General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Those are not too bad @shinjari

I'm a hypebeast, so I wouldn't do XXR, but I think they fit the car.

I can't comment on rubbing or scraping the ground, I do at least one of them every time I drive my car.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
First thing I did when I got my GTI was ditch the 18 inch wheels & tires. I went with a 17 inch wheel & 225-45-17 tire. The ride is nice & I can drive in the real world with little worry about bent rims & broken tires.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Discount Tire. One of the guys I know told me about a CTR they had in. Two broken wheels & two dead tires. He said it took them over a week to source new tires & wheels. So much for rubber-band sidewall tires.
ash u get a free pass cause u retired.

yah 20’s are a bit much. wat was honda thinking.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
on the menu today.. trying to take it easy at work but won’t happen. lol

need to pump gas in the GTI on the way home. only 2nd fill since a month since i’ve been out on biz trips a lot.

have a good friday everyone!

Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
ash u get a free pass cause u retired.
Thanks Ken. With the way the roads are in my part of this world it would cost me a fortune to run a big wheel & a very low profile tire. Although my friends at the Tire store would love it if I did.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
i need to be careful this time of yr when the ice melts and potholes appear.

a couple more weeks and i can put the STI and R’s summer set back on the car.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
finally home, was a long short week. so tired but got A LOT done. good thing 3 day weekend this weekend and looks like im going to be able to wash my filthy GTI on monday in the rain. lol need to get that layer of crap off the car..

got gas on the way home, saw a few stupid people crashing into each other not paying attention.. something about those people and spring. they get totally dumb when temps warm up a little getting all carried away.

have a great weekend!

Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
huh, looks like temp dropped and holding steady until saturday afternoon..which means minimal snow melting and dry roads.. then warm up sunday so i can waterless wash my R as needed.

think im going to pull out my R tomorrow morning. havent driven the car since before xmas so should be fun. perfect reward after 2 long but short busy work months.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
alright on the menu today.. my wife needs to head out in a bit, but said gas is low on the GK so going to head out to get gas for her while surveying the roads prior to my drive in the R.

And park out of the way so i can pull out my R. kill 3 birds this am.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Enjoy the drive Ken. I'll be heading out in my GTI in a bit. I'll wave if I see you. ;-)

Old 02-17-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
thanks, ash! yah, will definitely wave if i see you next time. hope you had a nice drive too.

got back a few moments ago, was a super relaxing, nice, fun drive. the Golf-R is perfect for a tired middle aged guy like me. smooth riding, great audio system, nice interior, small, fun to drive, excellent handling, sports car quick acceleration with no unnecessary wheels spin, comical good looks, and can still easily manage 28mpg even while AWD... cant ask for more.

now relaxing in my music room with hot cocoa in hand.. was 24F when i got back. too cold to do any QD, but the snow was just starting to melt in some areas so my car is still clean. will wipe her down tomorrow in 40F weather.

have a great saturday everyone!

Old 02-17-2018, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
so while pumping gas this am, i took a close look at the door paint that is cracking on the GK.

the cracking does not appeared to have spread since a couple of weeks ago which is good news. considering how poor the adhesion is on that section of the door, i ordered a sample sheet of metallic white pearl vinyl to place over the area. im going to use some spot bondo and just seal it using vinyl at least until its warm enough to paint it.

wife was telling me though this morning that she's totally okay to continue using the car since the problem is only cosmetic. i told her im also totally okay with getting her a new car, but she's like if the car gets her from A to B without issue, she doesnt care. she cares more about me "wasting" money on her car.. huh

i mean if she's okay with it i suppose we can give it another yr or two just as long as its not cracking on the other panels. more cash towards my cars and mods and wheels and more icecream.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
When the weather warms up head over to the local body shop & get an estimate. Ask around locally to find the best shop in your area. You never know it might be less than you think. My thought is if you put vinyl over that spot when you pull that off to do a repair much more paint will come off with the vinyl.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
unfortunately with the pearl white, which is basically impossible to color match, unless the entire side of the car is painted over it will turn out like a patched paint job. i already got an estimate before and it's like anywhere between 1300-1500 to fix at my local oem certified bodyshop. and obviously insurance will not cover it. pretty crazy huh?

vinyl should not peel up the paint if it is sound.. so if it peels, then that area needs repair too.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
basically if im going to have the paint professionally re-done i rather just sell the car and get a new car and start from scratch as there is no guarantee that the other panels will not crack and peel.

otherwise, im just going to touch it up and keep the expense as low as possible.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
cleaned the R this am, also adjusted psi on the GTI and GK in prep for warmer weather, added washer fluid and quick visual check.

finishing off laundry this am and going to relax and stream some shows this pm. the R cleaned up real nicely.

have a good sunday everyone!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
unfortunately with the pearl white, which is basically impossible to color match, unless the entire side of the car is painted over it will turn out like a patched paint job. i already got an estimate before and it's like anywhere between 1300-1500 to fix at my local oem certified bodyshop. and obviously insurance will not cover it. pretty crazy huh?

vinyl should not peel up the paint if it is sound.. so if it peels, then that area needs repair too.
OEM certified body shop means nothing. If you go the repaint route you need to find the best shop & I'll bet a donut & a coffee it ain't gonna be the the so called OEM certified shop. I have a friend who can tell you a horror story about his dealing with a VW OEM certified body shop. In the end VW ordered him a new GTI.

Pearl paint is an ever loving pain in the arse to match. You are right it would have to be blended into the other panels to have any hope of a decent looking repair. I did not know that white had a pearl component to it.

If the paint is bad enough to have cracked, vinyl will peal it off if removed. When I raced we did not have assigned numbers. Show up for a race & sometimes we'd have to peel the numbers off to install other ones. Many times folks would end up taking the paint off their doors from doing the change. Man I hated that.

Good luck Ken I hope you get it looking good.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
ash, thanks i appreciate you trying to help.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
for conversation sake i have 2 different body shops i usually go to. both are privately owned and one does euro and high end cars, the other does more regular cars. they are both certified by the oems. the GK would go to the regular car bodyshop where my insurance adjuster is on site. they are both reputable bodyshops in my area and do great work.

as for vinyl peeling off paint that is just horrible paint work. unless aftermarket, paint should never peel off with automotive vinyl. i do vinyl, clearbra, and decals on my cars often and none have peeled factory paint during removal. ive seen aftermarket paint peel off during clearbra removal, but if you apply the right amount of heat chances are it will come off without damaging the paint.

also for PDR i use glue pullers on roofs (hail damage) which one of the glues i use have very high adhesion strength. factory paint does not peel off even after several pulls.

at the end of the day my wife was very clear she doesnt care about the GK just as long as it is functionally sound. so im not going to be spending any more than a few bucks on the repair. otherwise i will just replace the car entirely.

i still have maintenance items in my parts bin for the GK so id like to use that up before i trade it in..

Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah, i tried carplay on my R yesterday and no issue with the latest iOS 11.2.5 or watever it was.

never know with these things until one tries it so.. i was very glad to confirm.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah, been using my latest BT headset my wife got me earlier while working on my cars and while shoveling snow. thing is awesome! good sound, nice bass, and i can hear around me so that i know wats going on around me for safety. and no fear of it falling off my bigarse head. EQ and bass boost is programmable via its app. very cool.

https://www.66audio.com/bts-pro

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?