Fit I.C.E. Threads discussing in-car electronics including audio, video, security, and navigation systems for the Honda Fit/Jazz

If you need more bass up front, I found a space saving solution

Old 03-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Thumbs up If you need more bass up front, I found a space saving solution

Many people, including myself often get a bit disappointed with the bass response of most aftermarket door replacement speakers, especially if they are not willing to spend an arm and a leg. This resorts in some to use bass boost which adds distortion.
Adding a small sub up front would resolve this issue and will make your subs sound as if they are coming from your front speakers but we all know the Fit's in particular have very little space up front, even under the seats which previously made most under-seat subs impossible.

but I did find an under-seat, powered 8" sub that just came out and not only sounds impressively good but fits under the seat..just barely. It's one of the smallest loaded enclosures of this group and also the most unique.
I'm talking about the Pioneer TS-WH500A which instead of having a magnet, voice coils..etc behind a cone, it has 2 of them on either side of a hinge attached to 2 flat pistons demonstrated here:
Cheapest I found is $217 on Amazon, so it's not that cheap but it does output extremely punchy bass that can go relatively deep and clean for such a small sub/enclosure design. It was loud enough to rattle my rear view mirror But whatever you choose, make sure it's no bigger than this one at 13.4 x 2.4 x 9.8 inches because this thing just barely fits under the driver seat while still allowing seat movement. I originally wanted the one from Kicker but an inch wider and thicker makes it too big to be useful.

I've been wanting a small sub like this because I needed something to augment my 12" sub in the back and make the bass sound like it's up front rather than behind me but it does sound good enough that some people looking to keep all their space would find this as a suitable alternative to having an actual sub. I don't know how other under-seat subs sound since few would fit under the seats so I can't really compare how good this one is over any other but I wrote this up because I was more than impressed with the output and sound quality.

Just thought I'd share

Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
this looks very interesting. let us know when u get it.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
this looks very interesting. let us know when u get it.
lol, uhm I already got it and installed it. How else would I know how it sounds?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
lol post real pics then!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm... This is a good solutions !
I am thinking of getting rid my Rockford Powered subs on the trunk...

Yes, please post pictures, I want to see how tight under the seat...
Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hmmm... This is a good solutions !
I am thinking of getting rid my Rockford Powered subs on the trunk...

Yes, please post pictures, I want to see how tight under the seat...
Thanks
Well I said it just barely fits so that's pretty darn tight but heres the seat back and the second pic is seat pushed forward. Btw if you want to get rid of your subs, you might want 2 of these but of course they won't replace a larger sub unless you just really want to save maximum space.

Last edited by NightScreams; 03-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NightScreams
Well I said it just barely fits so that's pretty darn tight but heres the seat back and the second pic is seat pushed forward. Btw if you want to get rid of your subs, you might want 2 of these but of course they won't replace a larger sub unless you just really want to save maximum space.
Yes, that is my plan to have 2 of these under both front seats...
as long as both seats can slide back and forth without hitting the sub then
it is ok

I just wondering should I keep 2 subs in mono or stereo... hmmmmm

Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 PM
Yes, seems to move back n forth just fine. Oh also, the included RCA male wire is too short. The whole harness could stand to be longer but you'll want a few feet of RCA if you intend to get this particular one.
It's easier to run the wires if you take out the front seats too.

This is the cheapest one I came across. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-TS-WH500A-CAR-UNDERSEAT-8-25-SUB-WOOFER-ENCLOSURE-150-WATTS/291406164514?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D065ac1195fb54442be48ae8f660f55d7%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D28%26sd%3D261809869966

Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NightScreams
Yes, seems to move back n forth just fine. Oh also, the included RCA male wire is too short. The whole harness could stand to be longer but you'll want a few feet of RCA if you intend to get this particular one.
It's easier to run the wires if you take out the front seats too.

This is the cheapest one I came across. Pioneer TS WH500A Car Underseat 8 25" Sub Woofer Enclosure 150 Watts | eBay
Wow, that is cheaper then Amazon !
Thanks

Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone else install these? I really am missing bass in my car but don't want to lose cargo space.

Also is this in a GD or GE?

Last edited by shinjari; 06-09-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
That is sweet. Did you find you needed to install one under each front seat to balance the bass effect left to right, or is bass nondirectional enough that it works well enough for both sides?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Since finding this link now I'm torn between this Pioneer and the Alpine Electronics PWE-S8. Leaning towards the alpine due to slightly increased RMS and similar foot print.

To those that have installed this under their GE8 fits, how did you mount it to the floor? Isn't the fuel tank under the front seats? Does the seat hit the enclosure at all when you adjust it forwards or backwards for different height drivers?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Bummer no one has chimed in on this. Guess Alpina still has big subs in the trunk =)

Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Since finding this link now I'm torn between this Pioneer and the Alpine Electronics PWE-S8. Leaning towards the alpine due to slightly increased RMS and similar foot print.

To those that have installed this under their GE8 fits, how did you mount it to the floor? Isn't the fuel tank under the front seats? Does the seat hit the enclosure at all when you adjust it forwards or backwards for different height drivers?
Bummer no one has chimed in on this. Guess Alpina still has big subs in the trunk =)
Hi Shinjari ,
worse, I don't even have any sub-woofer now, I sold my Rockford Fosgate trunk powered sub long time ago since my new job require me to bring lot of industrial equipment in my trunk,
so for now, my stereo is just standard OEM Honda...
and I also can NOT buy any under seat sub-woofer until I have money to buy pair of Recaros seat up front...
I don't want to buy any under seat sub-woofer only to find out it won't find under the Recaros
so the biggest problem is finding money to buy a pair of Recaros hahaha

But just like you, if I have the space under the seat,
I would buy the Alpine PWE-S8 since
I think it will give a more "familiar" sounding bass due to it's conventional bass drive (speaker) design instead of Pioneer design...
Plus the enclosure of the Alpine seemed more solidly built than the Pioneeer...

If you buy the Alpine, please kindly wrote a review so I can learn from you

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 12-30-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
I'm saving up for one of the Alpines now. I'll definitely let you and the forum know how it works. Only concern is I have 3d floor mats and they tuck under the front seats pretty far so I dont know if they will interfere with the sub.

Worst case I just return it since Amazon has an amazing return policy.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:58 AM
I'm saving up for one of the Alpines now. I'll definitely let you and the forum know how it works. Only concern is I have 3d floor mats and they tuck under the front seats pretty far so I dont know if they will interfere with the sub.

Worst case I just return it since Amazon has an amazing return policy.
I also have a GE (2012) with aftermarket floormats from the previous owner, although I am not sure mine are the same as yours. They say "3D" on them and they appear to be custom molded for the Fit.

Anyway I recently had a Geek Squad technician install a Pioneer TS-WH500A under my driver's seat and it was worth every penny. Yeah, I had someone else do it.. it was a pretty involved installation that included taking the seat out. I had him cut my rear floormat to fit the exact dimensions of the subwoofer and now I have a secured underseat subwoofer, easily removed floormats, and all of my cargo space intact. Worth the ~$100 or so IMO, clean factory look and lifetime warranty meaning I can get it serviced at any Best Buy with an auto bay. Frequency and Gain controller was affixed near the steering wheel on the right side with the included velcro strip.

As for the subwoofer itself... fantastic. I have the stock six speaker sound system and the technician even commented that my car had the best factory audio he has ever heard in his shop. The subwoofer pushes the bass way deeper and it even rattles the rearview mirror when turnt up. I like a lot of hip-hop and trap music and this fits my needs perfectly, at all volume ranges. I got it for $172.95 new on Amazon.

Thank you again OP for confirming that this subwoofer is a good fit for the Fit, although I did have to search your post history to confirm you had a GE.

Buy this for your GE. Cut your floormats. And be prepared for some shoe marks on the sub when you have passengers in the rear left

EDIT: To answer some of the other questions in this thread: The fuel tank is indeed underneath the driver's seat, although the technician seemed to think it was HVAC related. The subwoofer still fits flush with the back of the driver's seat, although it is visible and the passenger sitting behind it will not have much room to stretch their legs. The bass is nondirectional enough, you can't notice any imbalance and if I ever come up on another $275 then I'm assuming I could have another one installed under the passenger seat. The driver's seat still slides back and forth fine but it is smoother if nobody is sitting in it when it's being adjusted. I did pick up 6ft of RCA cable at Walmart before going to Best Buy and the technician did end up using it all. I'm no audiophile, my "good" pair of headphones are ATH-M50s, but this sounds so good and so clean it might as well have been a factory option.

Last edited by overslept; 09-24-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Do you have any pictures of the sub installed under your seat? =)

Old 09-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Do you have any pictures of the sub installed under your seat? =)
Here.

I'm 6'2" and sit with my seat all the way back, all the time.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
That is awesome. You are definitely right about the rear passenger not being any to tuck their feet under the seat anymore.

Also I believe we have the same mats.

Thanks for the pics. How's it sound with that nontraditional speaker design?

Jealous you found a burst orange in manual. That was one of my top choices for color when I was looking for my Fit.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 AM
That is awesome. You are definitely right about the rear passenger not being any to tuck their feet under the seat anymore.

Also I believe we have the same mats.

Thanks for the pics. How's it sound with that nontraditional speaker design?

Jealous you found a burst orange in manual. That was one of my top choices for color when I was looking for my Fit.
If by "nontraditional" you mean with the subwoofer in a non-central location, it sounds awesome. I used to drive my parents' '08 Civic Coupe with the factory-built subwoofer on the rear deck, and this hits harder and cleaner. I don't have much to compare it to, but this is the subwoofer you're looking for. No doubt. It doesn't hold a candle to my friend's 2x 12" boxes in his Mustang, but I have all my trunk space, and in the Fit, that means everything. Built-in amp, too.

And yeah, I scored on the 5-speed OrangeBurst Metallic. I just got it about a month and a half ago, 26k miles, very clean. It had a lien on it and the seller listed on CL for 11k firm. In California!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you need more bass up front, I found a space saving solution