General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work shinjari!

kenchan - window tint is such a hard thing for me. On the Lincoln, I didn't do my due diligence and inspect the film before install Had it tinted at a shop the Lincoln dealer uses and paid a lot of money to only end up with green window film Was NOT happy. It amazes me how even high end window films can have a color to them. Most are either green, blue, or brown.

For the VW, I went to three shops and looked over every film they offered. I'm sure I was a nuisance, but all three tint shops said they had a true colorless film. I showed all three of them why they were wrong! I honestly think all three of them were color blind. Finally found a place that uses Llumar about an hour away. Wen there and...bingo! Black film. VW looks absolutely perfect. About time to re-tint the Fit and it will go to that same shop for the same film. I think our VW was the least valuable car they have ever tinted with Llumar ceramic. The Fit will certainly bring it to a whole new low. LOL

Speaking of the Fit...we went to take it for a drive on Friday and found mold in the interior. We've had such a rainy year that the garage has been really damp. I even keep a bucket of damp rid in the Fit, but it wasn't enough. So, yesterday after our mountain drive, we went in DEEP on the Fit's interior. Pulled the seats out of it to clean under them and the undersides, saturated every inch of the interior with vinegar, wiped down all surfaces, vacuumed the heck out of it, treated all of the plastics with 303, and then let it sit open in the garage last night with a dehumidifier running on constant next to it.

It's fully dried now so the next step will be using our carpet steam cleaner and going over everything again. Will then leave it open to dry overnight with the dehumidifier again. Trying to figure out what I want to do with the garage going forward. I have a window A/C unit, and portable A/C unit, and a dehumidifier at my disposal. Problem is that my garage doesn't have a window or a hole, so not sure what to do.

On the bright side, it's going to be super clean in the end and I have new OEM carpeted mats to go in once this stage is done. Next step will be to pull out the headliner and have a shop re-do it with new material in dark charcoal to match the interior. Will dye all the plastics from the belt line up to match. Was planning on doing the interior after I did the mechanical work, but the mold issue bumped the interior up into first step.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah pinnacle is definitely my favorite tint. it’s a true gray scale hue. only problem is dat llumar certifies quality shops giving them like a 20 or 30mile radius to monopolize in their area so i’d need to drive quite far to find an alternate shop. da new guy i found is a Global certified shop and he deals with other brands but can’t do llumar as he’d compete with my tint guy.

mold sucks. are u able to rid the vinegar smell too? honestly i may have used something like kitchen lysol or even bleach based cleaner if able to rinse with water and shopvac afterwards. maybe you can get dessicants? i remember Griots selling dem at one point.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
We went with vinegar because I wanted to saturate the carpet and upholstery to get it deeper. I could see Lysol working if in liquid (not spray) form. Bleach would have me worried about discoloration.

Definitely smells like vinegar inside. I think the steam cleaner will help rid the vinegar smell, but mostly it will probably just take a bit of time. Thankfully I don't mind the smell of vinegar that much. I hate mold enough to live with whatever odor is needed to do the job.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ash- plastic oil pans arent anything new. they wont break unless u go off the road on a lowered ride and clip the curb or something. i have zero worries on my Golf-R. ECS tuning sells steel pans for like $85, stainless for a couple of hundred for the MK7's if that worries u so much. they also sell aluminum skid plates /lower shrouds.
Ken can you fill me in on what other cars use plastic oil pans? I'm not aware of any others. If they are not new when did they start doing that? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
The car companies that come to mind that use plastic oil pans are Ford, VAG, and BMW. I don't believe Honda, GM, or Toyota use plastic. Not sure about the rest.

With how many miles we drive our vehicles, oil pans usually end up getting hit by something eventually. Not sure why or when it happened, but the pan on my Lincoln, Mustang, and Fit all have scrape marks on them. Mustang one even has a small dent.

Not sure if those hits would have taken out a plastic pan or not.

Last edited by GAFIT; 08-26-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Nice work shinjari!

kenchan - window tint is such a hard thing for me. On the Lincoln, I didn't do my due diligence and inspect the film before install Had it tinted at a shop the Lincoln dealer uses and paid a lot of money to only end up with green window film Was NOT happy. It amazes me how even high end window films can have a color to them. Most are either green, blue, or brown.

For the VW, I went to three shops and looked over every film they offered. I'm sure I was a nuisance, but all three tint shops said they had a true colorless film. I showed all three of them why they were wrong! I honestly think all three of them were color blind. Finally found a place that uses Llumar about an hour away. Wen there and...bingo! Black film. VW looks absolutely perfect. About time to re-tint the Fit and it will go to that same shop for the same film. I think our VW was the least valuable car they have ever tinted with Llumar ceramic. The Fit will certainly bring it to a whole new low. LOL

Speaking of the Fit...we went to take it for a drive on Friday and found mold in the interior. We've had such a rainy year that the garage has been really damp. I even keep a bucket of damp rid in the Fit, but it wasn't enough. So, yesterday after our mountain drive, we went in DEEP on the Fit's interior. Pulled the seats out of it to clean under them and the undersides, saturated every inch of the interior with vinegar, wiped down all surfaces, vacuumed the heck out of it, treated all of the plastics with 303, and then let it sit open in the garage last night with a dehumidifier running on constant next to it.

It's fully dried now so the next step will be using our carpet steam cleaner and going over everything again. Will then leave it open to dry overnight with the dehumidifier again. Trying to figure out what I want to do with the garage going forward. I have a window A/C unit, and portable A/C unit, and a dehumidifier at my disposal. Problem is that my garage doesn't have a window or a hole, so not sure what to do.

On the bright side, it's going to be super clean in the end and I have new OEM carpeted mats to go in once this stage is done. Next step will be to pull out the headliner and have a shop re-do it with new material in dark charcoal to match the interior. Will dye all the plastics from the belt line up to match. Was planning on doing the interior after I did the mechanical work, but the mold issue bumped the interior up into first step.
GAFIT
You probably did but did you check the spare tire well for the well known GD water leak that collects there?

Old 08-26-2018, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vic831
GAFIT
You probably did but did you check the spare tire well for the well known GD water leak that collects there?
Thanks for asking!

Ours is water tight. Somehow we got lucky with our Fit. No leaks and all the seam sealer is in place and hasn't shrunk.

The spare tire well was included in the scrub down though. Everything came out and it was all sprayed with vinegar also. Wiped down and put back in. Just came back up from using the carpet cleaner machine on everything. Vinegar smell is mostly gone now and replaced with "clean cotton" scent from the cleaning solution.

Car is looking darn good for it's age. I need to take some pics.

Anyone know of aftermarket carpet kits for GD Fits? Our fuzzy stuff is like new, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with real carpet if that option exists.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
We went with vinegar because I wanted to saturate the carpet and upholstery to get it deeper. I could see Lysol working if in liquid (not spray) form. Bleach would have me worried about discoloration.

Definitely smells like vinegar inside. I think the steam cleaner will help rid the vinegar smell, but mostly it will probably just take a bit of time. Thankfully I don't mind the smell of vinegar that much. I hate mold enough to live with whatever odor is needed to do the job.
ahh you must like english potato chips with vinegar. true about bleach and discoloration.

ash - some fun reading for u.. i guess. https://www.compositesworld.com/arti...ngine-oil-pans
ur going to see more and more composites being used on new cars, like it or not..

Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
gafit- will u be able to use your factory carpet as a template?

maybe buy automotive ozite material? (good carpeting material for RC track. lol)

Old 08-27-2018, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
aright heading out to the tint shop for redo in a bit.. not the whole car but a couple of sheets. wish me luck. lol. cause i will need it

such a busy week this week too with 3 big events happening at work. not to mention next week and the following are both fully booked. another reason why i cant be baby sitting tint work forever.

have a good monday everyone!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
aright heading out to the tint shop for redo in a bit.. not the whole car but a couple of sheets. wish me luck. lol. cause i will need it
Good luck! At least you have a guy that seems to care. That's a huge step in the right direction!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
ahh you must like english potato chips with vinegar. .
That's funny cause I do! I even like some good english fish and chips with vinegar.

That being said, not sure it's the smell I want for a car. Just checked on the Fit and it's looking good, but definitely smells like vinegar. Think I will use it to do my bank and post office run today. Will be a windows down drive. See if I can air the thing out.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
thanks gafit. one down 2 more to go.

yah while i like burgers i don’t like da smell in my car. lol

Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
alright, got the tint 'fixed' to the tinter's abilities. was a good learning experience dat my tint guy is THE guy to go to even if i have to wait a month.. anyway it's fine, it looks a lot better than before and in no time ill forget about the imperfections.

now need to park on roof level again at da office to let it dry in the sun..

Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
okay my muffler delete is fking loud going up the parking structure. lol i feel embarrassed yet kinda playful. need intake and tune. hurry up cobb!!

Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
I listened to a YT video of a new WRX with muffler delete. Sounded better than I thought it would. I bet an intake and tune will balance it out nicely!

After taking our VF (vinegar Fit) for a drive, I'm reminded that I need to address the steering wheel position. I'm good with the seat and shifter, but that darn steering wheel is just too far away.

I contacted Tailored Chassis Solutions based on a post on here. They can build me a spacer for $250, but also need a donor steering wheel. That wheel is another $50 used off eBay. That puts me $300 into moving the wheel. Seems expensive considering I could do this instead...

https://www.nengun.com/mugen/steering-wheel-racing-iii
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Wh...kAAOSwXOVaUI~i

Thoughts? Would that adapter have the wheel back enough? It looks tall.

We'd lose cruise control, but I doubt our Fit will ever leave the mountains again.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
yah, its got a nice boxer exhaust note fosho.. but kinda LOUD!! in the parking structure..

i remember doing a Daikei 30mm spacer on the GD to get that steering position. back den japanparts helped me source it from jland but you can probably buy it locally now days.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah, and get the AS01 fosho.. get dat alignment perfect. yah i never used cruise on the GD so i didnt care either.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
so tired.. but the WRX is an easy car to drive like a Fit so no issue with its MT.

cant wait to go home mang.. need to rest.

have be a good tuesday everyone!

Old 08-28-2018, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
oh mang big lunch is kicking my arse... zZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?