General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
haha car's looking good mike!

Old 09-04-2017, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
This weekend I disgusted my friend with the thought that I'd take a picture of my car with the trunk open.

His reaction proved me right.

Why's he got a stank face on?

Also...clean S14 zenki =) Miss mine...like your S2K more though.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
<3 guys

Stank face is literally him saying "Why are you taking a picture of the car with the trunk open"

That zenki was SWEET, if I had another garage space I'd keep Fit a few years longer & pick one up.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
haha i want more garage space too!

too lazy now, house is already paid off and i dont feel like moving since my kids are getting older anyway. i do plan on buying another house for just the wife and me down the road..

Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
alright back to the grind today..

inspected the minor repair i did on the R's side diffuser this am making sure the piece wasn't lifting off. no issue. going on a relaxing drive to and from work today in the GTI, going to take it easy at work too. too tired from the crap i had to go through last week.

might call my tint guy to see if he has any openings this month. im still kinda back and forth on the tint for my R. if i do go through with it, will go with 35% all around less windshield.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
alright first half of the day was nothing remotely close to taking it easy at work lol. holy cow poop.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
haha i want more garage space too!

too lazy now, house is already paid off and i dont feel like moving since my kids are getting older anyway. i do plan on buying another house for just the wife and me down the road..
Well that explains a LOT. Im jealous, but if I could put even just my half of our mortgage payment towards car(s)...I'd be driving a Type-R and god knows what else lol.

SoCal isn't cheap! One day it'll be paid off? lol.

Yeah I'm torn between 20% and 30% tint on the Civic...leaning towards 30%, 20 just seems too dark.

Busy day of catch up at work huh?

Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
does it? im still saving up for our kids' college funds and retirement so i'm not really all that free yet.

plus we bought a cheap house compared to my wife and i's income since i have no interest in houses lol. it was a brand new home in a safe community and decent public schools for my kids so it's all right. no complaints beside want more parking space! haha

yah faking busy day at work. but its okay. not complaining about my job.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
as for tint i had 20% all around when i lived in socal and never got pulled over but who knows.. might be safer to go lighter at least on the front side windows.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari

Yeah I'm torn between 20% and 30% tint on the Civic...leaning towards 30%, 20 just seems too dark.
I'm having the same dilemma. Wife keeps asking me to make the appointment for the Golf, but the tint she chose only comes in 35 or 20. She wants the 20. I think it's a little too dark, but the 35 is too light.

I've had everything from 5 to the 40 that's on my Lincoln. I think that 30 would be a good sweet spot.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
considering the front glass isnt tinted, 35% is to me borderline too dark as far as balance. i've seen 43% (?) and it was very nice from a cosmetic point of view. my GTI and STI both run 35 all around except for front glass.

20% for rear is great but too dark for front. the GK is running 20% on the rear sides and rear. great for privacy while parked and hiding belongings for sure.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I guess I'm weird, but I like the flexibility that a torque converter adds to the auto.

Test drove a GTI with the DSG and it was one of the worst behaving automatics I had ever experienced (second worst to the Ford Focus clutch style auto). Low speed lunges and lurches were just way too much drama for me when just trying to inch along in traffic. That was in 2015, so maybe they've made improvements. It conducted flawless upshifts and downshifts at speed and especially when under throttle, but it's low speed traffic and parking lot manners were horrible. It was also a brand new car so maybe they get better with some miles?

I think it really comes down to the reason you're picking an automatic. For me, I want an auto to be smooth and allow for mindless operation. Otherwise, just give me a manual that's more engaging and enjoyable.

Edited to add...That's if picking a street car. The dual clutch auto's dominate most forms of racing and do have their place.
I'll have agree to disagree with you. My car life was full of manual transmissions until 2 years ago. I was a die-hard manual guy that is until my orthopedic doc said get thee into an automatic your left knee is full of rocks & gravel.

The search started for a car with an autobox that I could live with. Once I found the GTI & DSG it was all good. Since I have none of the problems you seem to have with the DSG either my driving style makes the difference or the DSG is broken & not behaving correctly.

Coming from a manual all I can say is the DSG is as perfect of a gearbox there is for this gimpy old guy.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 09-05-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
What's most likely is that the one I test drove wasn't right. A sample of one is a small sample, so it could have just not been right.

Reading through VW forums, it seems some are right and some aren't. A small handful of owners complain about lurching and harsh shifts.

I know from my Lincoln that these cars are 100% dependent on good programming. Ford misses a lot on their programming. There are literally tons of different programs written over a single model run in Ford's with them trying to get things right. Sometimes they miss bad. I had a 2007 Explorer that was a total mess until Ford came out with a program revision. Then, all was good.

I may have driven a VW with software that was a miss.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
yah the throttle response is very much like a MT on the DSG.. there is some finess needed when driving in 1st gear hold or even 2nd gear hold especially throttle up. this is why i thought there is some learning curve to get the most out of the DSG especially for those that can only drive AT cars with the mush throttle pedal aka torque converter hell

i too had a bad left ankle a few yrs back thinking it might be time to retire MT driving. luckily for me my ankle is much better and can comfortably say i hate AT cars even if DSG. haha

Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
well for the commute DSG is okay..

Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I think there is a learning curve to the DSG. Given enough time with one it may work better for you GAFIT. It does not work like a smooth torque converter. It doesn't sap power like one either. I'm sure there are some that need to be reprogrammed both the driver & the DSG. We all like different things vive la difference!

Old 09-05-2017, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Strangely enough, it's also medical issues that lead us to buy the Golf. Wife's Dr. and Chiro told her that she shouldn't be driving a manual. At least not until her back and neck are better.

She's a Honda gal by birth and choice, but she won't drive a CVT. That pretty much lead us to find another fun hatch. Enter the Golf.

Was a win for me as well since now I get to have the Fit at home while she's at work.

Kenchan, you've got to think of the Fit differently. If you're like me, you love acceleration. The Fit is ideal for acceleration junkies. I get to spend muuuuch more time accelerating. Heck, I can hang it wide open for half the drive to my son's school without exceeding the 55mph speed limit. Half the drive is uphill and we live in the mountains.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
They say it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I have to agree with that to some extent.

Doesn't the Golf feel like it is carved out of a solid chunk of steel? So solid & well made. Nothing wrong with the fit, but it doesn't have the same feel to it.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
The Fit is ideal for acceleration junkies. I get to spend muuuuch more time accelerating. Heck, I can hang it wide open for half the drive to my son's school without exceeding the 55mph speed limit. Half the drive is uphill and we live in the mountains.
hahahaha!! that's awesome. i suppose fun if you like whaling on the gas pedal listening to the poor engine screaming like a vacuum cleaner that accidentally sucked up a golf ball or something. haha

Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
driving the Fit fast is like driving in slow motion on instant replay. its a fun car to drive as long as it's on surface streets and noone else around i guess.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?