tranny for those that don't know how to drive MT or just want to go fast.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
I just want smooth, smooth shifts & neat rev match downshifts.

I get them myself in AP1, a daily that does them for me sounds pleasant haha

Old 05-30-2017, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
Yah, the DSG can provide smooth shifts but honestly my MT driving is a lot smoother on downshifts at some speeds. DSG is not perfect in that respect in manual mode, I need to apply some throttle to assist the lower gear rpm to make a seamless transition. In full auto mode it is very smooth both up and down shift but the program is too conservative in D and too aggressive in S mode.

I mean it is still daylights better than wat the GK can ever offer with its sloppy torque converter + CVT.. for AT it is superb I suppose. Just not into AT's in general.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Woot, got my tracking number for the clearbra for the R. Should be in my hands before the weekend. Going to install it Saturday morning.

i also got the custom front plate mount coming to me too. i dont want to use it, but its the law here and im tired of getting pulled over just for that. going to be doing a Eurodyne tune after break in (unless AP is available..) so do not want any air blockage at the front mount intercooler by the plate. and i have prox sensors so can't use the tow hook plate mount.

Got the torin scissors jack, tire plug kit, mini tool set, etc placed under the trunk floor on my R. at least now i can fix a puncture if i get one in the field without needing a tow or ruining my tires with that slime stuff.. which reminds me... i need to get a tire pressure gauge.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
ordered a cheapo pen gauge to put in my emergency bag. i dont need the accuracy, just needs to be able to compare with my other tires in case one appears kinda low in the field.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Installed clear bra on my GolfR last night. Took me a good while to do but turned out nice. Will dry in the sun all day today.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
i let my R dry all day out in the sun.. now dusty

placed the car on ramps to inspect the clear bra on the bottom lip, just looked over the under carriage, cleaned up the block a little bit, then verified which engine bone mount the car uses.

ordered up a engine bone insert....same one as my GTI. thing prevents wheel hop and tightens up the shifts. i know VW wants to isolate the engine vibration and all, but dat factory mount is too soft even for a stock car imho.

going to take her out for a spin tomorrow.. finally. my front plate mount bracket hasnt arrived yet.. hope i dont get pulled over.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
crap, spider went inside somewhere in my R's front grill.. lol wtf mang.. last thing i need is spider webs all over my brand spakin new ride. will be pulling her out for some motoring fun this am so should be either dead or fall out of the car by the time im back.

going to spray some chemicals in my garage to repel spiders..

Old 06-03-2017, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
checked the psi on all my cars. what i like about getting warmer is dat i dont usually need my air compressor. just let some air out, it that. GK's running about 36psi at 65F.. usually do like 38psi so with the heat outside, should be good to go.

remember the simple rule of thumb: 1psi change for 10F of ambient temp change outside.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
mike410b- im luving ur new sig pict!!

Old 06-03-2017, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
got back from my first real drive in my new Golf-R. thing may not be as fun to drive as my STI, but the ride is very compliant to the roads out here, it is super nice.

it's basically an older guy's fun hatch. clutch is light, shifter is kinda sloppy for my standards, but not notchy at all, easy to drive. ride is smooth and comfy even in Race mode in DCC compared to my STI. But then again, you dont drive an STI for comfort so this is just for reference sake.

as far has handling, the R takes the corners fast without any hint of understeer.
i thought my GTI turned real well for a FWD car with its LSD, but the R takes it up another couple of notches. very neutral with a touch of oversteer-ish feel.

easy to dd im sure, not that i will be since i have my DSG GTI.
overall im real happy with my purchase and the new variety i have now.

going to install H&R 8mm hubcentric spacers on the rear wheels later today.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
alright, short shifter ordered for the R. should fix up the slop nicely.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
installed rear 8mm hubcentric spacers on my R.. wow, perfect stance.
took a fast turn, no understeer so i am good. no lowering needed.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
washed the two Golfs this am after motoring my R. claybar'ed the R's surfaces that were slightly contaminated, followed by a tack spray wipe down, and HydroMax.

car looks fantastic.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
i didnt know spotify works natively on carplay.

i hate that software but gave it a try in my R this am. yah, still hate it but has a different variety of music so will keep it on my phone for now. it's better than iheartradio though cause i can skip tracks i dont like.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
k, got the new short shifter installed last night on my R and it is a night/day difference in the shifter gate feel. i luv it.

also decided that the exhaust is a tad quiet so got a S3 resonator delete kit coming. that along with the bone insert and piggyback should make my R mine.

in this respect, subaru did a fantastic job on the current gen STI. there's really no short coming i felt when i bought the car (car already came with a factory short shifter) besides the dumb horns which i already replaced.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
installed this cool 3D printed front plate bracket that mounts low and off to the side away from the intercooler on my R tonight.

also got the piggyback and program cable for the R..

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?