General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
there's a fiat dealer in another state that has the abarth that i want.. MT with the exact options i want and decals, etc. im willing to fly out there and drive the car back if i had a spot to park the car.

i just cant justify selling my GTI for an abarth.. and my wife would destroy my GTI if she drove it.. i mean the GK's wheels are curbed, bottom of front bumper scraped, etc. etc. wtf mang..

Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 9exponent

Mine is a manual.

Understand that I am from the camp of those that would prefer to drive a slow car fast, and Honda’s excellence in stick shifts compensates a lot for the horsepower deficit, to me. I don’t know if I would see things differently if I could afford Grand Touring Injections every month
thats cool. people miss out SO MUCH when they buy these cars in AT. i havent tried the GK in MT but im pretty certain is a fun car to drive. the GK is considerably faster than the GE plus u got the 6MT (GE's were only 5MT).. im sure you're having a blast.

now if Honda wouldve done a better job with the overall quality of my GK i wouldve been so much happier. they really dropped the ball on my ride.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
thats cool. people miss out SO MUCH when they buy these cars in AT. i havent tried the GK in MT but im pretty certain is a fun car to drive. the GK is considerably faster than the GE plus u got the 6MT (GE's were only 5MT).. im sure you're having a blast.

now if Honda wouldve done a better job with the overall quality of my GK i wouldve been so much happier. they really dropped the ball on my ride.
Yeah, auto / cvt versions of all generations of Fits are severely lacking; I don’t even need to know what the numbers say. Small N/A cars still need a stick to be fun.

My buddy from work has a 500 Abarth, and it is stupidly fun to drive! He had to replace the turbo at 13K, but that could just be a singular incident. It would be something I’d consider, if I didn’t need the better estimated reliability, and occasional extra space, of the Fit.

As a random thought, did you ever look at the Fiesta ST? That car greatly appeals to me...

Old 03-24-2018, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
completely agree about the MT/AT difference. i had a GE AT while owning the MT and while they looked pretty similar they were NIGHT & DAY different in how they drove and how fun they were. hell, my GTI is a dual clutch AT and it is extremely boring to drive vs my MT Golf-R even though they are pretty similar cars. but for the commute (and for the sake of my bad left ankle) i learned to accept AT for A to B transportation.

yah, abarths were never really known for reliability so that is a risk im willing to take. lol

actually i was very close to buying the Focus RS. ford cant seem to fix the engine issues they've had since the beginning.. and they're already ditching the RS after this model year. ford is a truck company, they can care less about their sedans and hatches especially that mustang they hate making but decided to do it for their fan base using the cheapest materials and assembly methods they could afford. have you seen how horribly they are assembled up close? it is a disgrace! makes my GK look 'okay'. lol

Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Yes about the RS, because another co-worker has one. He had his mismatched head gasket fixed last Thursday!

Besides the recall, I perceived the RS to be better assembled than the Abarth, though. I am surprised you see the latter as appreciably different, if I am understanding you. The RS (or current Mustang) didn’t strike me as exceptionally terrible, but as I’ve alluded to, I’ve come from lower-spec autos.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
while i was thinking about getting my wife a impreza 5 door next, i should probably look for a mini SUV.. something taller that she wont scrape the front bumper and taller sidewall tires.. like if subaru, get the forester or even consider that new professional grade terrain i drove earlier in the week as a rental. i look back and im thinking now that the car was actually pretty good for A to B transportation.

http://media-dmg.assets-cdk.com/webs...0-1613x906.jpg

Old 03-24-2018, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 9exponent
Yes about the RS, because another co-worker has one. He had his mismatched head gasket fixed last Thursday!

Besides the recall, I perceived the RS to be better assembled than the Abarth, though. I am surprised you see the latter as appreciably different, if I am understanding you. The RS (or current Mustang) didn’t strike me as exceptionally terrible, but as I’ve alluded to, I’ve come from lower-spec autos.
yah, head gasket is an easy fix but something about the block cracking between the cylinders. anyway RS is off my want list so no longer interested.

oh no, im not comparing the RS to the abarth, no way. the RS is far better car than an abarth can ever be no doubt there. the RS is also better assembled than the mustang. i chose to go the sleeper Golf-R over the RS since i already have the current gen STI. the abarth is just an extra toy i want to have for myself..

Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
if i had even more space id have a MINI in my lineup too.. while im a R53 fan, if i was to get one today, id be the JCW F56 with these wheels..

http://www.lohen.co.uk/images/blog/f...ning-guide.jpg

http://cdn.bimmertoday.de/wp-content...port-UK-18.jpg

Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
looks to be a dry morning. pulling out my STI in a bit

have a good sunday everyone!

Old 03-25-2018, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Retrieving the S2000 in a few hours.

Deeply stressful that some issue could arise.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
GL on the pickup mike!

got back from my drive, had a blast in the STI. got gas on the way home, cleaned it up a little when i got home.

then cleaned up the GTI's engine bay while checking the vitals. cant wait for all the salt to go away so that i can do a thorough wash.. engine bay AND undercarriage. i saw zero rust in the GTI's engine bay, a far contrast from my GK which looks like a 10yr old rusted POS under there only after 3 winters. my GD and GE did not rust so bad!

Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Your reports of GK problems are filling me with anxiety! I inspected mine, and it looks good so far. Perhaps I should thank rust-free Colorado for that pass.

You don’t think the Mini would overlap with some of the other cars in your garage? Any room for a Grand touring car or roadster?

Old 03-25-2018, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
you might want to apply some motor oil around the engine mounts, etc where its very prone to rust very quickly on the GK along with all brackets. painted parts dont matter, it starts rusting under the paint and starts flaking off. even my battery bracket is rusting.

as for the MINI, considering i like hatches the theme would be basically hatchbacks of all sorts.. that's IF i had any more parking space which i dont have. my Golf-R is my grand touring car.

roadster.. i was thinking about getting a new miata at some point, but it's just too slow for my area where 95% of the roads are straight. so no roadsters for me for the time being. plus i just got done with 2 RWD cars, im all for AWD going forward.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
oh wait, colorado dont use salt do they? clear bra for bumper and hood is a good idea in this case to prevent chips from sand they pour in the winter.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
I just looked at a Fiesta ST. I like those cars a lot.

We're threatening to sticker our cars with "Hatch Life." We have 3 here. Just need to trade the Lincoln in on a hatch and we'll have all hatches!

Old 03-25-2018, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
yah, the ST is pretty cool.

lol.. im all for hatch life mang. i just luv the shape. before i use to like coupes too, but coupes these days are just too damn big (minus M2). hatches are still pretty small and fun to drive.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
you might want to apply some motor oil around the engine mounts, etc where its very prone to rust very quickly on the GK along with all brackets. painted parts dont matter, it starts rusting under the paint and starts flaking off. even my battery bracket is rusting.

as for the MINI, considering i like hatches the theme would be basically hatchbacks of all sorts.. that's IF i had any more parking space which i dont have. my Golf-R is my grand touring car.

roadster.. i was thinking about getting a new miata at some point, but it's just too slow for my area where 95% of the roads are straight. so no roadsters for me for the time being. plus i just got done with 2 RWD cars, im all for AWD going forward.
Thanks for the advice, I will give the oiling a shot!

I was just curious about the GTs and roadsters. Some people are purists about RWD and such, but I have always been partial to the affordable-yet-practical compromise segment. FIAT, MINI, and VW have all always scared me away with their reputation for poor reliability. This is despite of examples from each brand proving extremely fun to drive. I guess I need to either get over the Miata’s soft top, or suck it up and give them a shot. The only other option would be an 86, which wasn’t available in my price range (in good condition).

I suppose I have time to mull over the next car purchase...

Old 03-25-2018, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
i owned RWD for over a decade and i thought they were fun to drive. and i really liked the straggered tire setup cause it just looked so damn sweet.

but for me, RWD is a problem because i live in a snow belt state and even during the summer the roads are still cold when i head out for my early morning drives. i end up spinning the tires more and after a while it got old. i want full traction, full power when i want it.

thus i moved to AWD cars. and AWD these days are nothing like the understeering cars of yesteryear. like my Golf-R can over steer while accelerating through a turn if i wanted to, but the difference is i am totally in control. with RWD, i had to adjust throttle to actively be in control while compensating for drive by wire latency. i just got tired of it.

i too shyed away from VW's for the longest time, but considering how unreliable hondas and nissans are these days, it made no difference to me. hell, the amount of FUN i was missing out, it was worth the risk. and i have no regrets getting my 2 Golfs.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
wait GAFIT.. thought you were going to buy the CTR? wat happened to that? why suddenly the ST, cause ford?

Old 03-25-2018, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I never know what I do till I do it.

I could use a truck more than the CTR or FiST, but I too love hatches!

My only issue with the CTR is I'm not sure I can bring myself to pay over sticker for anything. I'm thinking if I give it 6 months to a year, the CTR's will be selling at sticker.

The FiST just came up because our Ford dealer ended up with a leftover new 2017 built just the way I'd want it. Every option except Recaro's.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?