General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey shinjari- amazon also thinks im an arse for reviewing products that suck and blocked me out. haha

amazon is going down the drain to shits. its a matter of time. it cant tell between a real purchase with real reviews vs a bunch of fake reviews for loser chinese vendors making up false good reviews by themselves. amazon should be investigated for keeping fraudulent reviews that promote sales.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think it's an accident. My very small insight into the other end of Amazon tells me that vendors can manipulate the system with the right per$ua$ion.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Awww man! That sucks Kenchan! Did they at least tell you which review it was or why? Or just the "you broke our rules of conduct" bs?

Speaking of oil change, if you guys use Mobil1 syntehtic they are doing up to $17 mail in rebate with purchase of 5 quarts + filter. If you have Autozone in your neck of the woods too...they are doing a sale on 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic + filter for $29.99....so I'm no math major...just an engineer....but $29.99 - $17....$12.99 for a synthetic oil change yes please =). Can do up to (2) rebates per household.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions

Last edited by shinjari; 03-14-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks shinjari! Great timing. My Lincoln needs an oil change. Usually run the Mobil 1 extended life in it, but for $13 it and I can get over it! This is close enough.

That really is a phenomenal deal!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
I just grabbed that pic from autozones website, but it does seem like they limit which types you can pick from. Maybe best to just go and see what the deal is on. I mean the coupon says "Synthetic Motor oil" which is rather generic.

As for the rebate I'm sure it applies to other more specific types of oil like your extended life since it does simply say "ANY Mobil 1 synthetic oil" on Mobil 1's website.

I plan to get my (2) for Elantra and the Civic (barely at the 40% oil life after 6 months of ownership lol).

Old 03-14-2018, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
I need to change the oil in the AP1 this spring.

I have zero desire to try to get the thing in the air & spend any time underneath it.

Ugh.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b

I have zero desire to try to get the thing in the air & spend any time underneath it.

Ugh.
Think of it as bonding time.

I'm probably weird, but I don't mind my garage time. Refreshing after sitting at a computer to do something more tactile.

Guessing that you need a few boards to get that thing on ramps? Or do you have a super slim jack?

Old 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
I just hate working on anything involving oil. Makes a mess every damn time.

That & I loathe being underneath a car. Suspension work I can deal with all day long. Tedious interior work, nbd. Engine bay stuff that isn't messy? Done deal.

On the ground, under a car & oil? narp.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
I washed my GTI yesterday & man it is looking good. Felt guilty so I washed my wife's dirty MINI. Clean cars FTW. Well this morning there is snow on everything. It should melt away by this afternoon, but heck I'm tired of this winter.

I have 2 jugs of Mobil 1 0w40 under the work bench, might as well add 2 more. A guy can't have too much oil can he?

Oil changes are fun for me. Car up on ramps drain the oil slap a filter on & done in 45 minutes or so. The Miata is a royal pain in the arse to do. The filter requires the removal of the RF tire so I can reach it??? Great design there.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Honda's are pretty forgiving and I've yet to make a mess. The miata is another story....that filter is between the header and the block and I somehow have to snake my arm in there without burning myself if the motor is warm. Even when the motor is cool it's still a pain in the ass to get to. I have seen people do a oil filter relocation...that remove the front right wheel to gain slightly easier access. Its a joke.

My dad's BMW's were stupid easy since they put the filter in a canister accessible at the top of the engine bay. Remove the cap...take out filter...put in new filter....replace cap. Done.

I remember dropping the oilpan on my S14 ages ago since it was leaking. My shoulders and forearms were dying from being under the car lol.

I suppose I should look into ramps....would make it super easy, but I just lift it with my floor jack and support it.

Last edited by shinjari; 03-14-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I think I've just been lucky. Have mostly had domestics and Honda's. All have been easy. The Fit is maybe the easiest of them all since no undertray to deal with.

My Superduty was maybe the toughest just because of the canister filter and 15 quarts of oil. That's a LOT of oil to have to deal with. Many oil change pans don't even hold that much.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I don't think it's an accident. My very small insight into the other end of Amazon tells me that vendors can manipulate the system with the right per$ua$ion.
is that right... dogdamn faking racists at amazon.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Awww man! That sucks Kenchan! Did they at least tell you which review it was or why? Or just the "you broke our rules of conduct" bs?

Speaking of oil change, if you guys use Mobil1 syntehtic they are doing up to $17 mail in rebate with purchase of 5 quarts + filter. If you have Autozone in your neck of the woods too...they are doing a sale on 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic + filter for $29.99....so I'm no math major...just an engineer....but $29.99 - $17....$12.99 for a synthetic oil change yes please =). Can do up to (2) rebates per household.
yah, sucks but then its not my loss. i find myself trying things anyway even if the reviews are pretty bad on amazon cause there are just too many fake reviews there.

wow that's a super deal on the oil! great find.

unfortunately i already bought my STI's oil the other week and i already have a couple of filters. maybe i can send in for the rebate.. not sure.

Thanks shinjari! Great timing. My Lincoln needs an oil change. Usually run the Mobil 1 extended life in it, but for $13 it and I can get over it! This is close enough.

That really is a phenomenal deal!
i need to buy one quart for the GK.. i have like 3 qts left from previous changes. how the GK is treating me like shit, i dont care. im going to mix up the oils and it can eat it. haha

Ugh.
i thought you were going to swap wheels to summers in a little bit? can you do it then? at that height you probably need to raise it in 2 steps, huh? can you use ramps? i have RaceRamps which can get some pretty low cars up.

I just hate working on anything involving oil. Makes a mess every damn time.

That & I loathe being underneath a car. Suspension work I can deal with all day long. Tedious interior work, nbd. Engine bay stuff that isn't messy? Done deal.

On the ground, under a car & oil? narp.
huh.. i dont really mind being under the car. ive actually taken a nap under the car. haha was a while ago, i was so tired i just fell asleep.

Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I washed my GTI yesterday & man it is looking good. Felt guilty so I washed my wife's dirty MINI. Clean cars FTW. Well this morning there is snow on everything. It should melt away by this afternoon, but heck I'm tired of this winter.

I have 2 jugs of Mobil 1 0w40 under the work bench, might as well add 2 more. A guy can't have too much oil can he?

Oil changes are fun for me. Car up on ramps drain the oil slap a filter on & done in 45 minutes or so. The Miata is a royal pain in the arse to do. The filter requires the removal of the RF tire so I can reach it??? Great design there.
good thing you dont need to head out in your freshly washed cars.

huh.. that does suck that you'd have to remove your tire just to do an oil change. i wonder how places like jiffylube would do the change.. lol

Originally Posted by shinjari
My dad's BMW's were stupid easy since they put the filter in a canister accessible at the top of the engine bay. Remove the cap...take out filter...put in new filter....replace cap. Done.

I suppose I should look into ramps....would make it super easy, but I just lift it with my floor jack and support it.
yah, my Golfs are super easy too. they too have the filter accessible from the top and there is no mess as it has this bar inside the filter you can just let the oil drip down that and carefully flip it over. no drips no mess.

with earthquakes in your area, i think ramps would be safer? not sure.

in j-land they slide their wheels under the car just in case the car falls of the jackstands during an earthquake and you dont get crushed.

I think I've just been lucky. Have mostly had domestics and Honda's. All have been easy. The Fit is maybe the easiest of them all since no undertray to deal with.

My Superduty was maybe the toughest just because of the canister filter and 15 quarts of oil. That's a LOT of oil to have to deal with. Many oil change pans don't even hold that much.
wow 15 quarts..

Old 03-14-2018, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
alright, worked on my R a little bit. first i painted the gas pedal adapter i made black to get the eye sore white hidden away. now looks 10x better. if you guys recall, the Golf's gas pedal position is very awkward vs the brake pedal which makes it nearly impossible to heel and toe consistently. so i made an adapter under the Sparco pedal cover to bring the pedal closer to me to better match forward/aft position with the brake pedal so even under light braking i can heel and toe.

then cleaned up the weathertechs and swapped with the factory carpet floor mat.

then worked on the sideskirt diffusers to replace one of the rusted bolts with an aluminum rivet per side. the undercarriage isn't too dirty but can use a good wash. im thinking about wash it later today. just need to makes ure to wipe down the bare metal parts afterwards with a light coat of WD40 before placing her back in the garage.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i thought you were going to swap wheels to summers in a little bit? can you do it then? at that height you probably need to raise it in 2 steps, huh? can you use ramps? i have RaceRamps which can get some pretty low cars up.
RaceRamps are so pricey! I'm going to toss the Advans back out when the car comes out of storage, but I just do that with the car on a jack, I'll never get under a car without jackstands under it. Those are just inconvenient.

Originally Posted by kenchan
huh.. i dont really mind being under the car. ive actually taken a nap under the car. haha was a while ago, i was so tired i just fell asleep.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
RaceRamps are so pricey! I'm going to toss the Advans back out when the car comes out of storage, but I just do that with the car on a jack, I'll never get under a car without jackstands under it. Those are just inconvenient.

RaceRamps are good stuff though.. considering its size it's very light weight and does not slip at all while getting on the ramps.

..and haha!

now waiting for my wife to head out to her client's place so that i can back out my R and put her on ramps and wash the undercarriage using my sprinkler.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
alright, spent a good 1.5hrs washing and cleaning the R's undercarriage.

the good: was pretty clean to start with, the sprinkler blasted rest of the salty crap off.
the bad: none.

and used my blower to dry as much water as possible, wiped down the subframe with a towel. now running a fan in the garage to completely dry. im real happy this step is done. now i just need to do the oil change in the next 20 days and enjoy the car.

and get me them 19" CI-R's by fall.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member
dogdamn.. my day off yesterday went by in a flash. back in the office today.. got one big meeting mid-day and hopefully smooth sailing afterwards. i doubt the smooth sailing part.

but at least tonight i dont have anything planned for the evening besides relaxing.
no house chores, no nothing. just relax, stream a movie or something and done.

have a great thursday everyone!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
found my parking spot open at the office.
but my backup was taken by some bonehead stock accord.

the hell mang.. who cares about a accord. it’s not even the newest one and even the new one isn’t special in any way in stock form.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Could be the owner of that Accord cares?? My dad never drove any interesting cars, but man did he ever care about them.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
lol Kenchan thinking he owns public parking spots....thats adorable

Rain rain rain here in San Diego this morning. Glad i washed/waxed my car on Sunday....rain is just beading right off so thats cool.

(4) of my video cards should arrive today. Hopefully fedex just leaves them on the otherside of my fence and out of reach. Doesnt mention signature required.

Probably go buy oil today or tomorrow from Autozone. I'll let you guys know if the extended performance qualified for the $30 deal.

Been considering buying a table saw considering the amount of wood work I've been doing lately or have planned. The miter and circular saw just isnt enough sometimes.

Have a good one guys and gals.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?