General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Off topic from the above nonsense...

I'm just saddened more and more daily by the posts on here. They are about how cheaply can I fix my POS old Fit or how cheaply can I buy a set of steel wheels or tacky vinyl for my POS GK. Remember back when this board was about JDM or hotrod stuff for the GD?

I know that many would strongly disagree, but the GE and GK ruined the Fit completely. The aftermarket partially abandoned the Fit when the weaker GE came out and then left all together when the GK was released because they appeal to a different market.

Sad. I would like to see a GD only message board created. Fitfreak on FB is mostly GD based because there's still a fair amount of OG people on there. This board is now mostly about repairing POS old cars or buying junk parts for new Fits.

Rant and grandstanding over.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
WHOA MAN.

GE BE FIRE.

<- Man with high end wheels & lowering springs sitting in his closet for his GE8

The GE/GK still have really solid aftermarkets...the current owners just suck.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Off topic from the above nonsense...

I'm just saddened more and more daily by the posts on here. They are about how cheaply can I fix my POS old Fit or how cheaply can I buy a set of steel wheels or tacky vinyl for my POS GK. Remember back when this board was about JDM or hotrod stuff for the GD?

I know that many would strongly disagree, but the GE and GK ruined the Fit completely. The aftermarket partially abandoned the Fit when the weaker GE came out and then left all together when the GK was released because they appeal to a different market.

Sad. I would like to see a GD only message board created. Fitfreak on FB is mostly GD based because there's still a fair amount of OG people on there. This board is now mostly about repairing POS old cars or buying junk parts for new Fits.

Rant and grandstanding over.
yah, nonsense is right mang..

not sure about the GE and GK ruining the Fit though. demographics have changed for the worse as u said, but the GD was only half the car of the GE.. and GK, if it doesnt break, is an upgrade from the GE. the more the car becomes refined from the factory, the less people need to mod it. like my other cars. im completely happy with just very minor mods. yah, i paid more but hell, modern cars dont need so much modding like back 10-20+ yrs ago when they came out of the factory looking like a faking 4x4 and driving like shit on RE92's. lol

i can understand the purists for GD.. but that's only a minority.. only you and hootie come to mind. most hatch enthusiasts (including me) have gone to much more powerful machines that can churn real numbers and go against sports cars (GTI/Golf-R/RS/CTR in no particular order). GD is like my folding bike.. fun for play and commute, and it can compete in a very niche event but never to be taken seriously as a bike (or car in the case of GD). so i do not think GD deserves any special treatment over the GE or GK..

if i had a choice between the GD MT i had, the GE MT i had, and a made in japan MT GK, id take the GK. if i had more parking space i wouldnt mind keeping a MT GK for quick errands and my kid to use. i use my WRX often but when im going to the stores, i usually just take the GK for the cargo space.. and it being narrow and pos, no worries with extra new dings or in my case with the WRX, possibly getting keyed while parked.

well, that's just my take (remember..for entertainment purposes only).

Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b

The GE/GK still have really solid aftermarkets...most of the new owners at fitfreak just suck.
agreed. hey there mike. did u install ur swifts yet?

Old 12-11-2018, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
well, that's just my take (remember..for entertainment purposes only).
I pretty much agree.

For me the GE is the absolute perfect blend of modern convenience with still feeling like a tincan Honda, can I still find flaws with it? OH, WE KNOW I CAN. But I can honestly say on this specific day, I have no desire to replace either of my cars and all I want are more things I'm nostalgic for, an AE86 and an EG civic hatchback. But I know the exception to the rule who enjoys a classic lightweight, slow Honda and I'm even a fan of the beam axle, it fits this car's specific character.

agreed. hey there mike. did u install ur swifts yet?
HA. Spring 2019, need new dampers first & tires. Going to do a huge round of maintenance & have the thing driving better than new come spring.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
yah, i liked my '12 MT. since ive not driven a MT GK i can't be for certain, but im pretty sure it will be an upgrade from the GE i had. just going by wat was improved on the GK i have now even though cvt..

ahh, but 2019 is right around the corner! haha

Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
wife and i have been talking about possibly moving to a new place.. new as in either a brand new 3 or 4 garage house that was built this year (or currently being built), or new as in buying a lot and building a fully custom house.

i would install 2 lifts inside the garage to house 5 cars if 3 car garage with a heated floor and drain for washing in one of the garage space.
and additional parking outside on the driveway for my kids, a shed to place those huge trash bins and lawn equipment.

first car i'll add is a gift for myself, a new M2 (yah RWD but who cares, they are kickarse and ill keep my current AWD cars) followed by an Abarth 500 if i can find a new or newish one, or a JCW Cooper-S. unless my wife wants to continue driving the GK, id like to swap it with a toyota highlander.

the only thing limiting me right now is parking space. and this is stupid.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
yah, i liked my '12 MT. since ive not driven a MT GK i can't be for certain, but im pretty sure it will be an upgrade from the GE i had. just going by wat was improved on the GK i have now even though cvt..

ahh, but 2019 is right around the corner! haha
Does anyone know of any J-land made MT GK’s in the US? I have a J-land cvt GK now. I had a 2015 Mexico made MT GK, man I liked that car with the Tanabe exhaust, It kinda reminded me of my 08’ S2000; (should have kept that S2000 their value is going up and up).
Recently bought a 25K mile MT GD for a relative and drove it on a 4000 mile cross country trip. It was a pleasure to drive and I think it was the last link to the old JDM Honda’s. The last of the Mohicans.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member

The GE/GK still have really solid aftermarkets...the current owners just suck.
That is probably better said. I was on a tirade after actually getting a chance to read through some threads on here and being depressed with the non-sense.

I'll even add that this seems to be mostly US related. I think the v8 domestic scene still exists, but it seems that the import enthusiasts are mostly going green and not caring about performance or even visual mods anymore. They just want to know how cheaply they can keep their vehicle running. Don't even care about maintaining them well. At least that is what it seems like to me. They will invest in some tacky vinyl to go with their steelies, but that's about it.

It's likely a change in the US marketplace more than a change in the vehicles.

I still see some beautiful import builds coming from other countries though. Also some neat drift machines in the US, but that for obvious reasons leaves out the majority of Honda's.

Last edited by GAFIT; 12-11-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
hi vic - regarding your question i do not know. but the GD did have an old 90’s honda civic hb feel. that could be good, that could be bad depending on who u talk to i guess. cars back then came out of the factory kinda crappy (well Si was sort of nice) with understeer and torque steer fever (mazdaspeed3) for fwd so.. considering the modern day perf cars like the ctr exhibit no such phenomenon, modern cars are just better out of the box.

gafit ive not read too much about the steelies and vinyl bombing but that sounds hilarious! . haha
i think most car enthusiasts have moved on. i still have the GK so i visit here but it’s not like i have much to post about the GK cause it’s basically stock. i do like the convenience factor though, the new find (reason).

alright another day at the office. have a goood tuesday everyone!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
That is probably better said. I was on a tirade after actually getting a chance to read through some threads on here and being depressed with the non-sense.

I'll even add that this seems to be mostly US related. I think the v8 domestic scene still exists, but it seems that the import enthusiasts are mostly going green and not caring about performance or even visual mods anymore. They just want to know how cheaply they can keep their vehicle running. Don't even care about maintaining them well. At least that is what it seems like to me. They will invest in some tacky vinyl to go with their steelies, but that's about it.

It's likely a change in the US marketplace more than a change in the vehicles.

I still see some beautiful import builds coming from other countries though. Also some neat drift machines in the US, but that for obvious reasons leaves out the majority of Honda's.
Cars just aren't very cool.

Right now Hondas are just not 'in,' even within the car world. You've got middle-aged dudes speculating on the prices of MINT, fully OEM 90's Hondas, but that is about it. There are not many people left like me, who just want to have fun in a cheap 90's POS with the nicest parts I can afford on it.

That said, I'd rather Hondas be kind of uncool right now than seeing EF/EG/EK hatchbacks get treated like most cars these days whose owners have watched too many Ken Block/Hoonigan/whatever videos.

Last edited by mike410b; 07-16-2023 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
yep bunch of young pansies out there today fosho. my older kid likes cars from 25+ yrs ago. like FC FD and R33 etc. weird.. so weird. but hey i guess there is some hope at least at my household. lol

Old 12-11-2018, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
oh yah just to remind.. my posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
“hondas are not in.. “ so true. the S2K was the last of the cool cars honda made. CTR is too crazy and FWD, TLX A-Spec is like a wtf was (is) honda thinking.

if they ever come back i might consider another honda in my line up, but for now from jland, subaru is king for making fun little cars. i can see myself buying another STI when the next gen comes out.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
for now i’m a happy clam. until i make more parking space.. then will roll in 2 more cars minimum.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Oh the CTR is really cool & tons of people are starting to modify theirs, I mean the older stuff.

I don't think its that young kids are pansies, its just that cars aren't status symbols for my generation as much. Its something we all grew up and for most of us its just a sign of the 40+ hour a week grind that we have suffer through, rather than the freedom of the open road. We don't want to drive to the Badlands & Mt Rushmore, we'd rather fly to Paris or hike in Peru.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
yah as u know i could careless about status symbol with a car. nothing sexy about driving a subaru or a golf or a faking GK. lol

its all about the tinkering and driving and just the fun of playing with these cars.
yah so weird why kids want to travel so much. why is that? i never liked traveling even today i hate business travel even though i do it all the time. i have free miles to go anywhere for free yet i don’t use it.

i just let my wife use it when going to jland.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
yah as u know i could careless about status symbol with a car. nothing sexy about driving a subaru or a golf or a faking GK. lol

its all about the tinkering and driving and just the fun of playing with these cars.
yah so weird why kids want to travel so much. why is that? i never liked traveling even today i hate business travel even though i do it all the time. i have free miles to go anywhere for free yet i don’t use it.

i just let my wife use it when going to jland.
Business travel sucks haha

A lot of people travel because that's how people like to show status & appear interesting.

I love to travel because I like seeing & experiencing things outside of my own limited bubble.

Just in the past four years I've gone from small college town, to completely rural area, to tiny exurban town, to medium sized suburb to a proper city, the hope is for the next jump to be to something totally different still. Experiences mean the world for me.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
hell my work can take me to jland any time i say i want to go. in business class too.. yet i never say i want to go unless absolutely necessary. i guess i’m the weird one. lol

speaking of weird i cut my hand and my wife gave me a bandaid that is hydro sealed. sounded fantastic as the polymer i use on my cars is Prima HydroMax aka Hydro Seal. lol

Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Oh the CTR is really cool & tons of people are starting to modify theirs, I mean the older stuff.

I don't think its that young kids are pansies, its just that cars aren't status symbols for my generation as much. Its something we all grew up and for most of us its just a sign of the 40+ hour a week grind that we have suffer through, rather than the freedom of the open road. We don't want to drive to the Badlands & Mt Rushmore, we'd rather fly to Paris or hike in Peru.
Your insight is interesting.

I still think this is an American thing going on. My wife works at a German company that sends younger interns over. First thing most seem to do when they get here is buy something cool and drive the snot out of it. One couple bought a hemi Challenger and the other couple I know bought a Mustang convertible. They find it strange that my wife drives a Golf that isn't a GTI. FWIW, I find it strange too. LOL

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?