General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dafaq is wrong with amazon right now? stupid dog faces popping up.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Their site is crashing due to prime day huh? Nice.

Yeah we were thinking of the wall units like they use in jland. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. However that just cools a large area...not specific rooms.

In order to do specific rooms we'd have to do ducting in the attic for upstairs with vents in the ceiling...and ducting in the crawl space for the 1st floor with vents in the floor.

We currently have one of those portable rolling units that you connect the adapter plate to the window to get 'fresh' air and exhaust warm air. Its in our bedroom haha. Sometimes I have to lug it downstairs for the dogs.

Last edited by shinjari; 07-16-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
ahh, portable solution sounds good.

yah, prime day but none of the stuff dey have i want. lol its like left over garbage mostly.

cheese burger and fries!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
giant cheezeburger waz good until like 1/2 way in.. oooph heartburn

now okay after antiacidz..

Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Hope you're feeling better.

Had carne asada quesadilla last night. Kid had bean/cheese/pollo asado burrito. GF had her tried and true....bean burrito lol.

Drive Miata to work today. I swear I have no idea how much gas this thing takes. Sometimes the pump stops at 7gals...sometimes 10.5...I call BS especially since I only get about 225miles after driving on E for a while. Weird there's no gas light.

Last edited by shinjari; 07-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
thanks shinjari. i think i got a stomach bug maybe not feeling well today. still managed to check the tires on da GK this am as my wife said she heard a pop while backing into the driveway. psi was okay, lifted each corner to inspect da tires .. no puncture. hummmm

sounds good on da burrito!

not sure watz up with da fuel gauge on ur miata.. my old G use to have a hard time filling to full after EPA changes something on the auto-off at the pump. it would not fuel to full.. was annoying cause mpg was 15-19 on dat car with a 18?19? gallon tank.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
dogdamn.. missed out on free high end steak house lunch due to ikky feeling. lol still feeling ill..

maybe next time. hope to cure myself asap cause tomorrow dinner at j restaurant.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
alright, finally home did a few house chores and had some icecream and pepsi zero to ensure total destruction of ill feeling.
now i actually feel pretty good. lol

drive home was alright for a change, traffic flow was just right.. no obnoxious garbage getting in my way too long or ric0r trying to fly by me like yesterday.

shishiamo tonight.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
My Mom and I got into an argument about education spending tonight. She's left wing and I'm right wing (well, I'm technically laissez faire). We both agree that education is one of the primary goals of government, but where we disagree is in politics. She's Democrat and I'm a staunch believer that the entire two party system is the problem. My belief is that both parties are to blame for everything. She believes that the US lack of education is the fault of republicans.

So, out of curiosity I just tried to look up state education spending vs graduation vs going into college rates. I figured I would take that data and then look at whether the state was basically democrat or republican to see which does better.

What an absolute MESS. The data shows me nothing! Some of the states that spend the least have the highest graduation rates (NC, TN, etc have high graduation while spending little. NY has crazy high spending with low graduation) and some that spend the most suck. Same is true with college entrance.

I'm steadfast in my belief that it's not political. Starting to think it's cultural based on location.

What's everyone else's thoughts? I think too much emphasis is placed on political things personally. I think different regions are just...different.

Last edited by GAFIT; 07-17-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
i don’t think too far ahead on my kids education. if they want to pursue something dat bad they would know where to go (international included) and at wat cost. i’ll support da basics but they need to put in da effort of paying for their education too if its going to cost a lot. dey don’t even know wat dey want to get into yet.

i dont know much about politics and education but i can tell u dat da local schools are raising softy arse pansies fosho.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
What's everyone else's thoughts? I think too much emphasis is placed on political things personally. I think different regions are just...different.
Politics are inherently involved as there is a "Secretary of Education" appointed by a publicly elected* (sort of, the electoral college waters that down a bit) leader.

Our current SoE believes public schools are the issue & wants more God in the classroom (Christian, separation of church & state be damned), more charter schools & private schools (bad for teachers, bad for students as they lead to less qualified, more inexperienced teachers (source: I have family members who are teachers (and exceptionally overqualified)), wants school vouchers (inefficient & expensive), etc.

Is there a home component? Yes, no doubt.

Is it cultural by region? No, I don't think so. If you can afford to go to school, in the vast majority of cases, you will graduate. If you have to work to support your family/yourself, you are much less likely to do so; even if you'd like to go to school.

Also, graduating high school doesn't mean you've received a well-rounded education. Arts, music, home economics and vocational courses are all being cut, math & science are being prioritized over all other subjects, etc. A great state (which the US has always claimed it is) needs to foster & embrace culture, to make it widely accessible, etc.

Classes are also too big, in a class of thirty, two or three people falling behind can hold back the other 27-28 kids, there have to be solutions to let the advanced kids succeed while also not letting the kids who need more effort fall by the wayside.

*steps down from soapbox*

TL;DR: Politics are part of it, home situation is part of it. More money isn't the solution but smarter spending & broader focuses are.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
its true how da current education system cut out arts and music budget.

dey don’t even have a full school year for music and arts classes. kinda sad but most kids dese days don’t have the discipline or will power to learn music or play an instrument. all dey want to do is play internets and games.

so if u have an artistic kid i’d say cherish it and support it.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
smarter spending & broader focuses are.
I did read all of it and pretty much agree with you, but I think your last point seems to be...the most on point.

I was hoping to see some kind of relation between spending and college entrance rates, but I don't see one. Some states spend literally three times per student more than others and have a worse percent of students entering college after high school.

Of all the things being cut, I hate to see vocational training being eliminated. Regardless of the state a large portion of kids don't go to college. I'd like to think those kids are leaving high school with some means of gainful employment or at least a direction to head.

Off my soap box now as well

The topic came up because I spent the weekend gathering the things on my son's school supplies list. After buying reams of paper, bundles of glue sticks, packs of dry erase markers, etc I'm left wondering what the heck they do with all this stuff? Is there someone at the school selling this junk to an office supply place? I joke, but the list gets longer every year. I'm totally fine if it's for the kids, but shouldn't the school buy the office supplies? Surely they could get a better deal by buying in bulk instead of all the parents buying this stuff. I'd rather hand them $50 and let them use buying power to their advantage.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
one big meeting in da pm and done for da day.

have a good wednesday everyone!

Old 07-18-2018, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
so i heard most kids today like to travel abroad after high school or after college.

okay by me if dere is a plan but dere is a time limit at my hauz. after 22 i’m kicking u out.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
On a lighter subject...

Anyone get any good Prime day deals?

We picked up a few things (cat treats, Chemical Guys wash mit and a few MF towels, a new Nerf gun for epic father/son battles, etc), but didn't get anything big.

Neither of us thought the deals were that spectacular this year.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sokay by me if dere is a plan but dere is a time limit at my hauz. after 22 i’m kicking u out.
LOL. My wife's Mom told her kids that she would take them anywhere they wanted to go when they graduate from college. She put the carrot further out than just high school.

My wife figured that offer expired a decade ago, but her Mom is taking her to Italy in September.

I think I got a cake when I graduated college and a pat on the back when I got my Masters. Can't complain since they paid for a chunk of my undergraduate degree. I had a scholarship the first couple of years and worked while going to school for the next 4 years, but they still helped a whole bunch.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
yah nothing for me from prime.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
its true how da current education system cut out arts and music budget.

dey don’t even have a full school year for music and arts classes. kinda sad but most kids dese days don’t have the discipline or will power to learn music or play an instrument. all dey want to do is play internets and games.

so if u have an artistic kid i’d say cherish it and support it.
I think it is the opportunity more than anything else, less & less parents played instruments growing up, so they don't pass along any sort of latent interest in playing one to their kids. A kid born in 2000 is just as talented/disciplined as a kid born in 1955, they just aren't given a lot of the same chances.

I did read all of it and pretty much agree with you, but I think your last point seems to be...the most on point.

I was hoping to see some kind of relation between spending and college entrance rates, but I don't see one. Some states spend literally three times per student more than others and have a worse percent of students entering college after high school.

Of all the things being cut, I hate to see vocational training being eliminated. Regardless of the state a large portion of kids don't go to college. I'd like to think those kids are leaving high school with some means of gainful employment or at least a direction to head.

Off my soap box now as well

The topic came up because I spent the weekend gathering the things on my son's school supplies list. After buying reams of paper, bundles of glue sticks, packs of dry erase markers, etc I'm left wondering what the heck they do with all this stuff? Is there someone at the school selling this junk to an office supply place? I joke, but the list gets longer every year. I'm totally fine if it's for the kids, but shouldn't the school buy the office supplies? Surely they could get a better deal by buying in bulk instead of all the parents buying this stuff. I'd rather hand them $50 and let them use buying power to their advantage.
I'm a loyal follower of the rule to always wait a week before buying school supplies. You never know what is just there for formality vs what is actually needed.

Schools are tough, there's no magic bullet, but it is the most important thing a society has. A good school system will improve every single other thing about the place.

so i heard most kids today like to travel abroad after high school or after college.
One of my regrets from undergrad is not taking a year abroad.

On a lighter subject...

Anyone get any good Prime day deals?
Nothing for me. I bought something there with some site credit last week (a 45 year old first (only) edition book about architecture, I had a feeling it'd be tough to find anywhere else); but I'm trying to cut Amazon/Whole Foods/Jeff Bezos' influence out of my life.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
just listen to john. he says we don’t need no education.

lol

i was ready to go to work when i was in high school. started a part time company while in college, even had a guy work for me. den real business from dere. traveling abroad? i did a whole bunch for work.. international travel. i hated it. lol but it came with my job. didn’t flimsy out, just kept at it. i’m doing okay, no super ceritfications or masters or phd

my parents didn’t play instruments. i started piano cause i saw people play and i thought it was cool. kids today not getting da opportunity is just a bunch of pansy BS. u got youtube and all da young talent out dere. if one wanted to start, he she could start like me any time. plus instruments can be had cheap dese days.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?