General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no AT car for you mike?

Old 01-17-2018, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
I'm totally open to AT.

But if I can get a 6MT in a family sedan, I'm going to do it. I'm a bit of a luddite at times, this is one of those.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
haha, but i completely understand!

alright on the menu today.. have 2 meeting to attend today and rest of pm is pretty much open. think i’m going to head over to honda afterwards and check out the civic Si coupe. not to buy, but want to get a feel of the car wat it might be if i got one for my kid to use.

if i really like it i might get one next yr. if not, i think i’ll just let him use my GTI and let him drive the STI with me at times until he gains good experience and perhaps just give him my STI and trade my GTI for the new DSG Golf-R. then i can keep the STI and have my two Golf-R’s.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
but insurance will kill.. lol. he’s a straight-A student so can get some discount..

will see.. still brainstorming at this point but if i go this route i can keep the cars i want and not have to spend on a new car i may not like so much.. my biggest issue is parking. i’m limited to 4 cars.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ken a bit of advice from one who has gone through this son & his first car thing. Take your son to a street survival school. It will make him much safer. Some autocross will sharpen his skill set too.

This can be a great bonding time for you & your son. Enjoy it.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Those are great ideas Ash. I may have to do that with my kid this summer. Hes gonna be 15 in May so I wanna get him in the miata or elantra to get some wheel time. I recall my parents insurance basically doubling when I got added...not looking forward to that.

Mike410b - hey lets straighten this out...SHE rides horses...I dont pay for her hobbies and she doesnt pay for mine lol. She could've had her lexus 2-3 years ago and be half or more done paying for it...but she chose the horse first lol.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Those are great ideas Ash. I may have to do that with my kid this summer. Hes gonna be 15 in May so I wanna get him in the miata or elantra to get some wheel time. I recall my parents insurance basically doubling when I got added...not looking forward to that.

Mike410b - hey lets straighten this out...SHE rides horses...I dont pay for her hobbies and she doesnt pay for mine lol. She could've had her lexus 2-3 years ago and be half or more done paying for it...but she chose the horse first lol.

I never got added to my folks' insurance. Bought a 12 year old VW Jetta the day I got my temps.

Total electrical system three weeks later.

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE LUXURY SURROUNDING YOU

Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Lol. Perfect driving weather....been debating selling the Rays 57dr's I saved from the the Fit with intentions of putting on the miata. just dont see a set of coilovers for the miata anytime in the "near" future and as mentioned previously...wont put them on without lowering the car.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Wife picked up a drill bit with the Golf today...in the rear driver's side tire. Just barely into the tread off of the outside sidewall. Plugged it at home. Will see if it's holding air in the AM.

She'll be driving the Lincoln tomorrow and I'll be in our beloved Fit. Luxury to have an extra daily.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Lol. Perfect driving weather....been debating selling the Rays 57dr's I saved from the the Fit with intentions of putting on the miata. just dont see a set of coilovers for the miata anytime in the "near" future and as mentioned previously...wont put them on without lowering the car.
Wood sell. Seems reasonable.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
all great ideas! goodam everyone!

so i got back in the benz c-class. put about 400miles on the rental. it wasnt a horrible car, driving dynamics was good, suspension was fine, AT sucked, and the cruise control sucked even more. why they put a lever (stalk) below the turn signal stalk for cruise control is a mystery. not only is it very inconvenient as it is a far reach, no adaptive cruise on this car. thought it was fully loaded, guess not. conclusion for this car is like a glorified camry with awd. if someone gave me a choice between the new camry vs c-class, i would take the camry.

both my GTI and R drive better than this c-class for certain. cant wait to get in my DSG GTI.. get rid of the planetary torque converter ikk

Old 01-19-2018, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
oh yah, had some time to kill yesterday between my meetings so i checked out the civicSi and CTR. didnt test drive or anything, just sat in both on the showroom floor since im not ready to buy yet.. as GAFIT mentioned the interior hard plastic is not stellar.. i mean it's based off a cheap car so cant expect too much.. but then again GTI/R are both based off a cheap car yet they are so luxurious on the inside in the higher trims (talking about vs CTR).

im sure honda put all the money they saved into the drivetrain and stuff that actually matter to YOUNG car guys that like to drive..? i thought wat it would be like to own this thing (Si coupe), parked on my driveway and all.. unless my kid asks me to get it, i just cant see it. its not special enough to me.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I thought it drove loads better than the GTI :hides:

Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Wood sell. Seems reasonable.
Originally Posted by mike410b
I thought it drove loads better than the GTI :hides:
Agree on both counts.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
nope. i drove the GTI this am and it was so much nicer, feels so planted where as the benz was like a wiggly mess on the rear over bigger bumps like a nissan. . mang i just hate regular AT’s now too.

there is a reason why the GTI is a GTI especially the autobahn. it is a nice little hatch that can.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Oh I meant CSi versus GTI.

I LOVED the Si I drove (other than the lack of audible cues regarding where I was at relative to the redline, same issue I've had with pretty much everything new that wasn't an FRS/BRZ)

Old 01-19-2018, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
yah i don’t know the civic Si as i didn’t test drive it. i was comparing vs the c-class i drove the last 2 days since AT and entry level lux car.

the issue with the civic Si is the car just didn’t feel special to me. i’m probably just past that stage and age of wanting cheap compacts. my kid wants a BRZ more so probably go that route if i decide to get a MT car for him to use. at least that way i will have some variety. but hard to let go my GTI for a frikken BRZ..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
alright, finally home and time to enjoy the weekend!

tomorrow im going to wash the GTI and weathertechs. such an ugly salty mess. i want to recoat the finish with some hydro to reinforce watever hydro-max is left on the paint.

another 4 more weeks and hope to be out of this cold ikky weather.

have a good weekend!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
alright, outside is hovering at 34F, just in time for washing my GTI.
now just need to wait for the sun to come out to give me light. if the roads dry up, will pull out my STI this weekend for a quick drive.

have a good saturday!

Old 01-20-2018, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
spoke to my kid about the car. he wants a BRZ more so than the Civic-Si even if the BRZ is used. i asked him why and he was all into that drifting stuff he likes to watch (not that he would do it on the BRZ.. not enough power anyway), wanted to attend auto-x events and all. i can understand wanting a RWD car..

per wat ash mentioned earlier, get a car where he's the primary driver, get driving lessons, and him and i (and maybe his little brother too) can all pitch in to mod the car little by little. i'll fund the car, teach them how to mod, they can buy the mods and put it together, kinda.

if they need to carry things, just borrow mom's car..lol i donno, just brainstorming at this stage. it still sucks that id need to sell my only DSG car i got to do this.. that is my biggest sacrifice i feel.. and dont want to sell my STI nor R. ill have to MT to work.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?