General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Nice Pics GAFIT!

Yeah I understand the 'freedom' of no helmet...but I'll play it safe.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks! It's really holding up pretty well considering it's a cheap car with 192,xxx miles.

Only repair still to date is one fuel pump. It's on it's second battery and has had a few sets of brake pads and tires, but that's all to be expected. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and gets run to redline pretty much any time it leaves the house.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
That's legit right there! Stereotypical Honda in action. Nearly 200k uneventful miles. I'd sill be driving mine if the ride wasn't so harsh (turns out it was the Progress RSB making the rear SUPER stiff). I removed it to sell it and the ride became more tolerant to passengers. I enjoyed the better handling car over the comfort. Also if it had a little more HP/tq would have been nice. Granted wringing out all that power reminded me of my 99 Civic hatch haha.

Like those old school looking wheels you picked as well.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is looking great for having that many miles. Never would have guessed it had that much. What percent tint is that?

Yes 200k miles and only a fuel pump (which is odd as Honda fuel pumps are rather robust) is what I would expect. Have gotten maybe one CEL in one of my Honda's but it was a beat Accord with over 100k miles. Got a CEL in the GTI a few weeks ago for the secondary air pump. Does not harm performance or drivability but still a pain to deal with. The CEL popped up on start up and I just gave it a FML look :-\

Old 06-13-2019, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
That's legit right there! Stereotypical Honda in action. Nearly 200k uneventful miles. I'd sill be driving mine if the ride wasn't so harsh (turns out it was the Progress RSB making the rear SUPER stiff). I removed it to sell it and the ride became more tolerant to passengers. I enjoyed the better handling car over the comfort. Also if it had a little more HP/tq would have been nice. Granted wringing out all that power reminded me of my 99 Civic hatch haha.

Like those old school looking wheels you picked as well.
Yeah, it's fun to basically beat on it. Even more rewarding with the camshaft and Hondata now. It almost likes to rev. Not anything like a real vtec motor, but it's better.

Wife picked out those wheels about 10 years ago. I gave her a bunch of options (all the others were "real" wheels that cost a ton more, but I didn't tell her the cost of any of them) and she ONLY liked these. She wanted something old school for the old school looking Fit. For a cheap wheel, they've held up pretty darn well. Owned them for 10 years and probably have 120k ish miles on them. We switch back to the OEM's for some long highway trips and snow season which is very short.

Last edited by GAFIT; 06-13-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat
The Fit is looking great for having that many miles. Never would have guessed it had that much. What percent tint is that?

Yes 200k miles and only a fuel pump (which is odd as Honda fuel pumps are rather robust) is what I would expect. Have gotten maybe one CEL in one of my Honda's but it was a beat Accord with over 100k miles. Got a CEL in the GTI a few weeks ago for the secondary air pump. Does not harm performance or drivability but still a pain to deal with. The CEL popped up on start up and I just gave it a FML look :-\
The tint started life as 20% Solar Guard Metallic, but it has faded over time. It's starting to get a slight hint of blue. I can't complain too much given that it's 11 1/2 years old. Will probably have it redone in the same 30% Llumar CTX that we have on the Golf later this year.

I blame the fuel pump failure on ethanol fuel. It had the black gunk of death on it. Without ethanol, it would probably still have the original pump.

Here's the Golf tint that we'll go with on the Fit. It's more of a true black/gray...

Old 06-13-2019, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Ethanol does do some damage. I don't have any non ethanol stations near me. For added power for the GTI I would consider running a E30 blend but all we have is E10 around me.

The Golf tint looks great!! I had a 5% on the Fit and it was a little tough to see at night so I was thinking of going with something a little lighter. The 20% might be a great middle ground, thanks. I might tint the windows for Fathers Day even though that's kinda what the resonator delete was for

Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well so far:

New Dainese Textile Jacket (50% off thanks to fleabay) - Check
New Knox Nexos Gauntlets - Check
New Shoei RF-1200 Flagger TC-6 for the GF (33% off due to being a closeout) - Check
New Shoei RF-1200 Recounter TC-5 for me (20% off since I asked nicely and ordered from them plenty of times haha) - Waiting for invoice.

Next...start to ride more regularly again. Been a slacker.

Also continue to investigate this issue when the bike is hot. Basically when the bike is hot after a decent rid, if I turn it off...it wont turn over. I can bump start it...but that's a pain usually lol.

Basically, the culprits can be:
-Battery (newish, although cheapo Chinese battery from amazon which I keep on a tender)
-Stator (tested and charges fine)
-Starter relay/solenoid (clean works fine)
-Starter (removed previously to clean out the carbon build up thinking it was that, but didn't fix it)

So at this point I'm planning to buy a starter rebuild kit (new brushes) and go that route. Not sure how else to clean out the carbon build up besides compressed air and tapping the armature a few times. Following this procedure again.
https://www.mrcycles.com/startermotors

If that doesn't do it, might consider a lithium ion battery to replace the AGM one...if THAT doesn't do it, I'm at the point where I wanna basically over it and would seriously consider trading for a newer bike.

2003 Cbr600rr with 32k miles. Would find it hard to believe the start is 'bad' but never know.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I would say that all fingers point to the starter or wiring to the starter being weak.

Have to also consider any associated wiring including the starter button, starter relay, etc.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
My thoughts exactly. I should've prepared better the first time I took it out by having new brushes already ready for it. One of those 'may as well while you're in there' kinda things. Like changing the water pump when you do a timing belt. At least that's one that comes to mind haha. Or changing the rear main seal when you do a clutch job (applicable to my 99 Civic Hatch).

Gonna order a rebuild kit, pull it, clean it as best as I can, install new brushes...go from there.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
What have y'all been up too? How is the F150? Motorcycle issue fixed? The GTI got some new stuff.

I got new tips:

Name:  XQJSR5ol.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  5lQBokgl.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  44.5 KB

R8 coil packs:

Name:  haZwJ7hl.jpg
Size:  73.1 KB

Throttle body pipe:

Name:  mTmY2UBl.jpg
Size:  72.2 KB

New South Boost gauge:

Name:  VGM9mZhl.jpg
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  yIBLL65l.jpg
Size:  16.0 KB

Integrated Engineering intake should be here soon. Got a used one off eBay.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
GTI's looking great!

Truck is doing well. Took it on two long road trips. One to OH and one to S FL. Have some miles on it now and it's doing great. 400 whp, every possible modern feature, and built in wi-fi paired with a big 4x4 rolling on 34" tires makes for a pretty nice place to spend the day on an interstate. Very painful at gas stops, but definitely comfortable and safe. The 36 gallon fuel tank at least provides a ton of range.

Our Golf is nearing 60k trouble free miles. It's not perfect or anything, but I'd vote it about the best bang for the buck in a new car.

Fit is also doing well. It's my errand car and makes mundane tasks more fun.

I'm in the process of gathering quotes for concreting my driveway. It's not going to be cheap because I have a lot of driveway and am going to include adding two more parking spaces and a large carport. Will be a nice upgrade to the property, but not a cheap one. Picked the company and looking for them to start late next week.

Will be soooo nice to be washing my vehicles on concrete again. Gravel driveways SUCK!

Old 08-27-2019, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Truck is doing well. Took it on two long road trips. One to OH and one to S FL. Have some miles on it now and it's doing great. 400 whp, every possible modern feature, and built in wi-fi paired with a big 4x4 rolling on 34" tires makes for a pretty nice place to spend the day on an interstate. Very painful at gas stops, but definitely comfortable and safe. The 36 gallon fuel tank at least provides a ton of range.
Awesome. Trucks have gotten to be very nice and they still retain there usefulness so you don't have to give up much (except at the pump).

Our Golf is nearing 60k trouble free miles. It's not perfect or anything, but I'd vote it about the best bang for the buck in a new car.
In the words of Jeremy Clarkson if everyone bought the car they needed the world would be driving Golf's.

Fit is also doing well. It's my errand car and makes mundane tasks more fun

That's great!! I miss my Fit at times but am really enjoying the GTI and modding it.

I'm in the process of gathering quotes for concreting my driveway. It's not going to be cheap because I have a lot of driveway and am going to include adding two more parking spaces and a large carport. Will be a nice upgrade to the property, but not a cheap one. Picked the company and looking for them to start late next week.

Will be soooo nice to be washing my vehicles on concrete again. Gravel driveways SUCK!
Yessss gravel does suck. We got ours paved last year after some guy came down the driveway with the old "we are doing a driveway down the street and will have some left over" thing. I had already gotten a quote before and he came back at $1000 less so I said sure why not. It was a great investment and am glad I did it. Adding extra parking is always nice and so is a carport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Integrated Engineering Intake installed. Very high quality part and makes the engine sound amazing. You can hear the turbo and diverter when you let off or shift. Even if it doesn't add much power for the stock turbo it is a great upgrade to enhance the overall driving experience. Don't get the cool Stututututu Subie noises but still nice to hear the turbo.

Scored the intake and secondary air filter used off of eBay for $225.

Name:  DEkr9Wql.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  fNuNvfsl.jpg
Size:  56.7 KB

Instal took about 35-40min and everything fit very nicely.

Old 11-02-2019, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Here is what 48k miles of carbon looks like!!!

Name:  8E1Wep0l.jpg
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  v2tAfKTl.jpg
Size:  21.8 KB

Name:  woxVo8gl.jpg
Size:  20.9 KB

Was thinking of doing a cleaning around 60k miles. Might just do it next year.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:41 AM
Unhappy No more Fit

I see there's not much going on here these days, but I've got an update. Some guy in a Prius rear-ended me in the Fit a couple of weeks back, and insurance totaled it out.
I've got the OEM all weather mats (F/R/H) and a darker grey trim glove box lid I may or may not post up FS but you can always PM me. The car was a 2013 DX.

Still got the 370Z (on jack stands preparing for track mode) and my grandpa's 04 Lexus ES. I'm still active on the Z forum (the370z)
If anyone sees Kenchan tell him JAR says hello. And that my parts bin is bigger than his now LOL

Y'all take care

Old 01-27-2020, 11:43 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by JARblue
I see there's not much going on here these days, but I've got an update. Some guy in a Prius rear-ended me in the Fit a couple of weeks back, and insurance totaled it out.
I've got the OEM all weather mats (F/R/H) and a darker grey trim glove box lid I may or may not post up FS but you can always PM me. The car was a 2013 DX.

Still got the 370Z (on jack stands preparing for track mode) and my grandpa's 04 Lexus ES. I'm still active on the Z forum (the370z)
If anyone sees Kenchan tell him JAR says hello. And that my parts bin is bigger than his now LOL

Y'all take care
Hi JAR! I am sorry to hear about your Fit. Good to hear you still have the 370Z, they are still one of the best looking Nissans they ever built. Sad to hear Ghosen had to bail Japan. I don't care what he did or didn't do, he did a great job returning the 350Z/G35C and the 370Z's, not to forget the GT-R. No one else could've revived the company like he did. Look at Nissan's product line now after his departure.. so lame.

So looks like you guys kept this thread going for some time.!!

For me in the time I was gone from FitFreak, I bought a larger house with my wife. I now have a 4 car finished garage with a long and wide driveway that houses my 16 STI, 19 WRX Limited, 17 Golf-R (MT of course), and 16 Fiesta ST. Got much more tools now and new cabinets, etc. since too. The garage doors are all app controlled for added safety and convenience. I love my new garage, so much room. I have several sets of wheels, full sized wire racks with car parts, my big snow thrower, several mobile carts, stupid big village trash bins, etc. in there and I can still sort of ride my bicycle inside. LOL

I still have my GK..while the paint sucks (under recall now) and many other things rusting all over, the cargo space is awesome and has done a tremendous job moving my music gear (several full sized 88 key stage pianos and music workstations and all) with no hesitation. I'm going to be taking the car into the dealer for them to do the paint recall and a full tune up later this year (at near 60K miles now) and going to keep it until the thing hits like 100k+ miles. I was thinking about getting a new Forester for my wife this year, but she just loves the GK and been wanting AWD, so the HRV with Honda Sensing seems appropriate. Much cheaper than the Forester Limited I was looking at too. Per appraisal, there's not much monetary value left in my GK so decided I'm going to keep it till the thing literally falls apart.

The next few years I probably will not be buying a new car for myself as there's really nothing out there that excites me. Maybe if the Supra comes MT I might get one.
I don't know, between my STI and Golf-R, they do everything I want out of a street driven performance car. The WRX continues to be my favorite for dd-ing. I have several parts laying around for my cars that I will be installing when it gets a little warmer. My garage is heated, but I've been concentrating more on decorating the rest of my house including my little piano lounge and music room.
I suppose I'll check in again in a year or so. Have fun everyone!

Old 01-27-2020, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
holy crap, kenchan is alive!!!

Old 04-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Hope everyone's doing okay despite this covid19 bs.

my fam and i have been doing real well (although i really need a hair cut..), been working from home over 5 weeks now and with all this time at home (since no biz travel mandate at work) i did a lot of house projects and car projects..spent a lot of money to stimulate the local economy including tipping restaurants with bigger than usual tips for carryouts, etc.

so during the last recession i bought a new 370Z per my old post i dug up.. this recession it seemed appropriate to pickup a new 2020 SUPRA Premium in black so i did. i did not do a trade, so yes, although unrelated to weekend cars, i still have the GK with even more rust now... lol

i have a piggyback coming to me this week to bump the power ~80whp so it should be pretty quick. advertised power on the SUPRA is 335hp/365tq at the crank, but shops are dynoing at like >350whp/400lb-ft.. 0-60 comes under 4sec in real world so you can imagine the kind of power it will have with the piggyback. i got other decorative mods on order..

i heard there will be a 4 banger version coming, but no MT so decided to just bite the bullet and go with the premium 8AT. i know the 2021 SUPRA's come with a 40-50hp bump at the crank but the post-piggyback 400whp+ on my SUPRA is plenty for me. the ZF 8sp is fast like a dual clutch and while it is boring to drive an AT car, this is my garage queen/ weekend cruising car so it's fine. nice interior, nice ICE, nice exhaust note, lots of nice things it keeps me entertained.

anyway hope all is well, stay positive, healthy, and safe!

Originally Posted by kenchan
Lol! hahaha. I had to take care of a lot of home stuff yesterday so that was one of the reasons I didn't get a chance to post.

The other reason is that I came home with a brand spankin' new 370Z 6MT with SportsPackage.

tanuki is correct. If you summarize it all it does sound like the STI was the way to go...but if you rewind a tad more, the STI was a compromise car since I would (thought I would) need to take the kids to class on saturdays so my motoring days were going to be very limited.

Wife doesn't want me working on my music on Sunday and so took ownership of taking the kids to class, which means I work on my music on Saturday and have Sunday early morning to myself. Plus the 370Z had been my choice from the beginning. This is the no-compromise approach. .

Another key component to my decision was that I couldn't let the FitS go. Its the lowest-end car from Honda, yet I like it more than the STI for commuting. STI is a great package...but to me, it is a package for car guys quite a bit younger than me, and can only afford one car.

Now the first year release thing... Well, the price I negotiated for the 370Z 6MT with Sport Package (went from $36.2K to less than what I was quoted on the 08 CR!) it didn't bother me. That was the trade off. its the time to buy, dealer had 8-9 370Z's still in-stock. Most of them were MT's too and they said they had a hard time selling the MT's. Pretty werd if you asked me.

So thanks to all of you who participated and who read my little quest. . Hahahaha. Atleast you know how much I value the FitS.

More on the 370Z later.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Wait, so at this point....Supra, Golf R, STI, Fit?

Old 04-21-2020, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Kenchan, I bought an N55 powered X3 as our baby hauler. You and I will have much to discuss.

I am jealous ... you have quite the garage there.

A B58 powered vehicle is 100% on my mind .... I predict a 340i will be the next in my garage. IF .... I had one... I would probably be utilizing this list:

https://bmwtuning.co/build-500hp-b58/

I followed a similar one for my n55, and will be going stage 2 real real soon in our "family car".

CHEERS GENTS. I miss you guys (yes, even mike410b). The Bmw forums are not the same.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?