General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
kenchan, that is so weird!

The glass on our Golf has weird marks on the inside and outside. I've hit it with everything I could think of including vinegar. Vinegar did the best, but it still comes back over time or with fog. Have no idea what it is.

I'm wondering if our Golf's paint and glass were exposed to some kind of extreme pollution/contamination or something. I know it sounds weird, but I just can't figure out what's going on with the thing.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
And, yes! I got the turbo kit. Been studying it and trying to figure out some stuff. Already see it's going to need some changes. Some of the piping is just too small and I'm not sure, but I think someone swapped the real Garrett turbo with a chinese copy. I'll probably test fit this weekend and then evaluate what to replace/improve.

I'm not looking for big power, but I like things to be right. Will also send some stuff off to be ceramic coated before final install.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
kenchan, that is so weird!

The glass on our Golf has weird marks on the inside and outside. I've hit it with everything I could think of including vinegar. Vinegar did the best, but it still comes back over time or with fog. Have no idea what it is.

I'm wondering if our Golf's paint and glass were exposed to some kind of extreme pollution/contamination or something. I know it sounds weird, but I just can't figure out what's going on with the thing.
thanks for the response. yah i don't know wat it is either but it does seem like out gassing or some contaminant in the air that hardened. thinking all golfs share the same flaw including mine and i've not seen any posts where people were having problems with smudges under tint so i'm just going to go for it. i can't recall if my GTI was like that either.. but there is no visible smudge through the tint.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
alright my older kid helped me bring up the STI's Prodrives to the garage.
placed new STI center cap decals and now it looks like a factory set. woot

aired them up, will install later in the week.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah, while i was working on my R today my wife started the GK near by and that vtc noise is LOUD! wat a pos sound it makes..

Old 10-17-2017, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
had some soup for lunch, now heading over to my tint guy in a few.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Just back from my tint guy and heating lunch!

CTX 30 on all windows including a front strip AND CTX 5 on the sunroof! He was able to get his hands up in there to tint it. Woohoo!

Old 10-17-2017, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
nice GAFIT! i'm at the tint shop right now. assistant prepping the glass and doors.

ceramic 35's on order for mine. i asked my guy about the factory smudges on the glass and he said as long as it dries clear no worries. so should be ok. but he is using a special solution to remove oils and contaminants.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
one glass down.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
I really, really liked this new tint shop I found. Very clean and professional. They were going through some cars!

He recently became a Llumar dealer and has been offered the Formula One line. He asked if I would have gone with that if he offered it. I said "yes, but not on the Golf. If you were doing one of my keepers, then I'd step up."

They are in a small town, but he's drawing people from quite a ways away and doing higher end cars. He currently has a 50% take rate of CTX which has really surprised him and his Llumar rep. He also carries the two lower end films by Llumar. Interesting business.

Last edited by GAFIT; 10-17-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
it's always nice to have a great shop near by.

actually i'm doing the pinnacle on my R today. i found out that my tint guy used pinnacle last time on the GTI, not llumar ctx not that it's bad or anything, so having him do the same.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
he showed me a tool he made for the front little triangle glass. haha

Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
finishing up the last glass and i'm outta here!

car looks so good already.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
it's always nice to have a great shop near by.

actually i'm doing the pinnacle on my R today. i found out that my tint guy used pinnacle last time on the GTI, not llumar ctx not that it's bad or anything, so having him do the same.
Cool! I think the full name is Formula One Pinnacle. That's what my tint guy may bring in to be above the CTX.

It's amazing the cost difference between films. They just about give away dyed films, charge a bit more for metallic, charge like double for ceramic and then darn near double again to go to Pinnacle.

I'm pretty happy with the CTX, but see there is room for clarity and color improvements.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
yah, that one! he said he had an upgraded version called stratos or something which would run a lot more $ than the pinnacle. i wanted the same look as my GTI on my R and the performance of the pinnacle is plenty good for me, so. im happy with the look.

i bought some donuts on the way home to celebrate, lol, and QD'ed the exterior and the inside rear gate of the R. the doors his assistant put a cover on so no issue with overspray of the solution. since the car is garaged, i kept the doors open to ventilate.. will close it before i go to bed.

wiped down some hydro over my STI's prodrives. looks very nice.

i realized i dont own any j-land aftermarket wheels right now... prodrives are UK, OZ's are italian, and TireRack's own TR wheel (winter set for GK) is chinese. lol pretty weird.

i usually have brands like rays, work, ssr, enkei's in my arsenal.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
A Japanese guy driving a German car made in Mexico with Italian wheels. Only in America I tell ya!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
yah, dat about sums up who dis kenchan figure is..

Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
alright, had some donuts.. was good. my mouth felt sweet so had some j-lander (okaki) chips my buddy brought back from a recent visit to j-land.. then my mouth felt kinda spicy, so had some icecream on a cone.. then my mouth felt sweet again so made another cup of coffee.. now my mouth feels neutral so maybe i should go grab another donut.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
with the successful diverter valves i installed on the GTI and R recently, i bought a BOV for the STI made by the same folks.
i have a feeling the factory valve on the STI is leaking too a bit from the higher boost i am running. i get this minor surge
at times at wot into 3rd gear. it could be the AP, but not sure.. i think it's the valve.

will probably use it in full circulation mode as it is adjustable.. got a super deal on it.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
hummm checked up on my R to see if the battery manger was on float.. nope. seems car cannot sleep with the doors open so i closed them. oh well

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?