Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY - footwell illumination, ambient lights & glovebox illumination

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the comments all.

Originally Posted by FlyGuy65
Great Job!

Any chance you could list the part numbers for the lights you used? I checked the superbrightled website, and they have a bewildering array of choices.

Also, now that you have had it for a while, is there anything you would do different? More/brighter lights, etc?

Thanks!

John
Yea, superbrightleds.com can be weird to navigate. I used LBM-W2-LP (cool white) for the rear footwell illumination and gloveboxes, LBM-xW4 (cool white) for front footwell illumination, and hf5-b5590 for the front footwell ambient lights. Another good place (but more expensive) for LEDs is oznium.com, I like their straight black modules

Things I would probably do differently:
1) kill the blue ambient footwell lights - just can't get myself to like them really...
2) use LBM-W2-LP for front footwell illumination - LBM-xW4 is a bit too bright and bulky, but they're great for trunk illumination!

Otherwise, we're loving the mod.

Last edited by Zalthras; 08-29-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Looks great!!! Your wife got a sweet ride. I'd like to do the ambient lighting eventually...and lighting in the glove compartment would be more than useful.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kroze
So....where is the DIY guide?
+1

quoted for truth

Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Zalthras: you are awesome bro!! #1

Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
nice, i would so do this one day

Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zalthras
My wife requested that I put in footwell illumination lights into her Fit...
... Well it came out better than I expected so I thought I'd share:

This surely isn't my quote, and I don't often quote the so completely and incredibly clueless [unfortunately] among us...

... but I must make an exception, this time: Uh, that's a little "Above my pay grade!"

Well, it's at least above my "electronic skills" pay grade... quite a bit as a matter of fact! I hope you don't mind me not showing this to my wife... "Hey, can you do that to my car?"

Hey, great work... where do you live so I can hire you to do mine? I can watch you do it, and maybe, maybe, I'll learn something!

"Impressive... most impressive!" You are now a Jedi Master!

Again, great work!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8
Hey, great work... where do you live so I can hire you to do mine? I can watch you do it, and maybe, maybe, I'll learn something!
Hey, thanks. I'm up and Portland, Oregon and wouldn't mind wiring up something for ya.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Hey, thanks. I'm up and Portland, Oregon and wouldn't mind wiring up something for ya.
So much for that idea... I live on the complete edge of the opposite coast! Ah well, was a good idea anyway. Actually, it's not routing wires and deciding where to put things, or what I want... I have experience with those. It's the fuse panel/volts/watts/amps/etc. and such that give me a serious pause.

Nevertheless, you need to do some more Fit lighting or electronics projects... they're great info and seriously fun to watch. You break up the mundane that sometimes sets into forums when nothing new or overwhelmingly exciting gets posted for awhile.

I like seeing everything in these forums. It's just that details such as yours add that little extra to forums.

Thanks for the "wiring something up for me" offer, just the same!

Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
how much it cost you to do all this things?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
The 10mm chrome housing on oznium.com fit the superflux 4chips great. You can order the superflux LEDs from them with resistor already in place and heat shrunk too. good stuff. I envy how clean you have kept your wiring. When I pop off my footwell dash cover about 25 different wires, a crossover, and 2 relays drop down and I'm starting to forget what anything does anymore

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 04-23-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Whoa, that's incredible. I wish I was closer to Oregon, because I would absolutely pay you to do this for my Fit. I'm afraid it's beyond my own abilities...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
That's great work as well as detailed explanation. That being said, it's not a DIY project for me. I'd have about as much chance of executing this project as I would building a rocket ship.

I paid too much just to have the dealership install the floormat hooks because I didn't want to go at the (carpeting?) with an exacto knife. There's no way I'd do a job like this, even as much as I admire the results.

Good Job though. Excellent work.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hello_you1
how much it cost you to do all this things?
for what you see here:
~$20-25 for LEDs
~$90 for Ambient light kit

the cost for wires and tools will vary by situation since I already had them on hand.

Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
... I envy how clean you have kept your wiring. When I pop off my footwell dash cover about 25 different wires, a crossover, and 2 relays drop down and I'm starting to forget what anything does anymore
Hehe, I know exactly how that feels. Especially when you can't find the stacks of papers you kept notes on about what wires do what and go to where.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
OP Nice Job on the wiring. I've wanted to do this for a while now and really like the glove box lighting. Just don't have the time to jump into a project like this. (maybe this summer however... )

as a side note. Can we un-sticky this (i'm not hating but...) something's gotta go. get rid of the pointless announcements and move this & and the unlock my doors to the DIY thread. there's nothing like having to scroll a page and a half to get to the first relevant post in a forum.

~SB

Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
Is there a way to buy a pigtail to the factory lighting switch?

I already have the switch and I don't want to use connectors or solder to it. I'd rather just solder to a pigtail to plug-and-play in case the switch ever goes out.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Is there a way to buy a pigtail to the factory lighting switch?

I already have the switch and I don't want to use connectors or solder to it. I'd rather just solder to a pigtail to plug-and-play in case the switch ever goes out.
I can tell you the manufacturer part#: Sumitomo 6098-2779. But I don't know a Honda part# for it, or if it even exists. If you or anyone can figure out a Honda part#, please let me know =)

Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
I can tell you the manufacturer part#: Sumitomo 6098-2779. But I don't know a Honda part# for it, or if it even exists. If you or anyone can figure out a Honda part#, please let me know =)
It does not exist as a Honda part. I just got off the phone with my parts guy. I'll have to buy the entire setup to use the switch.

Since I have about ten red and white LED modules from a previous setup, I will be wiring up some LED modules to the dome lights (per your schematic) so that when the doors are open I have foot lighting at least up front. I also need to add some in the cargo area and maybe in the rear floorboard like yours.

Last edited by BlueBoogers; 05-23-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the comments all.

Yea, superbrightleds.com can be weird to navigate. I used LBM-W2-LP (cool white) for the rear footwell illumination and gloveboxes, LBM-xW4 (cool white) for front footwell illumination, and hf5-b5590 for the front footwell ambient lights. Another good place (but more expensive) for LEDs is oznium.com, I like their straight black modules

Things I would probably do differently:
1) kill the blue ambient footwell lights - just can't get myself to like them really...
2) use LBM-W2-LP for front footwell illumination - LBM-xW4 is a bit too bright and bulky, but they're great for trunk illumination!

Otherwise, we're loving the mod.
What is the function of the zener? Was that to protect the LEDs from overvoltage? Thanks, cool thread.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
What is the function of the zener? Was that to protect the LEDs from overvoltage? Thanks, cool thread.
The zener was a mistake, use a regular diode. A Zener has a reverse breakdown voltage so it doesn't work the same.

The diode is to allow a one-way flow of current from the domelight on (from door open) power source to the footwell LEDs.

Since my footwells have two methods of turning on:
1) door open
2) dash switch (rewired from accessory harness)

I put in the diode to prevent the dash switch from turning on the dome light (assuming that the domelight switch is set to 'door')

Hence, it is the 'On' switch for footwell lights only.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
The zener was a mistake, use a regular diode. A Zener has a reverse breakdown voltage so it doesn't work the same.

The diode is to allow a one-way flow of current from the domelight on (from door open) power source to the footwell LEDs.

Since my footwells have two methods of turning on:
1) door open
2) dash switch (rewired from accessory harness)

I put in the diode to prevent the dash switch from turning on the dome light (assuming that the domelight switch is set to 'door')

Hence, it is the 'On' switch for footwell lights only.
Gotcha. Thanks! If I do this I'll probably skip the dash switch.

Quick Reply: DIY - footwell illumination, ambient lights & glovebox illumination