General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
I'd swing by your dealer and try the warranty route.

A friend of mine made us a billet aluminum knob for our Fit. Looks awesome and it's one of a kind, but it does get stupid hot if left in the sun. We keep a glove in the car and stick it over the knob upon exit if it's sunny. Silly, but better than being branded with the Honda logo engraved in the top.

I used to replace my gear shift knobs with Momo's. No idea what those cost now. They weren't too bad in the '90's.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah figured i'd give dealer/warranty a shot...just seems like a silly thing to ask about. I can hear the 'its a wear item' excuse already. Checking my forum for those that replaced their knobs with something else.

Yeah on the GE I had a regular metal ball knob. It was comfortable and think since I used my sun shade all the time that it didn't get too hot ever. Just trying to keep the interior/car more OEM/sleeper than 'hey look at me I modded stuff'. Of course the SI and CTR knobs have red stitching so that's an automatic no-go.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I completely understand! To add paddle shifters to my truck the only option is the OEM Raptor steering wheel. It has a red leather stripe at the top. I will have to find a way to re-color that stripe.

The knob in our Fit just kind of disintegrated over time.

Wonder if you could pop the top off your knob, tuck and glue the leather back under it, and then pop the top panel back on? It kind of looks like it may come apart.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah gonna hit up the dealer Friday. Also agree that maybe I can pop the top off. In addition got a reply on the forum $20 for a like new one shipped to me. Best case, warranty replacement and $20 backup...and if I can repair my existing one...then bonus? Lol. Its just a good overall knob, comfy, discrete and surprisingly heavy. its heavier than the OEM SI and CTR ones lol.

I understand the purpose of the high visibility color steering wheel stripe but on a DD...not so much. Guess because 'racecar'.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Snapped some pics and the top pops off. The black plastic grid is what holds the leather in place and it looks like whoever assembled it, did it wrong/stretched it. Gonna try and fix when I get home.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Happy Thursday everyone.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Happy Thursday!

Got the bed liner done today. Place did a fantastic job...

Old 04-11-2019, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Looks awesome!! Almost don't want to put anything in the back!!

Old 04-11-2019, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
Looks awesome!! Almost don't want to put anything in the back!!
LOL, so true! I now feel the need to speed up my bed cover shopping. Don't want the spray in liner to get dirty!

Yes, I fully acknowledge that I have severe issues.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
LOL, so true! I now feel the need to speed up my bed cover shopping. Don't want the spray in liner to get dirty
Completly agree lol.

That tune is going to be kick ass too!! Will make me think twice if a F150 guy or gal pulls up next to me and wants to run A guy at work has an ecoboost Mustang and he is making some killer power with it. It's impressive what they can do.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Damn that bed liner looks good! What kind of cover did you get? One of those hard ones that have sections that you can roll up? Soft cover that rolls up? Hard solid cover that lifts up only?

Went to dealer yesterday about my shift knob and they are covering it under warranty. They had to order the knob (which was expected) and the guy said they'd call me when it arrives...also to allocate ~3 hours for the fix. 3 HOURS to change a shift knob. He saw my perplexed look and said 'they might have to disassemble the center console'. No they dont...they unclip the shift boot...unscrew the knob...install new knob...clip shift boot back on. MAYBE a minute...lol.

Anyhow. Glad its covered, while I wouldnt mind a different shift knob, the OEM one is rather comfy and suits the car. Hope everyone has a good Saturday!

Old 04-14-2019, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari this seems like one of the few times the flat rate mechanic doesn't get screwed by the auto maker. Usually not enough time is allocated for a warranty job. Your shift knob replacement will make him very happy.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Ash that may be true. Even if it were an auto trans, don't see why you have to disassemble the center console to replace the knob. I think they secretly want to see all the shifter upgrades I did haha.

Gonna have to remember to remove the tune and check my mileage when I drop it off.

Happy Monday.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Great news on the shift knob!

Still looking around at bed covers. I think I want a hard fold cover. Looking at the BAKflip and one's like it. I've had most types, including an actual roll-n-lock and think the hard folding type may be a good compromise between function and cost. Even those are close to $900. EVERYTHING is just so darn expensive now! Yes, I'm old.

I removed the badges and stickers that could come off and installed rear wheel well liners. Need to clean it and get some new pics. Planning on a few small visual touches, but nothing big.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't done an initial full detail yet, but silver helps to hide the dirt

Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 AM
17mpg is great! My work truck manages only 13mpg.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
So roomy looking and those power side steps are slick.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Fuel mileage so far is pretty good. Hoping for a little better once broken in, but we'll see.

Interior is definitely big. My Son looks like he's sitting in a Limo like 5 feet behind me.

We are a short family so some form of running boards is a necessity. My previous trucks all had fixed steps, but I don't like the way they look and they're always in the way. These retractable ones are definitely the best plan EVER! What I really like about them, besides going away, is that when out they are further away from the truck. Makes it more like a step into the cab vs a ladder/vertical step. Definitely a win-win. Granted, it's one more thing to potentially break.

I ordered a Raptor steering wheel with paddles last night and plan on addressing some of the chrome this week. I have Plasti-dip and I'm not afraid to use it. LOL

Old 04-17-2019, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
What chrome you gonna black out? All I can see are the door handles and side view mirror covers? That silver is doing a great job at blending that chrome in.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
What chrome you gonna black out? All I can see are the door handles and side view mirror covers? That silver is doing a great job at blending that chrome in.
Thankfully it does hide it.

Mirrors are now all black. Was a bit scary disassembling them with all of the electronics. Had to pull the mirror glass out as the starting point and it got scarier from there. Waiting for them to fully dry before re-installing. Front "Ford" emblem is now black as well.

Front tow hooks and tailpipe are next to get the blackout treatment. Tailpipe is off and I just got back from the store with high temp gloss black paint. Also have black touch up markers to do the F150 side emblems. There are holes behind those so I can't just remove them.

I'm thinking that the door handles will need to be painted body color to look right? Black may make it look too base model?

Thoughts on what to do with the billboard in the back? Maybe pastidip the whole thing black?

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?