General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
alright, happy friday everyone!

still more to do this weekend on my STI and GTI. hope they deliver my bov today so that i can at least get that part of my weekend done. otherwise bringing up the GTI winters tonight from storage and adding air. will swap tomorrow.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
i talked to my tint guy and he said to bring the car in any time. he will redo that one glass with the bubbles.

so i'll just see if i can puncture the bubbles and heat it down

Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
k, got gas on the way home in the GTI, brought up the GTI's winter wheel set to the basement, aired it up, Hydro'ed and dressed up the tires.

oh yah, the bov also arrived. will install tomorrow.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
woot, installed the bov on the STI this am, going to take it out for a spin in a bit.
need to retorque the lugs somewhere.

after that, going to swap the wheels on the GTI and take it out for a short test drive.

going to be a busy day..

Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
motored the STI this am, squeezed the bov's venting to only a little to tone down the noise.. the minor turbo surging i had before in 3rd at WOT is gone! wooot! and the overall throttle response improved greatly so im super happy i got this thing.

a lot of wrx folks give shittt to people that swap their bypass valves for bov's but mang, they dont know wtf they're talking about. with the right bov like my hybrid bov where i can have full venting to full recirculate there is no dtc, no idle problems, no backfire even.. works perfect and even better than stock!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
got home, swapped the wheels on my GTI to my winter OZ set. i was a bit worried the front wheel would get stuck to the hub as the UltraLeggara's center bore was so tight from the beginning.. the funny is i used antiseize on the hub on one side of the car and the other side nothing when i mounted these wheels on the car early Spring to see how effective antiseize really is.

well, the side with antiseize required considerable amount of force to remove the wheel from the hub. lol.. yet another one of those meaningless old skool techniques your pops or some old loser geezer 'taught' u.. bunch of BS just like telling oil is 'old and needs replacing' just by looking at it. haha

Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
motored the GTI to run a quick errand with the wife and retorqued the lugs. since my winter's Alleggerita set is about gross 4lbs lighter per corner vs my summer OZ set, i could feel the acceleration improve and braking is effortless. too bad they are 18's.. i shouldve just gotten another 19" set for winter like my HyperGT's on my R.

anyway, washed up the summer wheels real well, touched up the one little chip i had using plastic model enamel paint, and now waiting for them to fully dry to let my kid take them into storage. he's been bugging me he wanted to help for tips.

speaking of my kid, he helped me a little bit this am while i was installing the STI's bov. he had ZERO interest in cars until like a month ago... now he's like damn, i want to get a car and mod it too, so i let him do a little bit of the work to get the feel. he said he really enjoyed it.. HUGE smile.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
pizza tonight!

afterwards going to watch TV and relax rest of the evening. still undecided whether to pull out my STI or R tomorrow am.. i think STI, but then R is nice and relaxing. STI is just a blast to drive.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
yah little tired this am from all the stuff i did yesterday so the choice for today is dat i'm going to pull out the R this am.

have a good sunday everyone!

Old 10-22-2017, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
motored the R this am as scheduled, had a great time. the tint on the side glass was dry so drove around with the window cracked open as usual.

was monitoring weather radar while i was driving around to minimize getting hit by a downpour and got home just in time. it started to rain on my car a little, but it REALLY started coming down like a min or two after i drove her into my garage. haha
getting some rain on the car is fine, but the kickup is what makes car washing a task so im glad i didnt have to go through with that this am.

needed to wash the car anyway so used Griot's waterless followed by a full QD wipe down.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Jelly of washing stuff.

I put 140ish miles on the S2000 yesterday, rained a bit, drove through some gravel, hit some country backroads (pulled one fender a bit with some tire contact (oh well)), etc.

Thing is looking rough.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
ouch on the fender contact.. hope no paint cracks and repairable! after driving through gravel, probably best you blast it down with a garden hose vs waterless wash.

little concern i noticed today on the R was while i had the window closed, when it started raining a little on the way home, i had the stereo turned off and heard a faint low frequency howl like a bad wheel bearing noise.. it could be just the tires as it was warm again today and slightly over inflated, but couldn't tell for sure. i hadn't heard this noise before and since i always drive with the windows cracked open on my hobby cars i dont know if it was making that noise before i swapped to my winter set or not.

not that it's a huge deal or anything, but just a hassle if i need to take her in for warranty repair.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Sup everyone. Seems like everyone got some wheeling done except me haha.

Was a full weekend. Saturday was washing civic, repositioned the driver visor that was giving me issues (no more issues!), fixing motorcycle (starter was seized/reassembled by "someone" improperly), coolant flush and oil change, house warming party for lunch (taco guy was awesome), then an engagement dinner for a friend (yet another taco guy LOL).

Sunday had brunch with some friends that were in town, finished putting bike back together, cleaned up the mess of a garage, played some Metal Gear 5 for a bit, GF got home from her open house/showings and we watched some netflix. Done...PHEW!

Bike is back on the road woohoo! Hopefully ride this coming weekend.

Currently planning installing a stair runner in the house, planning out the back yard (its just dirt LOL) but that means I get to plan out my workshed so thats cool. Granted a 12x16 workshop will run me at least $2k in materials alone haha.

Ouch about the fender rub and the weird "howl". Funny you mention wheel bearing noise. Was driving in a friends car and we were talking about how the road noise was getting worse and both our GF's go "We have no idea how you two can even tell what noise is what" and me and my bud laughed and continued to discuss solutions. Ultimately it was old tires haha.

Happy Monday!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
hey there shinjari- wow, u had a busy weekend too! good to hear you fixed that visor and your bike. woooah, 12x16 workshop. nice~

yah, about the R's howling its hard to tell as it's still faint, but neither STI or GTI currently running the same DWS06 make that noise so im kinda thinking it's a bearing... or it could be a normal sound of the haldex system. im not sure. will see how it goes.

so im heading back to my tint guy this weekend to get that one tint with bubbles replaced.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
glad i swapped to the DWS06 over the weekend cause this am, 40F. tires were gripping well. need to add more air in the R before the weekend.

i saw at least 3-4 cars yesterday pulled over for flat tire. dont just rely on TPMS.. a good idea to check your tire psi this time of year. considering temps will only fall, i just air it to 36psi cold in the morning to give some padding for those colder mornings.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I need to swap wheels on the S2000 and put it in storage.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
yah it's about that time when i was putting away my old rwd cars. this yr both STI and R will for a spin as long as the roads are dry.

i don't trust others who may hit my car in the snow..!

Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
I just don't want my tires sitting on the cold pavement in these super cold temperatures.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
yah i use flatstoppers by RaceRamps. they keep the tires off the ground and help maintain the curvature. i used like 44psi and placed on the flatstoppers. no flat spots or any damage.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
so i had the displeasure of driving a ford ... wtf i keep forgetting its name.. oh yah, Fusion as a rental this week.

not a pos like a kia but as much as i hate to say, camry is still far ahead in the cheap family sedans segment. hell if we did not care about fwd, camry was overall better than a low trim 3 series my rental gave me at one time. i did like how eager the Fusion downshifted as needed without stomping on the gas.
the HU and dash control was a mess. whoever designed that thing needs to be replaced. and it took forever for the gas gage to get back up to full i almost returned the car looking like i didn't fill all the way.

can't wait to get into my GTI.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?