Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/)
-   -   HID Lights In Stock Housing (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-exterior-illumination/32239-hid-lights-stock-housing.html)

rocksnap 10-04-2008 10:58 AM

HID Lights In Stock Housing

I came sooooo close to buying one of these kits for my Fit. But after a little research there is no way I will install this or any other "HID kit" in any of my cars. There is a lot more science in what is involved in a PROPERLY designed headlight. Much more than installing a HID bulb and ballast for sure.

How many times have you driven down the road at night and cursed some other car who's headlights blinded you from way off to the side, never mind being in front of it. All from improper light scatter. The light housing has to be designed to work with what ever light source (bulb/filiment) there is inside of it.

Our cars are not designed for HID's. Or anything else but what they already use (incandecent). Hey, I am all for modding cars. You want to slam it, lots of bling, killer stereo, forced induction? Go for it! But blinding every other driver in the road is a but much besides creating a big safty issue. You want a different color light? Have at it. Just install a different color bulb of the stock bulb type, an H11.

solbrothers 10-04-2008 11:37 AM

yep. exactly. i cant stand people with HID kits in their non-retrofitted headlights. thanks for not being an asshole, and realizing that, in order to do it right, you'll need a retrofit

B1str0 10-04-2008 11:50 AM

wellll... all of us with modded fits in orlando have hid's in non retrofit housing.. when my car was stock height i would get alot of highbeam flashback from other drivers but now that my car is lowered nobody says anything, i drive behind and next to cops also... i know i glare like crazy but its not blinding.. other lowered cars i drive behind however, i can light up there cabin. but you cant forget that other cars have OEM hid setups and blind the hell out of me also... me personally i cant stand the huge ram's and f150's with hid's and hid fogs..thats blinding.. also headlight aiming plays a role too i aimed mine a little down to help.

trancedsailor 10-04-2008 12:12 PM

Now I'm on the fence...

caloyski5 10-04-2008 01:11 PM

if you have the low beam only hid kits, the one without the bulb shield/cover, then it is blinding. but the hi-low kit with a shield doesnt blind as much. i would personally do a retrofit if ever i change my bulb to HID

low beam w/o shield
http://img1.tradeget.com/adlida/Q6UD...n_lamp_h13.jpg
hi-low with shield
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5208671..._H4_3_bulb.jpg

gimme 10-04-2008 02:26 PM

:confused: doesn't the prius have HID? they don't have projectors

Shortwave 10-04-2008 05:09 PM

So did 04-05 STI's and early model Acura TL's. No projectors as well. Glare shields and adjusting headlights help quite a bit.

gimme 10-04-2008 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shortwave (Post 445718)
So did 04-05 STI's and early model Acura TL's. No projectors as well. Glare shields and adjusting headlights help quite a bit.

i think the TL was 00-02 or something close to that. good lookin out!

avocado123 10-04-2008 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 75308

gimme 10-04-2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by avocado123 (Post 445741)

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL! you made my day :D

avocado123 10-04-2008 06:00 PM

I'm glad to read that sir, now I can sleep tonight ;)

-----EDIT-----

Thanks for the rep!

MNfit 10-04-2008 07:15 PM

I ran HIDS in my grand am with out a Retro fit for a long time with no problems, no one ever flashed there high beams at me. HIDs in chrome housed light you can imagine the kind of glare it had. I ran the lights until one burnt out then went back to stock. Not even kidding 2 days later I was pulled over for going 5 over and the office asked me to turn on my Lights. after seeing they where the stock he said "your lucky, I have seen your car before and I know you had HIDs. After market HIDs are illegal and we will be craking down on it." He then wrote me a ticket for 5 over and no front plate. Basicly my point is the only way im running HIDs again is with a Reto fit.

JDMchris.com 10-04-2008 07:22 PM

ive had HIDs in my fit for over 2 years and have not once been flashed. Bixenon dont glare as much also the Fit headlight takes them pretty decent with hardly no glare... My JDM headlights glare all over the place and I STILL dont get flashed. I will take blinding people over not being able to see anyday.

xonexlifex 10-05-2008 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JDMchris.com (Post 445840)
ive had HIDs in my fit for over 2 years and have not once been flashed. Bixenon dont glare as much also the Fit headlight takes them pretty decent with hardly no glare... My JDM headlights glare all over the place and I STILL dont get flashed. I will take blinding people over not being able to see anyday.

im with chris on this one anyday!

dank24 10-05-2008 07:28 PM

Yea, their are little sheilds you can purchase that cover the top of the bulb. Works great.

FELIXY69 10-30-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by JDMchris.com (Post 445840)

i love u chris....i'd rather be able to see the road my self....!

Super Mario 10-30-2008 06:23 AM

I have the Bi-Xenon's and I didn't know that it had less glare because of the shield. I thought all HID's came with the shield but I guess not. I never really noticed a glare with my lights. I aimed them down quite a bit also to be sure I didn't blind other drivers.

And I agree that a lot of cars come stock HID's without projectors. Prius, 3.2 TL, heck even some Toyota Siennas... Can't see why we can't if they can.

Crawly 11-01-2008 12:44 PM

I tried it....didnt care for it at all. There was no cut off of light at all. I was shooting light all over the place. Tried adjusting them but didn;t see a difference at all. So I took them out. If the housing was originallymade for it, that wouldn't happen. It's all taste too. If you like them enough, then you'll make them work. They just didn't do it for me.

I lucked out though in my case. My Yamaha Grizzly quad uses the exact same bulb as the Fit....so guess where they are? :D They kick ass in the woods let me tell ya lol Bright as hell and look really trick.

tommyc123 09-26-2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rocksnap (Post 445423)
I came sooooo close to buying one of these kits for my Fit. But after a little research there is no way I will install this or any other "HID kit" in any of my cars. There is a lot more science in what is involved in a PROPERLY designed headlight. Much more than installing a HID bulb and ballast for sure.

How many times have you driven down the road at night and cursed some other car who's headlights blinded you from way off to the side, never mind being in front of it. All from improper light scatter. The light housing has to be designed to work with what ever light source (bulb/filiment) there is inside of it.

Our cars are not designed for HID's. Or anything else but what they already use (incandecent). Hey, I am all for modding cars. You want to slam it, lots of bling, killer stereo, forced induction? Go for it! But blinding every other driver in the road is a but much besides creating a big safty issue. You want a different color light? Have at it. Just install a different color bulb of the stock bulb type, an H11.

Hi, my car has Cateye H11 4k bulbs. I cannot find cateye replacement bulbs anywhere! What are my options?
Thank you.

JAZZdatFIT 09-27-2012 02:51 AM

has anyone tried casper shield or glare shield for their HIDs in halogen casing? i know some hi-low H4 HID come with a small shield, but i think it doesnt reduce the glare enough :x