General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
I don't like spinning in a front drive, but welcome it in a rear drive.

The systems in the new M5 and E63 would be my idea of perfection. They will allow you to roast the rear tires if you want or have it use the AWD system to it's advantage for a strong launch. That's exactly what I would want.

I'm still childish at times so I like some wheel spin. My Lincoln lets me down in that regard. Has too much traction to be playful. That being said, I'd rather have traction than spinning front tires. All and all, I don't really even like front wheel drive based cars even if they have AWD. Too front heavy. The front heavy feel just isn't my taste.

Last edited by GAFIT; 07-23-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt you'll be spinning tires that often in a 1.5T with LSD unless you're really pushing hard on your commute.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I'd opt for the SI...for a 'beater'...

Add a tune to it and it'll help increase power and the already impressive MPG as well.

Regarding aftermarket wheels...when you guys replace your OEMs do you keep the OEMs? Or sell? I have plans to keep the civic forever...but as we all know things happen. I figure a resale value is better with OEM wheels vs aftermarket wheels. But OEM's right now will basically offset the cost of the aftermarkets I'm looking at.

Speaking of tune...my ktuner arrives today.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have never sold a set of OEM wheels. Makes sense to financially, but I keep every factory item that I take off of a car and they go back to stock when I trade them in. Then I sell the aftermarket stuff if it's vehicle specific.

I'm weird though...I like to have the OEM wheels and tires as beaters also. Like leaving car at airport...stock wheels. Going on a long trip out of state...stock wheels. You get the idea.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dang everyone wants a si here? no luv for wrx or ts? lol.

going to test drive the wrx maybe Wed. will see.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Warning....joke in 3, 2, 1...

We are just looking after your Son. Hate to see him start vaping at such an early age.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Agree with GAFIT...

WRX just seems bulky and plain to me. I see BRZ/FRS everywhere...*shrug SI's not so much.

Last edited by shinjari; 07-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
+3 LOL

My MINI with a LSD didn't spin its wheels much & that was with the traction nanny off. My GTI will turn the tires to smoke if I have the traction nanny off. With it on it may spin them for one rotation & that is it.

Ken- correction it is your right foot that serves as traction control. Dyslexia again strikes.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Tender JR now hooked to the Fit. I keep a box fan running in the garage and it was plugged into the same outlet. Also stopped working. Picked up another one of those also.

I'm now thinking that we got zapped by lightning. Had a serious boom yesterday that had the lights flicker and the lightning lit up the house.

To get that circuit working again I had to reset an outlet on the outside of the garage. I'm thinking that the tender and fan both got zapped.

Both replaced and no circuits popping. Think all is well again

I'm going to shop for one of those CTEK chargers. Have three vehicles on tenders. Would like to put a CTEK in service and keep the Jr as a back up.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
wheew, finally home.. so tired. busy as hell today at da office.. as usual.

Originally Posted by ashchuckton
ken- I have a short attention span. You change your mind like wind, from one day to the next. It's fun trying to keep up with you. Thanks for the fun.

Spent all day yesterday doing a deep cleaning & detail of the GTI yesterday. Today it rains & I need to take my clean car out in it. Doh! ;-)
really? ive not changed my mind.. are u referring to da DSG? i still like it on a slow driving day when im tired and taking it easy. but once im 'on' da car to drive swiftly especially through stops, meh.. shifts are just too slow to go into 1st gear and annoys me.

i think u should take uber on days like dat!

ken- your left foot is the traction control switch. Use it. LOL.... I know that is hard to do. Seems mine doesn't work all the time.
left foot? really? i usually just use my right foot to control wheel spin.. but on dese turbo 4 bangers you dont get much room to adjust throttle input cause turbo pressure drops as soon as u let off da throttle... nothing like how i was able to control wheel spin on my NA v6 cars..

Originally Posted by GAFIT
I don't like spinning in a front drive, but welcome it in a rear drive.
right. i dont mind rear wheels spinning as much.. front wheel spins are yuk.. even with LSD on my GTI its got waaaay too much power.

Originally Posted by mike410b
I doubt you'll be spinning tires that often in a 1.5T with LSD unless you're really pushing hard on your commute.
yah civic si's arent even comparable to my GTI's acceleration so u might be right. i mean ive left civic si's in da dust at expressway entrance ramps.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Yeah I'd opt for the SI...for a 'beater'...

Add a tune to it and it'll help increase power and the already impressive MPG as well.

Regarding aftermarket wheels...when you guys replace your OEMs do you keep the OEMs? Or sell? I have plans to keep the civic forever...but as we all know things happen. I figure a resale value is better with OEM wheels vs aftermarket wheels. But OEM's right now will basically offset the cost of the aftermarkets I'm looking at.

Speaking of tune...my ktuner arrives today.
ktune sounds good, shinarji! keep us posted. yah, i suppose i can do a reflash too if Si. the ktuner is like cobb's accessport?

as for oem wheel i usually keep it till da day i sell the car. in fact, im deciding when i should swap my GTI's wheels back to stock and remove the piggyback and stuff. local kid can have it for super cheap.

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Warning....joke in 3, 2, 1...

We are just looking after your Son. Hate to see him start vaping at such an early age.
oh shit dat would totally suck mang.. lol but i donno, he's a serious runner (track) so i doubt he'd get into anything datz going to screw up his time. he is like da fastest 400yard dash runners in town, easily 'jogs' a mile in about 5min.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Agree with GAFIT...

WRX just seems bulky and plain to me. I see BRZ/FRS everywhere...*shrug SI's not so much.
waaaaaa.. so much hate to subaru's.

+3 LOL

My MINI with a LSD didn't spin its wheels much & that was with the traction nanny off. My GTI will turn the tires to smoke if I have the traction nanny off. With it on it may spin them for one rotation & that is it.

Ken- correction it is your right foot that serves as traction control. Dyslexia again strikes.
yah, right foot.. i was like huh? haha.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
alright so i stopped by da subie dealer on da way home and met up with my buddy's friend. he was cool, younger guy, and let me test drive the 18 wrx in lapis blue. everything was okay until i got in the street (40mph road) and immediately noticed HOW FAKING SLOW da throttle response is vs my STI. im like is dere an ECON mode turned on? and no, dere's no modes. just sluggish throttle response. it reminded me of how i hated my 370Z's throttle response.

due to dat, the heel and toe was sluggish too. horrible representation of wat a MT car should be for my son, i thought.. plus the appearance is okay but da front bumper's different from my STI's facia and looked so plasticy in person. shifter wasnt bad as it had the STI short shifter already installed.

i left da dealer scratching my head.. honestly my expectation was so much higher as i luv my STI for how sporty it is.. and fast throttle response is one of them.

i told him let me think about it some more before we talk price. he said he'd start 1500 below msrp.. i told him he'll need to do at least 1850 off msrp for me to be interested. he nodded. hummm... not wat i expected.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
btw, da type RA looked kickarse.. lol

Old 07-24-2018, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
alright another day at da office. i wonder if the cobb AP can rid the sluggish throttle response on da wrx. will do some research today. to me the civic si is such a compromise i’m not sure i’m going to like it as much long term. it’s okay for a starter car but mang..i honestly much rather be driving an abarth or cooper-s.

honda needz a coupe dat is a tad more committed yet not so crazy like da ctr.

wat do u guys think? i might go look at MINI’s.

have a good tuesday everyone!

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
A tuned WRX is going to be faster than a stock STI and probably not a great car for a 16-18 year old kid to be driving. Even the most responsible kid does dumb stuff in cars.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
maybe make a profile to turn da turbo off. lol

i’m not worried about da power but the throttle response at da moment.
thing was a dog in terms of eagerness to move. felt so sluggish.

the steering and pretty much everything else i liked.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Owners report HUGE improvements in throttle response and general driveability with the WRX once tuned.

A Cobb Accessport Makes a Subaru WRX a Better Daily Driver - The Drive

I agree with mike to a degree, but the flip side is that the worst drivers I know all grew up with POS slow cars. I had a 5.0 Mustang with a manual at 16. Did stupid stuff, but survived. I like to think I'm a better driver because of it. Still do stupid stuff with cars though. That hasn't changed

Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Kenchan - yeah the Ktuner is like the Cobb. I started to mess with it yesterday...didnt realize I needed a laptop, thought my desktop was sufficient. I dusted off my ancient netbook...will try to lock the Ktuner to the ECU later today. Then I can at least do the updates on my desktop, just need the laptop to lock the dongle to the ECU.

Oh wow, you're looking at STI's? I thought you were just looking at regular joe-schmo WRX's.

I think I've voiced this before, responsible kid doesnt automatically equal responsible/amazing driver. Driving comes with experience and good teaching. You should find out how the European driving tests are...from what I've heard those are extensive and thorough. Have to do night driving, wet weather driving etc.

Here in CA...anyone with a pulse and 2 eyes can get a freaking license.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
gafit sounds goooood on da cobb. will definitely need to do dat den.

shinjari- cool on da ktuner, hope u can get dat going later today. i’m not looking at another STI, i’m looking at a wrx right now. funny how u mention regular joe-schmuk wrx when u drive a regular joe civic. lol.

dis is something i would drive to work in and let my kids use when i’m not.
doing research it does tell me how advanced my GTI is though in dis segment and why it is da benchmark for fwd hatches. yah ctr is faster but GTI is very fast still and has the interior and tech to match. civics are still behind overall.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
civics are still behind overall.
I generally agree with you, but this just isn't true. The CTR wins the battle in EVERY measurable way.

The CTR actually beats the highest level Golf (R) and the highest level Impreza (STI) at everything that can be measured in an objective way.

It's faster around EVERY track, faster in a drag race, pulls more g's on a skid pad, etc.

Now, subjective is a different story and you're entitled to your opinion. Personally, I find the Golfs more comfortable and find the ergonomics to be better.

That being said, the CTR is certainly not behind. It's leading the pack at everything else.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
If you are going to track the car yep the CTR is the one. For the street pick what you like, the performance of the 3 listed are the same when driven sanely on the street. I'd pick the Golf R, because I like to be comfortable.

Pretty amazing how good cars have become over the years. We have HP & mileage. Life is good these days for a car guy.

Ken - The power of your STI has spoiled you. I do understand, it is hard to go a different direction.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 07-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?