Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit I.C.E. (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-i-c-e/)
-   -   Speaker fuzziness help (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-i-c-e/92664-speaker-fuzziness-help.html)

EvieJimenez 02-23-2016 01:32 PM

Speaker fuzziness help

Hey guys so a few weeks ago I bought some alpine sps-610c and 610 to replace my factory speakers. Right here:

Had my brother install them. They fit just fine without the frame that it came with. I thought I was gonna see a huge difference but I pretty much got the opposite of what I was going for. Now when I play the music above around 20 I get ALOT of static and the sound gets all broken up and cut off and just sounds bad. Do you guys think that something is wired wrong or is it something related to the fact that its a stock radio?

I bought an aftermarket kenwood radio already but have not gotten around to installing it (made a different thread about it too). Do you think that when I install that radio the sound will be fixed? Thanks guys!

Radio I bought:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

dwtaylorpdx 02-23-2016 05:30 PM

I demo'ed those at the store and they were not as clear as some others..

While the stock radio isn't a audiophile unit it is about 25 watts per channel and that should be enough to push the Alpines..

Sometimes you need the rings installed to give the speakers good body contact to allow them to not shake against the steel.

Have fun..

EvieJimenez 02-23-2016 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx (Post 1336961)
I demo'ed those at the store and they were not as clear as some others..

While the stock radio isn't a audiophile unit it is about 25 watts per channel and that should be enough to push the Alpines..

Sometimes you need the rings installed to give the speakers good body contact to allow them to not shake against the steel.

Have fun..

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, the speakers do not fit with the frames w/o drilling into the steel (which im trying to avoid). Any suggestions on how I might get around that?

bargainguy 02-23-2016 05:36 PM

I looked up the speaker sensitivity for your Alpines: 88 db. These are not terribly efficient car speakers.

Ideally, if you're running them from the original head unit, you'd want something in the 92 db+ range, everything else being equal. Your speakers need more power than your current head unit can deliver, and are probably starting to break up at your head unit's power limits as it struggles to reproduce the signal faithfully.

Now if I'm right here, slapping in your Kenwood could make all the difference in the world, as it seems to have more power output than your head unit. I say this with reservations because I'm diagnosing at a distance.

EvieJimenez 02-23-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by bargainguy (Post 1336964)
I looked up the speaker sensitivity for your Alpines: 88 db. These are not terribly efficient car speakers.

Ideally, if you're running them from the original head unit, you'd want something in the 92 db+ range, everything else being equal. Your speakers need more power than your current head unit can deliver, and are probably starting to break up at your head unit's power limits as it struggles to reproduce the signal faithfully.

Now if I'm right here, slapping in your Kenwood could make all the difference in the world, as it seems to have more power output than your head unit. I say this with reservations because I'm diagnosing at a distance.

Thanks bargainguy! I will try installing the HU and see how it sounds from there. For future reference, what speakers would you recommend? I got these as a gift so I would not mind changing them in the somewhat near future.

bargainguy 02-23-2016 05:46 PM

I happen to like a small company called Hybrid Audio Technologies for car speakers. I had the Imagine speakers in the front of my '08 Sport before it got totaled a few weeks ago. These speakers aren't cheap - ~$200 for the Mirus and ~$300 for the Imagine - but well worth it IMHO.

But try living with your Alpines first. You've got them in there already, and it might just be getting your Kenwood installed that will bring them back to life.

dwtaylorpdx 02-23-2016 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by EvieJimenez (Post 1336963)
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately, the speakers do not fit with the frames w/o drilling into the steel (which im trying to avoid). Any suggestions on how I might get around that?

I've used a bead of polyurethane caulk/adhesive (NOT silicone!) its pretty permanent though... You can get them off with blood shed.. ;) Its similar other stuff that hold your windshield in.. It comes in clear from Ace hardware.

If you going to us the Kenwood I'd go there then fiddle ,, Like "bargainguy" said..

cnordt24 03-03-2016 03:28 PM

The head unit will definitely help, but with the 88db sensitivity you should go with a separate amp as well. The Alpine KTP-445U ( ) is a phenomenal unit and won't cost you a fortune. Your aftermarket unit is probably putting out around 50wats max (divide that by 4 and it doesn't give you much per channel) while the Alpine unit will give you 45 wats per channel which is plenty to push those Alpine speakers. I have one in my car pushing 6 1/2 MB Quart components in the front and 5 1/4 Alpine Type R components in the rear, they are plenty loud and the amp isn't even turned up all the way. The speakers you have aren't terrible, they need a little extra kick.