Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Garmin EcoRoute HD

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Garmin EcoRoute HD

This is the scangauge with pichers!
OBD2 display for ..........$150.00 Yeah Baby!!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 03-20-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
That is nice... If I had seen it earlier I might not have ordered a ScanGauge II.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
Talking

I'm not sure if this is a stand alone device or an add on to the existing Garmin navi? But it looks like it will be a big hit with whether they'er tree huggers, tuners or hot rodders...... I like a new gadget T.C. and this one would replace one already in the Fit, but .............. 0' well

Old 03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
it is a garmin, plus you have to get a comptabile GPS unit, I do have garmin and but they always ways to nickle and dime me and screw me over, so no garmin for moi for ODB,
instead I opted for Equus 3130 Innova , I got it for $134, backlight, stores data points and I can use it stand alone just like scanguage.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hey stockrex,
Thankx I looked it up and that's a scanner/code reader = tool. I am looking for a real time engine function reader like the scangauge with graphics instead of the little digits. The Garmin has to be a navi type with bluetooth and the Eco is supposedly free from Garmin download....?

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 03-28-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Perrenoud Fit
you are correct it is tool, it does allow you to set up home display and add engine params to monitor. yes not as cool as having lcd guages but #s on lcd are good for me :-)

yes but I think you need the ODB to bluetooth adapter, which is 150$, not released yet??

Last edited by stockrex; 03-29-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
Help. I am lost. I have a Garmin with bluetooth so what can I do to get these gauges?

Thanks.

bill

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Garmin EcoRoute HD

Okay fun seekers, here's the hot skinny on the Garmin EcoRoute HD.

I just upgraded my Garmin nuvi 755T to the 1490T and hung an Ecoroute HD dongle off the OBDII port.

I chose the 1490T becasue it's compatable with the dongle and it boasts a 4.5" screen width. I chose the Ecoroute HD because it gives me an assortment of digital gauges including coolant temp, throttle position, mass air flow, timing advance, intake temp, engine load, rpm and a few more. You can select five to display at one time.

In the diagnostic mode it will also pull any engine codes currant and supposedly will clear them as well. It isn't clear if it pulls codes related to emissions only or not, my thought is any code that trips the CEL for sure, others not clear on. From this standpoint other OBDII devices are much more sophisticated, but this does the trick and the display is useful.

A quick run around the town and I'm very impressed, for what that's worth. Nice seeing engine temp if nothing else.

It will take a bit of time to get accustom to, however. It takes four screen touches to get from the map to the gauges. This isn't a big deal for the most part, but a one touch screen button would be nice.

I will certainly have the nuvi plugged in more often. Thing is that when it's not plugged in the dongle is still recording the fuel economy info, so when you plug it in again it is available. I'm not up to speed on the fuel economy functions - the FIT seems to have a great handle on that.

So run right out and set yourself up. Google "Ecoroute HD" and check to see if your bluetooth Garmin will work with it.

K_C_

Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Garmin EcoRoute HD Second LOOK

Just put a few more miles on my new Garmin EcoRoute HD and must say I really like this thing.

First, if you're navigating and you switch to the gauge screen you still receive voice commands for your route. No real need to see the map, but it is only four touches away.

Second, the EcoRoute feature not only gives you engine gauges but it also presents your fuel economy in a detailed graphic form.

Fuel Used
Cost [for the amount of fuel used]
Carbon Footprint
Avg MPG
Current MPG
Continuous Graphic Output [MPG over time]

I found this a bit distracting - the Fit's MPG output is very good IMO.

Third, the gauges. You can select five from a total of ten.

Engine Load
Coolant Temp
Intake Manifold Temp
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Throttle Position
Battery Voltage
Speed
RPM

Switching them around is as easy as touching one of the gauges and selecting what you want it to be from a list, way sweet.

Forth, Diagnostic Mode. When I enter this I get a message telling me No Codes Found - Ready for emissions test.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I've had the exact same setup (1490T + EcoRouteHD) in my car now for a couple weeks and I'm enjoying it. I've noticed that every now and then it does not connect successfully during startup and will not connect until the next time you turn the car on again. It seems to happen the most when it has been sitting outside while it has been hot and sunny for a while. Other than that, it's been kinda nice to keep an eye on my fuel usage and that I can ease up on my lead foot to save some fuel every now and then. I don't like the MPG gauge that is built into the dash on the fit. It seems really slow to update. The Garmin is pulling it off the port at a faster rate and I get an actual number, not a bar graph.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KyleJ
I've had the exact same setup (1490T + EcoRouteHD) in my car now for a couple weeks and I'm enjoying it. I've noticed that every now and then it does not connect successfully during startup and will not connect until the next time you turn the car on again. It seems to happen the most when it has been sitting outside while it has been hot and sunny for a while. Other than that, it's been kinda nice to keep an eye on my fuel usage and that I can ease up on my lead foot to save some fuel every now and then. I don't like the MPG gauge that is built into the dash on the fit. It seems really slow to update. The Garmin is pulling it off the port at a faster rate and I get an actual number, not a bar graph.
Gas saving? Instead of spending the money for Garmin just spend a bit more on gas and enjoy the car.

Besides spending time reading and touching screen on Garmin is too distracting.

Gadgets geez.

Yes I have a Garmin.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Gas saving? Instead of spending the money for Garmin just spend a bit more on gas and enjoy the car.

Gadgets geez.

Yes I have a Garmin.
Blach3sr - I'll agree, it's not going to help me save $$'s on fuel, but for some it might very well do that.

I'm discovering that I'm spending money on all sorts of things to be able to enjoy my Fit more. It's like getting the FIT to fit.

My eye balls are now on those seat covers [thank you very much_]... gonna see if I can just get the driver seat, there goes a few more dinaro.

But look at all the gauges!! You get to pick five and you know, gauges ain't gadgets_

Engine Load
Coolant Temp
Intake Manifold Temp
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Throttle Position
Battery Voltage
Speed
RPM

Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Gadgets geez.

Yes I have a Garmin.
Well, it's a nice bonus in addition to the gauges and obd reader. I like it all being consolidated into the Garmin. If you don't want it, don't use it.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:38 PM
... and yes I like my gadgets.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Some pics of mine.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Blach3sr - I'll agree, it's not going to help me save $$'s on fuel, but for some it might very well do that.

I'm discovering that I'm spending money on all sorts of things to be able to enjoy my Fit more. It's like getting the FIT to fit.

My eye balls are now on those seat covers [thank you very much_]... gonna see if I can just get the driver seat, there goes a few more dinaro.

But look at all the gauges!! You get to pick five and you know, gauges ain't gadgets_

Engine Load
Coolant Temp
Intake Manifold Temp
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Throttle Position
Battery Voltage
Speed
RPM
Originally Posted by KyleJ
... and yes I like my gadgets.
Only one that would interest me is the temp gauge, but now that been Fitting without one for a year I can live without it.

Yup the seat covers are worth it. I think they come in front only not just driver one. Only a few Hundred$$$.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
I hear ya, I will tell you the Fit runs a real nice 178F. Steady as a rock as far as I can tell.

My quest is beginning to focus on those covers and a hitch.
Then I'm taking a rest and possibly a cross country cruise in my outfitted FIT.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I hear ya, I will tell you the Fit runs a real nice 178F. Steady as a rock as far as I can tell.

My quest is beginning to focus on those covers and a hitch.
Then I'm taking a rest and possibly a cross country cruise in my outfitted FIT.
I am going to assume mine is running at 178 as well.

Better get the Clazzios before that trip. No more clinging hair etc. Hmmm I need someone to run up some black vinyl with blue stitching for my door panels. I will have the front ones off soon as my winker mirrors arrive. Then I am pretty much done as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Krimson Cardnal,

2 things
1) How much did the Garmin bluetooth and program cost? It doesn't have as much info as the scangauge yet but that just a matter of time before it does. Personally I am hooked on the graphics.
2) And where is your cross country ride taking you and which states will you be traveling through? If you come to the Va Beach area I love to meet/greet with you.

(That is too cool seeing the Garmin in your Fit 2 Thumbs Up! KyleJ)

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 08-06-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Perrenoud
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 1490/1490T 5-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic (Factory Refurbished): Electronics

Amazon.com: Garmin ecoRoute HD Vehicle Diagnostics Communicator: Electronics

Not sure, but it's looking like I'll be heading west on a northern crossing - Colorado/Utah/California then coming back via Texas/Oklahoma/Gulf Coast to Florida then north. I'll keep you PM'd.

thanks for the tumsup

Quick Reply: Garmin EcoRoute HD