General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sucks but yah, i think all paints are soft these days. kinda late now, but i really recommend clearbra as it will usually save your paint from most chips and scratches.. my GTI has ample impact discoloration on the clearbra, but i can remove it and reapply when its time. if u get the xpel ultimate it will self heal in the sun. i used that on my STI. it's pretty cool.

for your deeper scratches i recommend spot bondo and sanding to make the plaint flat prior to the applique. otherwise the imperfection will just show through. with a matte black applique maybe not as much but that little extra effort spent will go a long way.

huh, have fun in SF! many electric cars.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
alright back home vac'ed my music room, had icecream, and now relaxing with a glass of pop in my hand. saw a couple of robins around my house so had my kid clip the spikes back on my GTI's side mirrors.

happy to report, no bird shit since putting it on last weekend? weekend before? my GK is another story..

Old 06-04-2018, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
We talked about this when I first got the car. I wanted the whole clear bra thing since day 1...with all the house projects and random CC debts I couldn't get approval for "some clear plastic".

Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Clear bra's are sooo overpriced, but man I'd like to do one someday.

Maybe on my next new car. Maybe get a Mustang and put one on it just to torture kenchan. LOL

Old 06-04-2018, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- yah, i remember dat.

gafit- really? i only paid like 150? 175? to do my Golf-R's bumper. bout the film online and installed it myself. the GTI and STI i had my tint guy do it on the same day he did the tint. was only like $1k for the f1 pinacle and xpel for each car

Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I considered doing myself...civic front end is a little complicated haha.

No local shop would install a product I brought in. But yeah $800-1200 seemed about right for cost.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- haha. my tint guy was a little disappointed when i brought in my R for tint.. he said he could've at least sold me the precut xpel at a discount even if i installed it.

guess ill remember dat next time cause he can cut it right then and there. no waiting for UPS guy. i like dat.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
he complimented me for my work though, especially the part i did using a generic roll cause the pre-cut would only cover a portion of the chin. mine covers the entire front chin.

he asked if id be interested in installing clearbra at his shop on my free time.. and im like i have no free time mang.. lol

Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Thats pretty cool. Yeah maybe I need to just buy pieces here and there and install them myself.

Saw one of those newer GK Fit Sports....I like how they are actually 'sporty' looking. Have that rear lower difuser...some nice accent lines.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
amazon sells 3m rolls for pretty cheap. you can install them in pieces and still get good results. much better than not having any protection.

yah, i saw one the other day too. it reminded me of a nismo with mini cooper black wheels.. lol

Old 06-04-2018, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
I think I was also quoted in the $1200 range. Just didn't do it with the Lincoln since it has crazy low resale value regardless. Great thing with it is the Ford paint is durable. Nearing 60k miles and the front still looks darn good. Has about 4 marks total.

The VW front is destroyed already as is the rest of the car. Glad I didn't waste the money on it. Our 200k mile Fit looks better. Heck, so does the 28 yo original paint on my Mustang.

I really like the looks of the Fit Sport. Maybe not the wheels so much, but the body kit does wonders. Would be hard to buy one though since you lose most of the amenities. Honda just doesn't cater to the Sport Luxury crowd. The Germans have that down to a science.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member

Just so intricate.

Yeah just like manual trans....sport + luxury do not mix apparently. The masses just want a 'fancy' boring drive.

Had a friend literally say this today when discussing his attempts teaching his wife to drive manual and what to do when coming to a stop or shifting "Ugh, I have to focus too much on driving".

Really? Focus TOO much? There are too many people NOT focusing while driving.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
The multiple pieces may make it easier? Does look crazy! All looks easy except the one piece that does the bumper and lower chin area. I'd want a second set of hands for the one piece I think.

I often joke that I'm not very good at driving an automatic. I guess it's just because of experience with each, but I don't have to think at all when driving a manual. With the auto I have to watch the tach and pay extra attention when running through the mountains to make sure I don't miss a paddle shift. Guess I'm just old and was trained with the manual.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- the hardest piece for ur car's clearbra is the hood. yah, the biggest piece is the hardest as you have to slightly stretch it but not put in stretch marks.

the other narrow and angular pieces are actually quite easy to do.

the scariest thing about torque converter AT is how the car coasts and coasts and coasts after u let off the throttle. its like it's in neutral. lol the DSG on the VW is actually quite good in AT mode as it downshifts as you slow down regardless of u have your foot on the brake or not. but i MUCH prefer a manual.

honestly the last few wks the DSG on my GTI has been bothering me as my left ankle is completely pain free now and i rather be driving MT to work. AT is good for those super tired days but mang such a waste being behind a car and not driving MT!

so if i skip the DSG-R and get a MT, wat should i get? i want a fun little car to drive to work.. ill keep the STI and Golf-R so maybe a ND mx5? i was also thinking 500abarth if they ever release the 2018's..wtf taking them forever! or the jcw cooper-s..

if ford really fixed the RS, id consider it too but i think CTR would be a smarter choice. if black not so fugly. but im really done with these type of cars..

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

the scariest thing about torque converter AT is how the car coasts and coasts and coasts after u let off the throttle. its like it's in neutral. lol
That's dependent on the programming. Any sporty car stays locked up and will also downshift.

In my last car, I had it programmed to keep the torque converter locked which keeps it in gear. My Lincoln is programmed that way from the factory and also does auto downshifting when under braking. If in sport mode and driving hard, it's very aggressive. As in, it will rev match downshift to 5k plus rpm.

I think you have formed your opinion based on driving non-performance cars. The torque converter auto in the Mustang and Camaro shift FASTER than even the Porsche PDK.

Porsche PDK shifts Slower than 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Automatic - Motor Trend

https://carbuzz.com/news/gm-and-ford...-double-clutch

But, I'm with you. Still more fun driving a manual.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Would the Miata work for you for winter? If so, I think it would be fun.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Well from my understanding the 'coast coast coast' is for fuel efficiency.

CTR would be fun

Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
yah i only drive AT rentals (i’ve driven sporty rentals too) and GK and all of them were coasting like to no end. it just keeps going relying everything on the brakes to stop the car. dat is some scary shit for an MT driver! wat only brakes to slow down? use paddles and it still sucks cause not 100 percent in control, still relying on autoblip if it has it and all.

if i get the mx5 i would take the STI to work in the winter. my biggest concern is i don’t like the mx5’s appearance in stock form. it needs low and wheels. kinda messes up the balance.. defeats the purpose of buying the car. no?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Wanted to share my co-workers Civic.

He has BC Coils and Work wheels. I don't need it that low, but really like the end result of his drop, wheels and black vinyl on the roof. The red accent striping isnt bad either.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Wanted to share my co-workers Civic.

He has BC Coils and Work wheels. I don't need it that low, but really like the end result of his drop, wheels and black vinyl on the roof. The red accent striping isnt bad either.

I like the current Miata...so sexy. I'm not a fan of the 3rd gen...they went the wrong direction with that one.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?