Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Is this wiring the same for 2009 Sport Fits or is the wiring different? I am trying to install my led key ring light like this.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
I found the same Pilot brand LED strip at Wally World last night for $15 instead of the usual $20 that the parts store charges. The front went onto the under-dash panels, and the rears are on the very front edge of the back seat bottoms. Wiring the back took a bit of time. I ended up pulling the upholstery from the edge of the seats and routing the wires under it; through the seat hinge and then under the carpet. Looks good, though!

EDIT: For anyone following at home, this is (edit)NOT the correct schematic for you to power your lights with the dome light or with a switch.

EDIT AGAIN: I got to thinking again last night (plenty of time to do that at work since all my passengers are asleep and I'm not allowed a radio), and both of the schematics I posted are wrong. A diode wouldn't do any good with either of them. I'm going to have to delve into the fuse box and see which direction wires are running to figure this out, but I'll get it done soon.

Last edited by E = Mc2; 05-07-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Arrrggghhh!!! Third revision.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
can u hook up the led lights as lights when your turn on your headlights? is that possible to connect? i have mine as dome lights already but it just turns on when you open the door.. is it possible to connect them so that they stay on?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by omfgitshimm
can u hook up the led lights as lights when your turn on your headlights? is that possible to connect? i have mine as dome lights already but it just turns on when you open the door.. is it possible to connect them so that they stay on?
Page 4 has alot of solutions that might help you. I used a switch on mine (see post #62) I dont have mine turning on when I open the door. I flip the switch at night and after the car is on. But I going to add some leds to the door sills and use the dome switch mod to power them.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by omfgitshimm
Assuming you know how to operate a multimeter:

Question #1: You can hook the lights up to any wire which is hot when the lights are on. I do not know where that circuit is, but there may be a thread in this forum. You could also spend some time under the dash and find it.

Question #2: Stay on? As in: even when the key is turned off? The white/red lead for the dome lights is hot all the time. Personally, I'd wire them to a switched lead so they only come on when the key is turned. The #3 fuse is switched and you can tap 12v there.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
I'm thinking of doing this mod with a SPDT switch. My wiring setup would be as follows: In-line tap the lower-left constant-on power wire in that upper green connector, put an in-line fuse after that, have that power go directly to the lights in the circuit, then the ground wire from the lights would go into the middle connector of the SPDT switch. The outer connectors would go to (a) the upper right wire in that green connector (the dome light's switched ground) and (b) a constant ground of your choosing.

I'm picking up a switch from oznium that has an on-off-on position. This way, I will have a setting where the lights won't come on with the dome lights (or at all), a setting where they're wired to come on with the dome lights (not all the time, just when doors open / unlock button pressed), and a setting to turn them on when the doors are closed. Your circuit still gets power since it's the ground that's being switched and you're still hooked up to constant power.

I hope it works out!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
It doesn't look like anyone's paying attention to this thread anymore, but here's my wiring diagram in case it helps anybody:

Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
I assume the very first fuse box pic is from a GD. Anyone point out the spots to wire a GE? I am just looking for the simple lights on when door open thing. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
It doesn't look like anyone's paying attention to this thread anymore, but here's my wiring diagram in case it helps anybody:
I'm kind of following this thread. I'm waiting for someone to do this on a slk230. I'm having a hard time doing this. Its for a friend. The fuse box is under the hood so I have to find an existing hole and put it through there. And the center consul will behard to get passed, not like the 09 fits which has a hole just for it :] well, it will take time and effort.. but for the mean time, I'm tring to put extra lights to the rear!!! It will be under both driver and passenger seats. But in the mean time, I can enjoy the lights that I have right now ( sound countroled lights :]) well, if anyone can help me finding info about the slk stuff, it will be great!!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I assume the very first fuse box pic is from a GD. Anyone point out the spots to wire a GE? I am just looking for the simple lights on when door open thing. Thanks.
Bumping this. I just got my cathodes today and am anxious to install them.

Please anyone.

bill

Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I got mine in on Monday, bought some extra wire, and I'm going to put them in today. To those who got cold cathodes, how did you connect your spare wire with the transformer? Soldering ok? I'm a noob with this stuff

Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chinaman727
I got mine in on Monday, bought some extra wire, and I'm going to put them in today. To those who got cold cathodes, how did you connect your spare wire with the transformer? Soldering ok? I'm a noob with this stuff
Solder works

Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I got my lights installed today! Click-able!

I know they are gross XD

edit: JustrealizedIforgottocutthatone!!AHH

By the way, I hooked them up to the dome light like the walk-through. I didn't zip tie the transformer but I did try to get the wires out of the way.

They go on and off with the dome light, except for when the car is on and running and I have the doors shut but the dome light turned on. Is that normal?

My next step is to get a switch installed so that I can turn them on whenever I want. How would I go about doing this? Is there a 12-volt power supply in the fuse box that we used? My goal is to hook the power up there, and get a switch right next to the mirror control. There is a little spot for a switch I think.

Last edited by chinaman727; 10-22-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chinaman727
They go on and off with the dome light, except for when the car is on and running and I have the doors shut but the dome light turned on. Is that normal?
I think so, yeah.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
Mine work and look like Chinamans. I did use a lot of duct tape on the transformers and wires as well as a few ties.

There is a thread somewhere about how to wire them so they work like dome light. Too complicated for me. I think it is similar to the wiring for the OEM floor lights.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi - looks like you guys are right into it. I cannot find a brighter replacement bulb for the dome light in Canada. Any ideas just ot brighten the interior up when I need it to be?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lcooney
Hi - looks like you guys are right into it. I cannot find a brighter replacement bulb for the dome light in Canada. Any ideas just ot brighten the interior up when I need it to be?
Ebay where I got mine.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
A brighter bulb? Do you know the specs, if so? Thanks,
L.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lcooney
A brighter bulb? Do you know the specs, if so? Thanks,
L.
Somewhat brighter and it is blue. Sorry do not know the specs.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:49 AM
We cannot get them in Canada - where might you have got it, but blue, is it brighter or just way cool-er?
L.

Quick Reply: DIY Guide: Wiring lights along w/ the dome light.