Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

How long is my 2007 Fit going to last?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 AM
Question How long is my 2007 Fit going to last?

I have a love/hate relationship with my 2007 Bare Bones Manual 5-Speed Fit. I bought it in college as a practical useful car, and now I'm almost 30 dreaming of something with Bluetooth, power door locks and a push start button.

My Fit has 150,000 miles on it and all I've done is regular oil changes, a few transmission fluid changes and anti-freeze changes. I feel like this thing is the Crypt Keeper and it will NEVER die. Which is good, right?

Is there anything I should look out for as far as maintenance goes? Have any other 2007 Fit owners made it past 150k?

My car has mostly freeway miles, as I'm in the LA area. I took it to the dealer when it hit 100k and all they suggested that I do is a get new brake pads (first time ever getting new ones so I wasn't suspicious of their suggestion).

I have experienced minor issues, not related to my engine. My driver-side door lock mechanism no longer accepts my key to unlock it (yeah, that's right-- no auto door lock capabilities on Awesome-O!) and my driver side visor lost it's springy step-- all fixable when I feel like paying for it but nothing major with the engine or transmission.

If i were to sell this bad boy, would a Death Star shift knob add to the appeal?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:27 AM
Curious to know as well.

Hunting Craigslist down for a nice 07 in the mean time.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
You should have changes the brake fluid few times already.
Inspect your cv boots. Your shocks and struts might need replacement too.
Serpentine belt! Thermostat should be changed too, as well as radiator and other coolant bypass hoses. They are old and you are risking them blow up any moment.
If taken care, this car can go indefinitely, until crashed.
The engine, with care, is capable of 300- 500K... especially doing highway in so cal.
Good luck.
P.S. Love Valencia, wish I could live there.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by MaytheFitbewithyou
I have a love/hate relationship with my 2007 Bare Bones Manual 5-Speed Fit. I bought it in college as a practical useful car, and now I'm almost 30 dreaming of something with Bluetooth, power door locks and a push start button.

I have experienced minor issues, not related to my engine. My driver-side door lock mechanism no longer accepts my key to unlock it (yeah, that's right-- no auto door lock capabilities on Awesome-O!) and my driver side visor lost it's springy step-- all fixable when I feel like paying for it but nothing major with the engine or transmission.
So, when you say you dream of something with power door locks are you saying your 2007 Fit base doesn't have power door locks? Mine came with them standard and I also have the base. Or did you just mean the power door locks don't function anymore? Like you press the button on the driver's door panel and nothing happens.

And as far as your driver's door lock mechanism you know that you can lock all the doors from the inside, right? I don't even think you have to pull the handle and push the lock button like was necessary with older Hondas.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
Push button start is a gimmick, not a useful feature. I had a customer this winter who wanted to "upgrade" to a "modern ignition system." Bluetooth is nice, but buying another car to have it integrated strikes me as silly.

If you're just saying it's time for a new car, admit it to yourself and move on. Ditch the shift knob before you try to sell it, though.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:21 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MaytheFitbewithyou

My Fit has 150,000 miles on it and all I've done is regular oil changes, a few transmission fluid changes and anti-freeze changes. I feel like this thing is the Crypt Keeper and it will NEVER die. Which is good, right?

Is there anything I should look out for as far as maintenance goes? Have any other 2007 Fit owners made it past 150k?

My car has mostly freeway miles, as I'm in the LA area. I took it to the dealer when it hit 100k and all they suggested that I do is a get new brake pads (first time ever getting new ones so I wasn't suspicious of their suggestion).

If i were to sell this bad boy, would a Death Star shift knob add to the appeal?
Originally Posted by john21031
You should have changes the brake fluid few times already.
Inspect your cv boots. Your shocks and struts might need replacement too.
Serpentine belt! Thermostat should be changed too, as well as radiator and other coolant bypass hoses. They are old and you are risking them blow up any moment.
If taken care, this car can go indefinitely, until crashed.
The engine, with care, is capable of 300- 500K... especially doing highway in so cal.
Good luck.
P.S. Love Valencia, wish I could live there.
my fit has 230,000 miles and I've had to do the following.... a window motor, lock motor, serptantine belt 1 time, flushed radiator twice, oil changes every 8,000 miles with Torco sr-1 and rp filters, a valve adjustment at 200,000 miles, i need a starter soon, new struts now, the cat went out so i deleted it (thanks megan racing) and the clutch/rear main seal at 210,000 miles, 3 break jobs. Maintain it and small stuff here and there will go but just keep getting it fixed and you should be fine. I also drive mostly highway in So Cal.

Ps i grew up in Temple City, San Gabriel and Valencia (Go Vikings!) and you sir should stay put in Alhambra. Valencia is boring as fuh.

take care of your car and your car will take care of you.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
My Base AT 2007 just hit 150k miles and I'm encountering some significant engine problems. I had all of the coils and plugs changed and, as we speak, my mechanic is adjusting the valves (last adjusted at 103k). Fingers crossed!

Even if that works, I'm going to owe my mechanic something in the neighborhood of $1200, which wouldn't be a big deal except the car is probably only worth $3500 (before the engine problems).

Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
It's not about how much you can get for the car.

What matters is hom much more you can get from the car and compare the cost of what it needs to what you'll spend getting another car. I wouldn't be happy about buying a 150,000 mile car but I'll throw a grand at mine when it's that age, no problem.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gadfly
My Base AT 2007 just hit 150k miles and I'm encountering some significant engine problems. I had all of the coils and plugs changed and, as we speak, my mechanic is adjusting the valves (last adjusted at 103k). Fingers crossed!

Even if that works, I'm going to owe my mechanic something in the neighborhood of $1200, which wouldn't be a big deal except the car is probably only worth $3500 (before the engine problems).
So replacing wear parts is now 'significant engine problems?'

OP, you should have changed coolant, transmission and brake fluid more than once each by this point. Your car would likely appreciate spark plugs, coil packs and a valve adjustment.

Your struts/shocks have likely seen better days.

BUT.

I would keep maintaining it and drive it until it stopped being reliable.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
On a Honda it is!

Old 06-19-2015, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b

OP, you should have changed coolant, transmission and brake fluid more than once each by this point.
To give a little background, I bought the car used when it had about 140k on it. The previous owner took good care of it and the vehicle history shows that the car was meticulously maintained at the Honda dealership.

And yes, "significant engine problems", is probably not the right choice of words. What I meant to say was "a repair costing 30% of the purchase price".

I just hope the valve adjustment does the tick. I'd like to get at least another 20,000 miles out of it!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Wow 150 miles!

The much I have had a dodge is 62 miles and all where falling apart in peaces.

Something is need and another what. Based on your comments is a "want" so I'll suggest keep it. Regarding the bluethoot and power locks that's easy. You can buy an used pioneer app radio 2 and stream your cellphone screen. So now you have the most capable radio out there(look for app radio with android) and you will be amazed what a old radio is capable.

And the power locks just buy and aftermarket lock it will lock the doors when you are away and unlock when you are close to the car.

Ill say with the two upgrades you will invest 300 to 400 dollars and still be driving a nice car but with new technology. At least my two cents.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Hey y'all! My awesome 2007 Honda Fit Sport has just hit 447,000 miles. (That is NOT a typo). In the process of redoing it. I'm new to the forum so I will be posting before and after soon.
In answerto your question, yes...your Fit can last for as long as you take care of it!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShelleyAllison
Hey y'all! My awesome 2007 Honda Fit Sport has just hit 447,000 miles.
How much money/time/effort did you put in to achieve that kind of mileage? It seems like any car would go that far if there was no limit on what you were willing to spend on repairs.

Tell me, have you had to do major engine work? Are you using the original transmission?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShelleyAllison
Hey y'all! My awesome 2007 Honda Fit Sport has just hit 447,000 miles. (That is NOT a typo). In the process of redoing it. I'm new to the forum so I will be posting before and after soon.
In answerto your question, yes...your Fit can last for as long as you take care of it!
OMG I can not image a car with more than 100 miles. I think a made a good choice moving from a dodge to a honda. Any tips on how to do it?

Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by gadfly
How much money/time/effort did you put in to achieve that kind of mileage? It seems like any car would go that far if there was no limit on what you were willing to spend on repairs.

Tell me, have you had to do major engine work? Are you using the original transmission?
My Service History manual has no more room. Our Moon Boot has traveled back and forth to Atlanta, Ga from Columbus, Ga (basically 98 miles one way), 5 days a week from Sept '06 (when we bought it) until April of '14 (when we got a company car). Of course we've been back and forth to Washington, D.C., Florida and a couple of other places that are far away.

It's the original transmission, but the engine was replaced at 239,207 miles (but I am still proud). Transmission fluid at 220,000 and about 30-50,000 miles after. Oil was replaced every month because of the amount of travel we did, so about every 4-5,000 miles. Altenator replaced at 245,000. Spark plugs were replaced at 102,000 and about every 100,000 after with all coils being replaced at 390,000 miles.

Last edited by ShelleyAllison; 07-02-2015 at 07:08 AM.