General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I swear that at least half of the days are Monday's!

Last night I swapped the Fit back to the stock sport wheels because one of the tires on the 16's has a nail in it. Both sets of tires are fairly shot, so I'll take the 16's and get new tires put on them while they are off.

Anyway...I have not been paying much attention to the Fit over the past couple of years. Wife was just having the oil changes/tire rotations done at the dealership she worked at because they did it free and it was easy and I just didn't care because I was working on my own stuff. That is meant to explain how this was able to happen.

Two of the tires on the stock sport wheels are mounted backwards. Totally explains why the car had a hydroplaning problem and why it didn't handle quite right. I wasn't driving it enough to care, but this most recent set of Yoko's just didn't seem right. Now I know why. Frickin' tire changing idiots. Does anyone care or know how to do things right anymore?
It's an utter annoyance when you can't find people who cannot properly perform such a simple task of mounting a darn tire. Just read the sidewall for the "outside" label or verify what direction is the tire needs to be when the vehicle rolls forward then install.

Simple if they take 5 seconds of their time to look.

Originally Posted by mike410b
Nope.

That said, my Azenis were mounted correctly & those things are confusing IMO.

I took my Fit to the local Honda dealership to have all-seasons mounted this spring, the balance has been off since day one & they refused to re-sync the TPMS sensors.

So I'm paying more to take the car to the tire shop I've previously used because they A) Balance things correctly so the car drives nicely B) Sync up my TPMS sensors C) Treat me like my business matters
Yeah, those Falkens have an odd tread pattern to them but it's easy to figure out once you set a set of tires together and eye ball the tire tread design.

Regarding your TPMS, I'd be more curious to know if either A) Your sensor(s) is either defective or damaged, B) Your sensor(s) are still in the "sleep state" due to either not being driven over 28 MPH long enough or not being initialized like during Pre-Delivery Inspection, or C) There are other TPMS DTCs in the system.

I'm leaning towards A... Either the battery is weak/dead or the sensor might have gotten crunched during tire replacement.

Also... Our system TPMS doesn't need to be relearned if no new sensors are introduced to the system IF all sensors are working properly of course. I've gone months without running sensors on the AX wheelset then swapped back to the TPMS dailies to see the fault light go off within minutes.

Originally Posted by ashchuckton
You don't go to a steak house & order fish, you don't go to the fish place & order steak. You don't go to the dealer for any tire work. It's not their specialty.

I'm with you Ken I mark my tires. I don't leave my car at the tire shop, I stay there & make sure everything is done correctly. The shop I use Discount Tire is very good, but I have caught the new guy trying to screw up.
True statement regarding food! I partially disagree with the tire work bit though... I've had SH*T luck with Discount Tire on ALL of our family vehicles. My GD, aunt's YK1 V2 Ridgeline and later Audi Q5, as well as customer cars that come through my dealer.

On our Hondas, they over tightened lug nuts and warped our rotors... Consistently. I'm leaning towards installer error on this but pretty much each time, rotors are warped. The Audi? We provided lug studs and hub centric rings for the wheels that we had purchased (and were provided with), we were just getting some Conti DWS 06s mounted them then put on the car there.

Simple task but fail. They didn't install the hub centric rings resulting in the wheel not being quite centered on the hub thus producing a shimmy while driving. I later installed the rings myself then test drove the vehicle... shimmy is reduced but the tires are still slightly out of balance. Just can't quite get everything together with that place.

As for dealers... Yes, they do have similar situations of installer error from time to time (let's face it we're all human) but it usually isn't as bad as going to a tire shop franchise. Excluding available tire choice... factory tire options typically suck. The way I typically see it, I'd rather an experienced tech (be it at a dealer or independent shop) replace my tires while doing a quick visual inspection of the car opposed to a team of 2 or 3 guys at a tire shop just try to bang the car out and move on to the next one.

I may be a little biased by being a tech myself but its more of a mental ease and trust thing. There are people at my own dealership that I won't even let help me out with tire changes if any get assigned one while backed up with other work. LOL

In addition to that... Some cars are starting to bottle neck people either to returning to dealers for tire service or specific shops that have machines capable of replacing the vehicle's specific tire. The Odyssey Touring with PAX tires and the current FK8 Civic Type R are two examples of said vehicles requiring specialized tire machines for their factory wheels.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
^I have multiple sets of TPMS sensors. thus the relearning.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Kenchan - which civic are you talking about that I posted? The white or the black one? The white has some XXR 559s and the black one has the stock wheels. I do kinda see what you mean about the curvy spokes not matching the flow of the car. Maybe have to revisit some other styles.

Also I think i may have asked this previously, but what waterless wash do you use? I was thinking of switching it up and trying the Chemical Guys one.

Loving my current wax job. The car has had dew and condensation on it each morning and it just beads up and wipes off easily. Car is so silky smooth. Can you tell I'm pleased with the results? Haha.

As for the pro-kit, I've had it on one car previously. It rode well, just didnt drop enough. I've had H&R's as well and those did great on koni struts.

Stock rates: 141F/162R
Pro-kit: 157F and 120-183 progressive Rear.
Sportlines: 148F/103R

H&R doesnt provide a spring rate that I can find but drop 1.25"F/1"R.
H&R drop on stock diameter tires.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

Last edited by shinjari; 11-14-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
shinjari- styling wise i would go with the white civic. there are many brands selling that design so i would search around instead of down grading to XXR's.

hey those wheels on the red are the HyperGT i have on my R as winter set. .
i use Griots waterless system.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah Volks/Rays makes a set like them "57FXX" and Wedssport make the FT-117. They look just like the stock type-r wheels though which Im not sure I want to "copy". Part of me even wants to remove the red "H" emblems that the dealer installed on my car.

Haha nice about the HyperGTs.

Whats your process with the Griots? Spray panel, wipe down with DRY microfiber, buff with a clean section of the towel?

Last edited by shinjari; 11-14-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
So how long until I can talk you into a set of NT03RR?

Old 11-14-2017, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
So how long until I can talk you into a set of NT03RR?
Those were on my radar...price isnt though lol. Then the non-RR versions dont come in a color I want...unless im going victory blue haha.

Want a good looking wheel that I can use my stock tires on as well as shed some rotational mass. A wheel in the 20ish pound or less would be ideal. Which is why the wedssport sa10s were great. $350/ea and around 20lbs. Already come with center caps too.

As of my quick search this morning these are on the "list":

Rays gram light 57xtreme 18x8.5 +33
Rays gram light 57FXX (type-r looking wheel) 18x8.5 +38
SSR GTV03 (type-r looking wheel) 18x8.5 +30
SSR GTX01 18x9.5 +40
Enkei NT03 18x9.5 +40 (victory blue) haha.

Hell, maybe even the Konig Hypergrams in 18x8.5 +35 in matte grey are worth while. They are 18lbs and $200ish/ea.

If they weren't $500/ea+...but wish they came in a gunmetal color. The black will just get "lost".
Enkei NT03-RR 18x8.5 +35 OR 18x9 +27/40 (not sure)
Advan RZII 18x8.5 +31 OR 18x9 +35 (probably indigo blue)

Last edited by shinjari; 11-14-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- yah i guess honda had the right idea on the wheel design choice! the typeR wheels are okay but like the XXR you showed, aftermarket has more depth.

as for the waterless i spray liberal amount on the panel and wipe using a dedicated MF towel in one direction. basically top to bottom on all vertical plane always using a clean section of the towel. i use a lot of towels. then followed by a full QD wipe down (SpeedShine).

Old 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
shinjari- yah i guess honda had the right idea on the wheel design choice! the typeR wheels are okay but like the XXR you showed, aftermarket has more depth.

as for the waterless i spray liberal amount on the panel and wipe using a dedicated MF towel in one direction. basically top to bottom on all vertical plane always using a clean section of the towel. i use a lot of towels. then followed by a full QD wipe down (SpeedShine).
Yeah thats my process right now with my Aero Cosmetic waterless. One process said to use a DAMP towel to do the initial wipe, but most I see just say use a DRY towel. Just confusing.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good. yah, i just use a dry towel, but i dont think it would hurt using a damp towel either. i mean the contact surface is damp so probably wont make much of a difference.

the trick is to use a lot of clean towels.. so while the car wash might be 'waterless', youll be using a lot of water in the washing machine. lol

Old 11-14-2017, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
wheew.. got home in my GTI, was a pretty fun drive.

so happy i didnt have to see any of the faking old losers in my neighborhood that i saw yesterday at hoa. i am so pissed now that i have knowledge of these faking losers living around me.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
What were they bickering about? HOA related items?

Old 11-14-2017, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
What were they bickering about? HOA related items?
yah, some old shitthead got penalized for some major violation he did getting sued by the board + legal fees. and its not like the fees were all that big either and yet he says he cant pay, it also faked up his credit score so even if he wants to move he cant get a new mortgage on a new house or something bs. im like just faking die already then, old man! *facepalm* haha

then you got others bickering about out of pocket fees to pay for cosmetic repairs and stuff for their house. and these costs arent big.. a few grand. for a house. who cares.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
then u got folks pissed off at the board for not being responsive enough.. and its not like banter. they were faking serious and yelling at each other. *facepalm*

it was like a live reality show.. of old losers.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
oh geez. yeah glad I'm not part of a HOA for reasons like that.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
yah it really depends where u live though. my buddy is a hoa president at his nice condo outside LA and he has zero loser geezer garbage tenants. mostly elite people in their 30-50's and the wealthy elderly folks. his meetings are great he says.

that's the kinda community i should be living in.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
My neighbors have trailers and cars in their yard. Do I care? Nope, not at all!

I'm just glad to live with no rules. I do what I want and they do what they want. I keep my yard clean and vehicles garaged and running, but happy to live without rules.

Yes, I'm a rebel. My grandparents lived in a community that didn't allow pick up trucks to be parked outside after dark. Pissed me off when I visited. My Superduty is/was worth more than any vehicle in that POS place.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
haha rebel

Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
haha rebel
Maybe closer to a rebel at heart. In the end, I like clean and neat for myself. LOL

Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
yah, the ONLY reason why i bought the current house was because of the location, good school system for kids, community lawn care, snow removal, and exterior maintenance. i mean its a nice looking community, dont get me wrong. just dat after 2008 seems the few foreclosures drove the price down and suddenly turned this community into a faking retirement community i didnt know about. lol

hell if i didnt have kids i would've stayed in socal.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?