General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
alright, time to get started on washing my filthy GTI. i need to wash the GK’s glass too. couldn’t see out the side when running a quick errand this am due to salt!

Old 01-20-2018, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
There is so much salt on our roads here that a wash won't last long. The snow is melting & rain is expected in the next couple of days. After that 2 cars get washed.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
I need to get the Fit through a touchless wash.

But busy all day today working on the house.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
yah i washed the GTI. it’s going to get dirty too real quick but wanted to check on the paint and reinforce the sealant. the good is that there was no clear coat failure so i was very pleased with that. i found a 2mm tear on the clearbra on the bumper but that was the only damage. also cked the lip that i scraped coming out of the work garage, but very very minor scratch and can’t see from the front so no issue.

cleaned up the interior real nice too.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
also cked vitals on the GTI and GK. no issue.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
damn.. saw a new wrx just now. that new bumper and LED DRL’s look good..!

placed order with paintscratch for touch up paint in bottles for my R.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
ohhh had burrito for supper. sooooooooo good. . ate too much as usual.

time for nap

Old 01-20-2018, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
A burrito sounds great.

I painted my spare room & swapped out the outlets. Looks so much better & once it is actually furnished...it should be really excellent.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
nice job painting and swapping out the hardware! we finished moving my older kid's stuff into his new room the other day. he's very pleased. also cleaned up the kids play room as well. younger kid was pretty excited that he now has a lot more space to play with his toys now that his older brother's art stuff is out of the way.

i just warned him the more toys you pull out, the more toys you need to put away every night before bed.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Hey guys.

Ive heard decent things about the BRZ. One thing that sticks out though is it feels underpowered. *shrug*. You're a brave man to get such a nice car for his first car.

My first car at 17 was a 95 accord ex sedan....lasted 6 months due to my 'enjoyment' of street racing and drifting as well as my inexperience/overconfidence as a driver. Then got a 95 240sx which lasted me 8+ years after learning from my mistake. Think those 'survival' schools or autoX would've helped me not make dumb mistakes.

Had several friends lose/wreck their 1st cars too within <1 year, whether it was from joy riding, young driver mistakes, other drivers, etc.

Can't wrap my head around getting a $10k+ car for my kids first car. He needs to learn to appreciate the car/truck/suv, learn how to fix/maintain it, it'll get dinged/dented etc.
Guess my take is the 1st car will not last...but like I said my experience, YMMV.

Mike140b - good job on the spare room, now your car mod parts have a fancy room to get stored in . You replaced 2-prong outlets with newer 3-prong ones?

This weekend, washed the Miata, did some yard work, ordered shelf brackets from Etsy for a shelf I sanded and stained this weekend, looking for frames for some prints I ordered and today going to the swap meet to look forr other things and possibly visit the local quarry/stone yard to look at pavers/rocks for the back yard.

Hope you guys are having a good one.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
hey there shinjari - that's all good. makes the forums a fun place to be to have a wide variety of comments. i can tell you that my kid is not ur usual dumbarse punk. as you can probably tell, i am very strict and hate non disciplined kids. we dont need more garbage in this world.

while i provide a comfy household, he does not take anything for granted as i planted in my kids heads that NOTHING is free, and that im kicking them out of my house when they reach 22.. so be ready by then. my pops taught me the same way.. i was given a new car to use when i was a kid, no accidents, a few bogus 5-6mph over speeding tickets. left my parents place at 22 and never went back asking them for money. i turned out okay.. i thinks.

so the BRZ.. to me its pricey for wat it is.. i test drove one.. thing is slow and needs hopups to make it look right. but price? i dont care. wat i do care is letting go my GTI to park the thing on my driveway. there is no way in hell the brz is better than my lightly modded autobahn GTI from any angle... performance, interior, utility, appearance, etc. and there is no way in hell im going to give up my spot for some cheap used pos garbage.

my wife kinda hinted yesterday that she might consider taking the GTI.. that was a first. if im going to be trading the GK for the BRZ then im game. i still dont think it's going to be very realistic to let my kid use my STI.. as you noted, he just doesnt understand car ownership yet and will probably end up dinging it up and getting keyed cause so much faking garbage in the world already.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
nice job painting and swapping out the hardware! we finished moving my older kid's stuff into his new room the other day. he's very pleased. also cleaned up the kids play room as well. younger kid was pretty excited that he now has a lot more space to play with his toys now that his older brother's art stuff is out of the way.

i just warned him the more toys you pull out, the more toys you need to put away every night before bed.
That was always my parent's rule for me, everything had to be put away before bed. Now I'm the most orderly single dude in my 20's I've ever met haha.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Hey guys.

Ive heard decent things about the BRZ. One thing that sticks out though is it feels underpowered. *shrug*. You're a brave man to get such a nice car for his first car.

My first car at 17 was a 95 accord ex sedan....lasted 6 months due to my 'enjoyment' of street racing and drifting as well as my inexperience/overconfidence as a driver. Then got a 95 240sx which lasted me 8+ years after learning from my mistake. Think those 'survival' schools or autoX would've helped me not make dumb mistakes.

Had several friends lose/wreck their 1st cars too within <1 year, whether it was from joy riding, young driver mistakes, other drivers, etc.

Can't wrap my head around getting a $10k+ car for my kids first car. He needs to learn to appreciate the car/truck/suv, learn how to fix/maintain it, it'll get dinged/dented etc.
Guess my take is the 1st car will not last...but like I said my experience, YMMV.

Mike140b - good job on the spare room, now your car mod parts have a fancy room to get stored in . You replaced 2-prong outlets with newer 3-prong ones?

This weekend, washed the Miata, did some yard work, ordered shelf brackets from Etsy for a shelf I sanded and stained this weekend, looking for frames for some prints I ordered and today going to the swap meet to look forr other things and possibly visit the local quarry/stone yard to look at pavers/rocks for the back yard.

Hope you guys are having a good one.

The few times I've test driven the BRZ/FRS I didn't find it underpowered at all, but I think a lot of people drive them and compare them to SR20 240SX, RX7, Mustangs, WRX, etc., which isn't really fair. Its slower than the S2000 too...but its $10,000 cheaper, even before we factor in inflation. (S2000 33k MSRP in 2000 translates to 47k USD in 2017)

I do agree though, I'd have killed myself in something quick. Surprised I made it through even with my slow Jetta, Avenger & Galant combo. Quickest car I ever owned prior to the S2000 was a 1991 Civic Si with the stock D16A6 haha

The basement is the car part room these days haha, this room is going to my guest space/office/reading area. Outlets were already three prong, but I went with something that matches the walls & is just generally a bit cleaner visually.

New on top, old on bottom:

How big are the prints? Frames on big stuff seem pricey enough to bankrupt us all.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
hey mike the new wall look is brighter and i likes nice job!

haha, yah, its good to be organized. especially with tools i am very strict. i dont let them use any of my real tools, but say they take a knife from the house tool drawer, they better be absolutely sure they put it back when they are done using it. otherwise fines and other penalties associated with it if they lose it.

honestly the brz is slow enough that itll be a decent starter car for MT and RWD practice.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
i was checking out a couple of old shots of my '12 GE today lowered on swifts with those 17's i had.. must say, that was one good looking hatch.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
so bms has these exhaust tip decorations for my GTI.. makes the small chrome tips a lot bigger diameter to fill the valance cutout. might get that when it gets warmer. i dont want to swap exhaust as i like listening to tunes in the car and the car makes enough sound already for me.

examples.. i think it makes the tips look like it belongs.. $140 or something for the pair.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Is it not possible to let your son drive the GTI instead? You get to keep your DSG. Guess that would mean hes not driving manual though and I think most people should know how to drive a manual...I mean what would you do in the event of an emergency and the only car available was a manual trans? *reminds me I really need to teach the GF lol.

Mike410b the room looks good. funny how something subtle like the outlets can make that big of a difference.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- lol haha yah, my original plan was to keep the GTI in the family for the kids to use.. but since my older kid suddenly took interest in cars and MT RWD, im leaning towards giving him that opportunity. thus the brz i’m taking a look at..

Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
alright another big grindy monday and off to work i go in my 'was freshly washed now already dirty before i even took it out for a drive' GTI. oh well, thats life for the GTI. at least its got a fresh new coat of Hydro. good stuff.

got another busy work week starting with a big meeting this am.. and i remember my boss piling up another project to do last friday before heading home so it will be a super busy couple of months minimum. gotta work to play

have a good monday everyone! (sounds smartarse.. lol)

Old 01-22-2018, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
My first car was an '88 Mustang GT 5-speed (second car was a 1980 Prelude that I bought as a daily a bit later). By the time I went off to college, the Mustang had 3.73 gears, exhaust, intake, nitrous, traction bars, head work, cam, etc.

Did test & tune on Wednesday nights while in college and raced at some of the Ford/Spring Break/Street Car races on the weekends.

Somehow the car, my parents, and I survived High School, College, and drag racing.

My son is only 7 now. No idea what his automotive future will be, but I'll support it either way.

Last edited by GAFIT; 01-22-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
sounds good GAFIT. i too, especially since my kid wants to participate and have taken interest, i want to support him and have their generation keep the car hobby going for all of us.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?